March 22, 2019, 04:59:12 AM

Author Topic: Contract Values  (Read 629 times)

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
Contract Values
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »
Rumors of values and their impacts:

Za'darius Smith 16M/yr (rumor only, not substantiated)
Preston Smith: 4yr, 52M (13M/yr)
Amos: 4yr, 37M (avg 9.25M/yr)

I though we had 34M in cap room?  Doesnt this mean Clay is gone, Cobb is gone, and either Perry or Graham need to be cut?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:14:50 AM by NOLAPackerfan »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Contract Values
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »
If they paid Zadarius Smith 16M per, someone needs to clean out their office today.

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »
One early report from Jason La Canfora suggests that the contract could be worth over $16 million per year. However, there is no corroboration of that number so far.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/3/12/18261539/packers-free-agency-2019-olb-zadarius-smith-will-sign-in-green-bay-per-report

I guess its still just all a guessing game

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:12 AM »
Sure enough, Nick Perry released

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »
If they paid Zadarius Smith 16M per, someone needs to clean out their office today.

Need to see the structure of the contract... I do like the numbers on the other signings.

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »
4yr/ 28M with 11M yr 1 hit for Turner.

I dont see how they can add much more salary outside the draft or letting Graham walk.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »
Their appears to be no one at the wheel of the bus screaming down the mountain side.

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow
Follow @AdamSchefter

More
Packers are giving former Broncos' OL Billy Turner a four-year, $28 million deal with a max value of $29.5, including $11 million in year one, per source.

This for a player that was a washout in Miami and fill in, depth player the last two seasons in Denver.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
He's another ascending player hitting his prime... He was good as a starter last year and fits the Packer new OL system.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
I would assume Tramon gets released, he would free up a good amount of room, they still very well could release Bulaga too with the addition of Turner.

Certainly are options, but I like that with the clock ticking on Rodgers we are spending to try and put together a competitive team to potentially salvage his remaining years.

Za'Darius contract numbers to me if anything look like the biggest overpay, assuming the numbers posted are true, but I can't complain about adding 2 much needed edge rushers to the defense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:39:15 AM by GBRoCk2 »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
Am I correct that releasing Mike Daniels could free up an additional $8.3 in cap space?    Might be another possibility.  Could look to add guys like Wilkins, Oliver, Tillery making him expendable.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »
Am I correct that releasing Mike Daniels could free up an additional $8.3 in cap space?    Might be another possibility.  Could look to add guys like Wilkins, Oliver, Tillery making him expendable.
Good question, could look at that same question depending on who they draft?

Draft Oliver - Daniels contract?
Draft Hockenson - Grahams contract?
Draft Jonah Williams- Bulaga's contract?

Not sure of the timing or $ impact on the cap for any of these.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
Bulaga's and Daniels contracts are not affected by a pre-June 1st or post-June 1st release.

Graham is a pre-June 1st cap savings of $5.33M and a post-June 1st cap savings of $9M

With Perry a likely post-June 1st designation, it makes me wonder if either/both Daniels/Bulaga might get released to clear enough space for these new FA contracts.

I've speculated on this board about both of them being possible release candidates for several weeks now.

Will have to wait and see what happens with them.

I do like these signings, even if we have had to overpay (our opinion), from what we may have been hoping/expecting. The defense has gotten younger and better, no question. IMO................Pettine and his defensive staff had a lot of input into those choices.

The draft is now wide open for BPA scenario, but I do get the feeling that it will have an offense centric tilt to it. TE, OL, Slot WR, RB, and they will look to add another DL and Safety.   twocents)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
Bulaga's and Daniels contracts are not affected by a pre-June 1st or post-June 1st release.

Graham is a pre-June 1st cap savings of $5.33M and a post-June 1st cap savings of $9M

With Perry a likely post-June 1st designation, it makes me wonder if either/both Daniels/Bulaga might get released to clear enough space for these new FA contracts.

I've speculated on this board about both of them being possible release candidates for several weeks now.

Will have to wait and see what happens with them.

I do like these signings, even if we have had to overpay (our opinion), from what we may have been hoping/expecting. The defense has gotten younger and better, no question. IMO................Pettine and his defensive staff had a lot of input into those choices.

The draft is now wide open for BPA scenario, but I do get the feeling that it will have an offense centric tilt to it. TE, OL, Slot WR, RB, and they will look to add another DL and Safety.   twocents)

Thats good work Danno.

It wont be Green Bay, but Im surprised Earl Thomas is still out there.  Hes probably asking for the moon, but some team will get a great football player. It will be interesting to see where he goes and what he gets.
I

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
It certainly seems as if the Packers are going all out on becoming SB favorites this year. After all, if now now, when? Rodgers is 36 and has shown some slippage in ability the last few years. So, strike while the iron is hot, I suppose. The only problem being, if you don't make it, you've put yourself in a precarious position cap wise. All things considered, the team is doing what the fans have been demanding for years: be more active in FA, sign somebody, go for it! On paper, this looks good. Unfortunately, the games aren't played on paper. But all that typed, good for them. Time to shake things up, and do away with the "country club/status quo" of recent years.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »

Largely depends on how the contract is structured. Here is an article from CheeseheadTV that goes into how to avoid contracts that come back to bite you. Its a bit technical, but worth parsing the details.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/avoiding-the-albatross-615

Once Collins and Mathieu got big money as safeties, it became apparent that this was going to be an expensive FA class. So, pay big or stay home. Does this mean the players are worth it? Well, since some team decided to pay them that amount of money, yes, that is what they are worth, at least to that team.We can argue whether this was a good move or not, but the fact is, the team decided to add that player for that amount of money, and we'll just have to trust they know what they're doing. Perry apparently is gone, Cobb has one foot out the door and is standing on a banana peel, and Matthews will also probably be gone. We'll definitely need to invest in a program to recognize the new numbers on the field, at least at first. Here is an excerpt from the article I linked below; it was posted prior to the FA signings:

So what does this mean for the Packers? First of all, it means that general manager Brian Gutekunst better be ready to spend money if and when he dips his toes into the free agent pool. Earl Thomas, my top overall free agent, is looking for a two-year deal around $30 million. That’s completely doable for a Packers team that currently has over $35 million in salary cap space. That number could rise if Green Bay opts to cut the fat and releases Nick Perry.

There has been a lot of anxiety from Packers fans thinking that free agency will continue just as it had for the most part with Ted Thompson. I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think Gutekunst will do something in free agency. The only question is, what guys does he want to bring back? The two most important ones are Muhammed Wilkerson and Bashaud Breeland. Marcedes Lewis would make a lot of sense because he’s a tight end that can block, as opposed to Jimmy Graham.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-it-begins-with-earl-thomas-158
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:47:37 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid