May 26, 2019, 06:59:05 AM

Author Topic: Is drafting Bars and Luck a solid idea?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Is drafting Bars and Luck a solid idea?
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
I have found that Love is all over the place, from 4th to FA. Bars is going 4th to 6th round.
 What is their real draft position?
 Would you spend a 5th on Bars and a 6th/7th on Love in the same draft? Can we afford to have 2 "redshirt" players from our picks this year?

I have run many mocks where this scenario has come about.
Scharping in the 4th/5th for future G or Bars?
Someone like Higdon at RB or Love with a late rounder?

The results lately have been good on "redshirt" picks as far as I can tell but not all injuries are equal.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Is drafting Bars and Luck a solid idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:07:27 PM »
I worry about Love's durability in the NFL.

It's also the reason I worry about Aaron Jones.

Both great RB's, but...........................

Would like them to look for a RB that doesn't have "major injury" on their resume'............if anyone exists.  confused(

As for Bars. I'd take him in the 5th in a heart beat. He was the glue of that ND OL and they definitely felt his loss when he wasn't in there.

The fact he's a G/T prospect makes me like him even more............versatility.

I'd stash him for a year and not even blink.

In December he had this to say................

“It’s going great,” stated Bars. “I’m way, way ahead of schedule. Everything feels phenomenal. I’m squatting, hang clinging and doing platform stuff. I don’t have any problems and it’s all flowing. Things couldn’t be going better.”

The next step for Bars will be to let his knee fully heal, but running is in the very near future for the 6-foot-6, 315-pounder.

“I’m continuing to work my muscles and letting my ligaments heal,” said Bars. “I’m going to start running in a month to six weeks.”

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/8342/cotton-bowl-alex-bars-update

Bears like him a lot.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/28/chicago-bears-notre-dame-offensive-line-prospect-nfl-combine-draft-harry-hiestand/

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »
I watched Love play quite a bit during his career.  He can be pretty impressive when he's healthy, but seems to be beaten up all the time.  You also have to consider the O line he ran behind, some pretty decent horses opening up holes for him.  They used him a lot when they could, and Im not sure how much tread he has left.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:48 PM »
Like Love. I'm thinking that another team who has a greater running back need will take a gamble before the Packers do.  I can see a team taking a chance on him in the 3rd and don't see the Packers taking him till later than that -- to many other needs. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »
I have found that Love is all over the place, from 4th to FA. Bars is going 4th to 6th round.
 What is their real draft position?
 Would you spend a 5th on Bars and a 6th/7th on Love in the same draft? Can we afford to have 2 "redshirt" players from our picks this year?

I have run many mocks where this scenario has come about.
Scharping in the 4th/5th for future G or Bars?
Someone like Higdon at RB or Love with a late rounder?

The results lately have been good on "redshirt" picks as far as I can tell but not all injuries are equal.

Well none of us have the medical information to know the degree of the injuries and the likelihood of complete recovery. All opinions are just wild ass guesses at this point, but my wild ass guess would be that no team is going to have a grade higher than a 6th or 7th on them. Love had ACL surgery in December and was probably a mid round pick if he was fully health, why would anyone one spend more than a very late round pick on him? If any? Same with Bars. What both of them have going for them and what may buy them some time with a team is that they are both very high character guys.

My guess is that some teams with multiple 7th round picks may set one aside to role the dice that each of them comes back a 100%. Life and job security is short lived in the NFL and GM's aren't big on throwing picks at players that can't help in the very near future. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
Well, let us remember two names:

Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack.

I wanted TT to draft one of these guys while everyone was saying, no the injury reports etc.

I did not think TT would do it since he was so conservative.  It turns out they both are good players who were drafted lower than they should have been.

Sometimes it pays to buck the CW.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:25:51 AM »
Good question. First off, it does not have to be Scharping or Bars. Two different animals. I strongly doubt that Scharping makes it to the 4th round. He is a RT.  Could be an eventual replacement for Bulaga and depending on how the chips fall, I would strongly consider him in the 3rd. May go in the 2nd. Bars in the 5th? Depends. Gut feeling is yes. At that point in the draft you are looking at potential anyway, not an immediate or even down the road starter. Mainly back-ups and special teams. If you happen to get lucky and a player develops into something more, it's a bonus. So yes to Bars. Gives the Pack their RG and RT moving forward.

If Love is there in the 6th and a back has not been drafted or added in free agency, I would take a swing and draft him. If he were to be healthy, with a running back by commitee approach......maybe it helps Jones stay healthy too.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Well, let us remember two names:

Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack.

I wanted TT to draft one of these guys while everyone was saying, no the injury reports etc.

I did not think TT would do it since he was so conservative.  It turns out they both are good players who were drafted lower than they should have been.

Sometimes it pays to buck the CW.

A complete apples and oranges comparison. Smith and Jack were both considered top ten picks in the lead up to the draft, Smith was a surefire top 5 until he was injured in the Bowl game. Love and Bars before their injuries were never in those types of conversations.

It is also baffling that someone would still suggest that TT should of drafted one of those two. In order to draft one of those 2 they would of needed to not draft Kenny Clark. I can only hope that you are not truly suggesting they should of taken Smith or Jack over Clark.

Here is a quick look at the top 3 ILB's from 2016.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MartBl01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJa05.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackMy00.htm

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
I like Love a whole bunch and here's why.  He's one of three backs in the Pac 12 to run for over 2,000 yds in one season (White, Allen).  He scored 21 TD's his junior season and has blazing speed.  He also was a track star at Stanford and runs fast.  He came back his senior got injured which lowered his draft status.  Whoever gets him is getting one hell of a back. Reminds me alot of Barry Sanders! If he is available when we pick in the 4th rd, Murphy should personally run up to the podium and deliver the pick!  I'd be tempted to reach to the 3rd rd, but that depends on what talent we get in FA.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
If i were to take one injured player it would be DT Jeffery Simmons. I originally wanted him at #12. Now, you might just get him at #30 (if you are lucky).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
Agree on Simmons perhaps he slides to our second rd. pick.  He seems like a philly guy.  Remember the Cowboys have been down this road before and they just lost two DL.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
Don't think its apples and and oranges at all.

Love has excellent potential as a speed back who can break the long run. Do we have someone like that? The guy rushed for over 2000 yards in 2018.  Bars was ranked in the top 15 of guards before the season. So even if they are a bit lower, you just adjust the pay off a bit and the draft round a bit.

As per RT's other point about it being either or Clark or nothing in 2016, don't agree with that either.

Everyone knew that neither Smith nor Jack would go in the first round because of the injuries.  If you wanted Clark so badly, fine, then you just trade up in the second round to get Jack or Smith. 

The guy we took in the second round, Spriggs, to be mild, has not panned out very well. I know we traded up to get Spriggs, but we could have added some value and gone up higher.

If we had, either guy I think would be an improvement for what we have at ILB today.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:07:37 PM by Gregg »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
Don't think its apples and and oranges at all.

Love has excellent potential as a speed back who can break the long run. Do we have someone like that? The guy rushed for over 2000 yards in 2018.  Bars was ranked in the top 15 of guards before the season. So even if they are a bit lower, you just adjust the pay off a bit and the draft round a bit.

As per RT's other point about it being either or Clark or nothing in 2016, don't agree with that either.

Everyone knew that neither Smith nor Jack would go in the first round because of the injuries.  If you wanted Clark so badly, fine, then you just trade up in the second round to get Jack or Smith. 

The guy we took in the second round, Spriggs, to be mild, has not panned out very well. I know we traded up to get Spriggs, but we could have added some value and gone up higher.

If we had, either guy I think would be an improvement for what we have at ILB today.

Love did not rush for over 2000 yards in 2018. He rushed for 739 yards on 166 carries for an average of 4.5 a carry and 6 TD's while playing in 10 games. Hardly earth shaking. As for Bars and his being ranked in the top 15 guards before the season, well there are some draft years were 15 total guards are not even drafted (2018 only 8 total guards were drafted in the whole of the draft). Now if we put Bars 'a bit lower', where does that put him?

Could someone have moved up to draft Smith or Jacks, sure, but why. You are talking like they turned into elite players, but they are not. The only elite player there is the one the Packers drafted and that is Clark. Blake Martinez was drafted in the 4th round of the same draft and if you objective look at the links I provided, you will see that Martinez has out performed both of them in just about every category since being drafted. Will you look at these player objectively? Or still locked on the players pre-draft hype 3 years later?