March 22, 2019, 06:04:55 AM

Author Topic: Adrian Amos Agrees with Packers  (Read 1164 times)

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
Adrian Amos Agrees with Packers
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1105455472927297536

Don't know the terms but he is a long overdue improvement at the position.

Online RT

• HOF Member
Re: Adrian Amos Agrees with Packers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:33 AM »
Ditto as Smith, 3 INT's in 4 seasons. Another average player that I'm hoping doesn't have a stupid money contract. Good players to add to a roster, but not building block players who should be paid building block contracts.

Online mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:51:02 AM »
He's supposed to be a smart instinctive player.  He's like 25 26 so like he should be coming into his prime.

I don't know what you mean by not being a building block player, RT.   Don't you build a team by getting good solid players and then add a few elite players?  The Packers weren't going to get an elite player in free agency.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
He's supposed to be a smart instinctive player.  He's like 25 26 so like he should be coming into his prime.

I don't know what you mean by not being a building block player, RT.   Don't you build a team by getting good solid players and then add a few elite players?  The Packers weren't going to get an elite player in free agency.

A building block player is an elite player, ( Rodgers, Matthews in his prime, Clark in his next contract, etc...). Where teams go down the wrong path and get themselves in trouble is paying good players as elite players. Because a team pays them like one doesn't make them one. Nick Perry? Do that too many times and it cripples a team for the future. 

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:10:56 AM »
Ditto as Smith, 3 INT's in 4 seasons. Another average player that I'm hoping doesn't have a stupid money contract.

He's much better than average; analytics love him. He checks all boxes (size, athletic ability, intelligence and a team player)... His 3 INT's came in the last two seasons and he also had nice INT in the playoffs against Philly.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
Green Bay got two guys that are young, 26, and can play their positions for a long time. Not expecting them to be superstars, but solid players that fill an existing hole.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:15:33 AM »
Yep, like that both of them are hitting their prime... I didn't want the Packers paying heavy for guys past performance (Thomas/Houston). Much better chance of success with 2nd contracts rather than 3rd contracts.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:17:52 AM »
Don't get me wrong here, the Packers are a better team this morning with these two additions. Both are in their prime years with some up side, but I'm just cautioning people that they are top shelf type of players. Good just not elite and fans have a way of dreaming up something they are not.

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
The #Packers still need someone with great ball skills at safety. Amos is not a big-play guy. He's a versatile player who complimented the Bears' best safety, Eddie Jackson. He is being signed to start and could play with Tramon Williams if Gutekunst can't get another safety.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »
If Amos is north of $10m pa (he probably is) and Za'Darius is $16m pa, these are THE big moves for 2019. Two key weaknesses addressed before the draft.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Yep, like that both of them are hitting their prime... I didn't want the Packers paying heavy for guys past performance (Thomas/Houston). Much better chance of success with 2nd contracts rather than 3rd contracts.

Success on 2nd contracts over a 3rd is a factual thing. Good point there Donzo.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
If Amos is north of $10m pa (he probably is) and Za'Darius is $16m pa, these are THE big moves for 2019. Two key weaknesses addressed before the draft.

Lets hope that Gute did not panic to that degree.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »
The #Packers still need someone with great ball skills at safety. Amos is not a big-play guy. He's a versatile player who complimented the Bears' best safety, Eddie Jackson. He is being signed to start and could play with Tramon Williams if Gutekunst can't get another safety.

i'm guessing the FS gets addressed in the draft with one of Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Juan Thornhill, Darnell Savage, or just possibly they convert Amani Oruwariye to free safety (CB. 6/2", 205, 4.47, 17 reps on the bar, 6.82 3cone).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »
As with draft choices, you gotta let these signings play out.  The test will be in the Fall on how theses guys fit and play.  Gute needed to make some moves and he did.  Its not about how these players did with their previous teams, its about dollar value based on their performances (good or bad) in Green Bay going forward.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:15:58 AM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
I'm liking the Amos signing so far. We stole a starter from a division rival, and he's definitely an upgrade over what we have currently.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Ditto as Smith, 3 INT's in 4 seasons. Another average player that I'm hoping doesn't have a stupid money contract. Good players to add to a roster, but not building block players who should be paid building block contracts.

Unfortunately, that's the price you pay for in free agency. Amos is great in pass coverage, which should your first priority these days. He's the one who allowed Eddie Jackson the opportunities to lurk rather than play the traditional Safety role.

4 years at 37 million for a top 5 Safety? Yes please. He seldom gets beat in coverage and I read somewhere he didn't allow a single TD last year on like 41 attempts, which is impressive. It was either Earl Thomas or Amos, and the pricetag for Thomas would have been steep and I'm not certain the disparity between him and Amos is that big. Consider the money Collins and Mathieu got and their level of play/availability, this is a great deal.

While he isn't a playmaker, it doesn't mean he couldn't be. How hard is it to be in the right spot and catch the ball. Really, that's all that set he and Eddie Jackson apart, and now that Amos is gone Jackson might be miscast as a traditional FS.

We wanted GB to be active in free agency. Now they are, and the nitpicking begins.