March 22, 2019, 05:21:53 AM

Author Topic: Za'Darius Smith Agrees with Packers  (Read 1509 times)

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
Za'Darius Smith Agrees with Packers
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:27:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1105451747567382533

Don't know much about him but he is a pass rusher.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Za'Darius Smith Agrees with Packers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:37:00 AM »
Before I rejoice about this, I'm interested in seeing the numbers. In Baltimore he was never a full time starter and had 18 sacks in 4 seasons, smells of an average player. Hoping it is a somewhat reasonable contract.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »
Played 67% of Baltimore's snaps last season, was even more limited in the past, I don't know what to make of it either, I think he certainly is an upgrade over what Clay has given us lately.

Wonder if pass rusher is still a priority in the draft, it should be.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:30 AM »
I like the signing a lot.

He had 8.5 sacks last year 25 QB hits. He's 26 so has a lot of football ahead of him. At 275 he can play the run, rush from inside.  Doesn't cost a draft pick. Gives them flexibility in the draft.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:50:31 AM »
I like the signing a lot.

He had 8.5 sacks last year 25 QB hits. He's 26 so has a lot of football ahead of him. At 275 he can play the run, rush from inside.  Doesn't cost a draft pick. Gives them flexibility in the draft.

Flexibility in the draft is a key point. He should be an ascending player, hopefully his best football is still ahead of him. Again, the money is key here.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
In Baltimore he was never a full time starter and had 18 sacks in 4 seasons, smells of an average player.

He's an ascending player hitting his prime, he's a very good player.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »
He's the OLB that Green Bay wanted from Perry over the years. Seems to fit Pettine's concepts of edge run stopper and can rush the passer. He's young and very hard to block.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
I'm hearing $16m pa. Early FA money can be intimidating to GMs. Looks like Gute has the steely.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:27:00 AM »
Just got a couple  twitters hits saying the Packers are getting Preston Smith, too... WOW!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:29:45 AM »
Just got a couple  twitters hits saying the Packers are getting Preston Smith, too... WOW!

If that is true, it is probably safe to say Perry is officially gone?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »
That takes Edge off the draft menu until 4th/5th Round, at least.

Early Packer draft will be mostly offense. IMO.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:33:13 AM »

If that is true, it is probably safe to say Perry is officially gone?

Absolutely... Probably Williams, too.

Looks official.

All three 26 on 2nd contracts- amazing!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:34:30 AM by Donzo »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a prime edge guy at #12. The value is there for several players like Burns, Sweat, Ferrell (and they will be on a rookie contract). what this does do is reduce the NEED to go edge at #12. It puts DL like Wilkins, Oliver, maybe Gary in the frame with edge guys. Heck, they could go CB (again) and move Josh Jackson to play a FS role. They could go Hockenson, or Fant, or Devin White (or Bush). Maybe they can afford to pick up Jeffery Simmons at #30 now and wait a year for him to play. So many possibilities. Heck, they could even trade their pick at #12 to a bad team for a first next year and a second this year.

My guess after all that FA craziness, is that they look at trading down several spots to accelerate the roster makeover. That is much easier to do when you don't HAVE to get an edge at #12.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a prime edge guy at #12. The value is there for several players like Burns, Sweat, Ferrell (and they will be on a rookie contract). what this does do is reduce the NEED to go edge at #12. It puts DL like Wilkins, Oliver, maybe Gary in the frame with edge guys. Heck, they could go CB (again) and move Josh Jackson to play a FS role. They could go Hockenson, or Fant, or Devin White (or Bush). Maybe they can afford to pick up Jeffery Simmons at #30 now and wait a year for him to play. So many possibilities. Heck, they could even trade their pick at #12 to a bad team for a first next year and a second this year.

My guess after all that FA craziness, is that they look at trading down several spots to accelerate the roster makeover. That is much easier to do when you don't HAVE to get an edge at #12.

I won't disagree with you OTSF. The opportunity door is wide open, whether player acquisition or trade down. The whole deck is on the table.

One of Za'Darius Smith's strengths is moving inside as an interior pass rusher on 3rd down. He led the league in 3rd down sacks/pressures with 17 this last season.

If he's pass rushing from the interior on obvious passing downs, they still need a reliable Edge/OLB to take his spot. So an Edge player somewhere in the top 3 rounds can't be taken off the table (good call). Plus, all four FA contract's from this year will expire the same year this year's rookie's contracts will be expiring (except for first rounders who could get a 5th year option). So drafting the replacements for this years crop of FA may be partially happening in this years draft class.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:54 PM »

Respectfully, I 100% disagree.  These signing mean that GB can go BPA.  FA is for need - the draft is for depth and development.  I do not know of a defensive coach that would not want depth at Edge.  Sweat and Burns are both still possibilities at #12 and I can definitely see them drafting Edge elsewhere before the 4th/5th - especially if they do not at #12.  If either Smith gets injured, they are not far off from where they previously were.  Also need to consider next year when drafting this year.  Edge is still in the mix.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi