May 25, 2019, 11:54:29 AM

Author Topic: Post-Combine/Pre-Free Agency Mock  (Read 511 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Post-Combine/Pre-Free Agency Mock
« on: March 08, 2019, 01:25:07 PM »
Making some changes to my Free Agency Cuts/Signings:

Cut/Traded:
Tramon Williams - $4.75M
Nick Perry - $3.3M
Antonio Morrison - $2M
Kapri Bibbs - $800K
Trevor Davis - $720K
[Trade] Jason Spriggs - $1.13 (2020 6th rnd?) Alex Light's late season improvement makes this a possible move.
Total - $12.7M

Signed:
OLB - Aaron Lynch (CHI) ......... a cheaper signing than several of the other names being talked about. But he fits the traits that Pettine looks for at OLB.
OLB - Shaquil Barrett (DEN)
S - Eric Weddle (BALT)
CB - Bashaud Breeland (GB)

Draft:
1a (#12) TJ Hockenson/TE/Iowa
(Paired with "Super Back" Danny Vitale, the Hockeson/Vitale duo makes GB's run/pass offense look like SF's with Goerge Kittle/Kyle Juszczyk.)

1b (#30) Chris Lindstrom/G/Boston College
(Athletic Plug/Play OG that is the perfect fit for MLF's outside zone run offense)

2  (#44) Juan Thornhill/S/UVA
(A true centerfield FS that is also a "striker" and "ball hawk")

3  (#75) Chris Slayton/NT/Syracuse
(May have been the most dominant player at the East-West Shrine game and can play all DL positions on Pettines defense)

4a (#107) Shareef Miller/Edge/Penn St.
(Sleeper pick who tested well at the Combine and had solid numbers at Penn St.)

4b (#111) Darrell Henderson/RB/Memphis
(Almost a clone version of Aaron Jones. Would allow MLF to keep a fresh home-run threat on the field at all times)

5   (#139) Tytus Howard/OT/Alabama St
(Athletically gifted developmental prospect who was a HS QB and basketball star. Great footwork and quickness for a big man.)

6a (#171) Ryan Connelly/ILB/Wisconsin
(Typical gritty but high football IQ LB from UW. Provides some insurance in case Martinez gets testy when his contract is up after 2019)

6b (#180) Mecole Hardman/WR-KR/Georgia
(Under the radar......4.33........ slot WR who can light it up as WR/KR)

7   (#202) Olisaemeka Udoh/OT/Elon
(Another big developmental prospect that may be a candidate to transition to OG, or could be a G/T swing player)

Offline footballdad

• Starter
Re: Post-Combine/Pre-Free Agency Mock
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:37:07 AM »
DB - Really on board with your draft.

I've been touting Hockenson since early january as a first round pick. Assuming they actually do sign an edge guy (or 2) Hockenson is my guy at 12 as well. I really have a gut feeling he is going to go in the top 10 though - Detroit. If he and Gary, and White are all there, it will be a tough choice.

Could cutting Morrison - good call nostradamus/db - mean they plan on re-signing CM3 to play inside? Hope not. He showed absolutely zero effort in the season finale. Hard to get motivated sometimes, but if you take the paycheck, you give 100% regardless of the circumstances. Maybe taking a run at Mosley? I could really get on board with that.

Guessing Lindstrom @ 30 because he may not be there @ 44? Again, probably a good call. Do not know if I would take him there, but definately would @ 44. Depends who else is there at 30.

Like all your picks basically. Henderson and Thornhill the most. Might change a few guys, but if this is the way it played out, I'd be a happy guy.

Free agency - The way things are looking, would go after Tre Boston , one of the Smiths @ edge. Agree with your cut-list also.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:33:23 AM »
Danno -

This is a really nice draft, although I do find it hard to take a TE at #12. I especially love the picks of Lindstrom, Thornhill, Howard and Hardman. Really hits a lot of the needs for the packers with athletic, skilled, high-motor players with high floors. Not a ton of bust potential there.

Regarding the FA signings, I like the mid-level approach (although Weddell is off the market now), expecially the two OLBs - Aaron Lynch is a great, under-the-radar signing. I might consider Preston Smith or Zadarius Smith rather than Shaq Barrett, but any of them will work.

I guess the only thing missing is help for interior pass rush. I do not know much about Darius Slayton, but from what I've seen, he won't be enough.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:44:07 AM by morango »

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »
Some nice picks but Howard and Hardman will be long gone by the slots you have listed- 2nd/3rd round for each

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:02:38 AM »
Some nice picks but Howard and Hardman will be long gone by the slots you have listed- 2nd/3rd round for each

I saw one article (January 22nd/Bleacher Report) that thought he could be a Day 2 pick (2nd/3rd round). But everything else I've read has had him 4th/5th round and with the crazy Combine performances put up by so many people, Hardman's own strong performance may be diminished because of his diminutive size.

You may be right that Howard & Hardman may go earlier, but I'm hoping they slip a little.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:23:27 AM »
Danno -

This is a really nice draft, although I do find it hard to take a TE at #12. I especially love the picks of Lindstrom, Thornhill, Howard and Hardman. Really hits a lot of the needs for the packers with athletic, skilled, high-motor players with high floors. Not a ton of bust potential there.

Regarding the FA signings, I like the mid-level approach (although Weddell is off the market now), expecially the two OLBs - Aaron Lynch is a great, under-the-radar signing. I might consider Preston Smith or Zadarius Smith rather than Shaq Barrett, but any of them will work.

I guess the only thing missing is help for interior pass rush. I do not know much about Darius Slayton, but from what I've seen, he won't be enough.

If Hockeson is a player that will help transform your offense from MM's to what MLF wants to run, and you don't think he slides to #30 and there isn't a realistic trade partner at #12, then you take him even if he a bit of a reach. The potential to get an all-pro caliber player at #12 make it something you have to strongly consider.

Here's a couple of articles to support my thinking.

https://packerstalk.com/2019/01/22/packers-2019-tight-end-makeover-part-1/

LaFleur’s offense is heavily based on the run and successful use of play-action. This has two major implications regarding tight ends. First, due to their role in the run game the Packers will want tight ends who can block. Second, dual-threat tight ends are paramount so as not to tip defenses off to the intent of the play. The more an individual tight end can do the more valuable they are to this offense.

https://packerstalk.com/2019/01/29/packers-2019-tight-end-makeover-part-2/

I'm not sure if this same guy will publish a Part 3 article and address potential draft picks, but I submit that Hockenson is the most complete blocking/receiving TE in this draft and that would make him an important cog in helping MLF's new offense work the way they want it to.

I think the fact that they have been shining around Irv Smith and are bringing him in for an official business is due diligence on Gute's and MLF's part in case that Hockenson is already gone at #12.................in that case Smith may be the target at #30.

Here's one more piece that convinced me that Hockenson would be worthy of the #12.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/25/packers-fb-danny-vitale-could-thrive-in-matt-lafleurs-offense/

Combining Hockenson and Vitale the way the 49'ers do with Kittle/Juszczyk would bring an element to the GB offense that I'm not sure they have ever had. Add that to what Tae brings as the #1 WR, Graham, Allison, and the other 2nd yr WR's and GB's offense could become a juggernaut.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/pro-bowl-george-kittle-kyle-juszczyk-represent-49ers-orlando

Remember that Niner's QB Garappolo went down with ACL very early in the season, and these two made the pro bowl working with a backup QB. Think of what "could be" with Rodgers.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:37:46 AM by dannobanano »