May 26, 2019, 06:00:13 AM

Author Topic: Packers also signing Preston Smith!!!  (Read 1138 times)

Offline gbnd4life

• Starter
Packers also signing Preston Smith!!!
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »
It’s looking like a great day in Green Bay!! Za’darius Smith, Adrian Amos and now Preston Smith!! I’m loving it!!

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: Packers also signing Preston Smith!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
Yep.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/11/packers-free-agency-tracker-all-latest-updates-green-bay/3096551002/

Don't like spending big in free agency, but damn, gotta be excited about the additions.

Huge day for the Packers.

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
Woo Hoo!

I guess Gute was in on the conversation.  Now get us a guard and call it Christmas!

This gives him so much flexibility in the draft.  Trade back, get more picks and find Aaron some toys to play with.

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:54:01 AM »
The thing these signings allow is a more BPA strategy during the draft.  You are no longer locked into NEEDING to draft a pass rusher with 12 or even 30 if there are better options, which really is how teams should draft....just get the most talent you can.  FA is for building depth and the occasional splash...draft is where you really need to find your cornerstone players.

If the Packers are sitting at 12, they no longer need to hope for Sweat/Burns/Ferrell/etc...if they have Devin White or Ed Oliver or Hockenson/Fant or even an OT/OG rated higher, they can make the pick much more easily now...or, if a large group like that are all rated evenly and are still on the board, they can easily trade down and gain more draft capital while still getting a player they really like who also still plugs a hole.

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
John Pluym
ESPN
LB Preston Smith, who intends to sign with the Packers when free agency officially opens at 4 p.m. ET Wednesday, should be significant upgrade rushing the passer. Smith has 103 QB pressures in the past two seasons, according to NFL Next Gen Stats, ninth in the NFL and ahead of players such as Cameron Jordan (99), Calais Campbell (93) and Jadeveon Clowney (88).

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:03:05 AM »
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
What was a pass-rush tandem of Clay Matthews and Nick Perry now becomes Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith. Matthews, age 32, and Perry, 28 combined for 19.5 sacks the last two seasons, while the Smiths both are 26 years old and combined for 25 sacks the previous two seasons. The Packers got younger and perhaps more productive off the edge.

21m

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »
Preston Smith hasnt missed a game in 4 years.  Meanwhile,  a moving company has been hired to move Nick Perry's furniture out of the Packers medical office.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
Reported contract numbers.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Packers are signing LB Preston Smith to a 4-year deal worth a base value of $52M, source said. He gets $16M to sign. He gets $27.5M over the first two years.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:56:31 AM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »
If we draft a pass rushing DL or LB early, this Defense could get fearsome quickly!

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
If we draft a pass rushing DL or LB early, this Defense could get fearsome quickly!
I think Ed Oliver is a must if he is there.  Perfect for this D too.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
Woo Hoo!
I guess Gute was in on the conversation.  Now get us a guard and call it Christmas!

This gives him so much flexibility in the draft.  Trade back, get more picks and find Aaron some toys to play with.

Signed Billy Turner from the Broncos to play guard. It's Christmas!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:04 PM »
I doubt they can get Oliver, unless they move up. 

But what does this mean for CM3 and Perry.  Can we afford to cut Perry? It is a lot of dead money is it not.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:27:07 AM »
I doubt they can get Oliver, unless they move up. 

But what does this mean for CM3 and Perry.  Can we afford to cut Perry? It is a lot of dead money is it not.

Perry has officially been cut. $11.1 million dead money. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/packers-release-nick-perry-without-post-june-1-designation/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
I believe by cutting Perry now, all of his dead money goes onto this season, and no hit for 2020.

That matches well with balancing the FA cap hits.  Signing bonuses are pro-rated, so usually the first year has a small cap hit, which then jumps big-time in year 2. 

So while the FA's are cheap this year, now was the time to pay off the Perry dead money, before the FA cap-hits spike next year. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »
While cutting Perry now cost a lot of dead money to this years cap, it also created an additional $3.33M in new cap space to use.

Craig is right that since they can fit that hit into this years cap, it makes sense rather than have it eat up space next years when there will likely be some guaranteed roster bonuses and such that will be paid to the new FA's.