May 25, 2019, 11:55:12 AM

Author Topic: Free Agency Mock  (Read 1221 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Free Agency Mock
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »
Four solid young signings in FA yesterday.

Still one addition I hope for is resigning Bashaud Breeland.

New mock based on yesterday's fireworks.

1a (#12) TJ Hockenson/TE/Iowa

1b (#30) Devin Bush/ILB/Michigan

2  (#44) Juan Thornhill/S/UVA

3  (#75) Miles Sanders/RB/Penn St.

4a (#107) Tytus Howard/OT/Alabama St

4b (#111) Mecole Hardman/WR-KR/Georgia

5   (#139) John Cominsky/DE-Edge/Charleston

6a (#171) Bryce Hall/CB/UVA

6b (#180) Malik Carney/Edge/UNC

7   (#202) Olisaemeka Udoh/OT/Elon

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Free Agency Mock
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »
I wouldn't bitch tat's for sure. I think the TE will come in the 2nd round. Bush may be taken at 12 he's seemed to have gotten very popular.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »
What about Bush at #12, and Fant at #30?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:59:45 AM »
A friend told me that Simmons (if he's still there) at 30 might be the pick. That's why I said TE in the 2nd round.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:02 AM »
Cant see TE @12.  OT or Defensive front 7 makes more sense.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:03:53 AM by The GM »

Offline gary

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:04:41 AM »
I think all the moves so far sets up ideal TE at number 12 if Hock is available but if taken then Fant at 30.  After this year they will have NO tight ends under contract.  The way the NFL is today you have to have explosive offenses and can get by with middle of road defenses.  All the rules benefit the offense and we are working with an offense with couple of "chambers" empty.  I could see the first 2 or 3 picks on offense, which I would not happy as we still need pass rusher/DL help.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021874/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-30

[Rank #5] Hockenson is a fun player to watch. In the passing game, he fights through press coverage and will stair-step defenders (fights through pass coverage and understands how to attack the leverage of defenders) down the field, helping to create some separation on crossers and deep-over routes. He tracks the ball naturally, and his high-point skills are on display in the red zone. He is very physical after the catch and possesses adequate speed. Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He rag-dolls defensive ends and linebackers. He had multiple pancake blocks in every game I studied. Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated, and he is dependable in the passing game. He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Whoever they draft at #12, the Packers need to find an immediate starter who will be a difference maker with lots of upside. Think Jaire Alexander, on offense or defense. I understand the feeling that since the Packers added three defensive guys in FA, going offense with the earlier pick would be wise. But would Fant, for example, be a major downgrade at #30? Could be, if this guy is to be believed:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/t-j-hockenson-the-better-iowa-te-prospect

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021874/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-30

[Rank #5] Hockenson is a fun player to watch. In the passing game, he fights through press coverage and will stair-step defenders (fights through pass coverage and understands how to attack the leverage of defenders) down the field, helping to create some separation on crossers and deep-over routes. He tracks the ball naturally, and his high-point skills are on display in the red zone. He is very physical after the catch and possesses adequate speed. Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He rag-dolls defensive ends and linebackers. He had multiple pancake blocks in every game I studied. Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated, and he is dependable in the passing game. He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level.

Great Discussion!!
Hockenson is a good player, no doubt.  You got Daniels and Clark coming up for FA next year, and Bulaga is week to week each year.  These are core positions.  When you get the 12th pick with the potential holes on this team, as good as Hockenson is you dont spend it on a TE with the options they will likely have at 12.  A TE in a trade down or at #30 or #44, Yes.  #12, No. it will be a core position.  JMO
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:01:00 PM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
I'm just going with my gut as well.

When looking at the scored rankings of all prospects for this years draft at NFL.com, Hockenson comes in with the 6th highest score in the entire draft. Even higher than Montez Sweat and Ed Oliver.

If Gute is in a position to truly draft BPA in this draft, why-oh-why would he draft a lower scored player just because they play in the trenches?

That smells of drafting for need over BPA. JMHO

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 02:48:16 PM »
This happens every year with every fan base. The fixation with a teams first pick is strong, but the truth is their are very good players to be had at the end of the 1st round, the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Often turning out better than the players pick at the top of round one. Most are well aware of that, but still obsess about who the golden child is going to be. If a TE is the top rated player on the Packers board at 12 they will draft a TE. If not at 12 I'd guess they will take a TE who tops their board in rounds 2, 3 or 4. The key is to let the board do its job and the Packers will do that. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm just going with my gut as well.

When looking at the scored rankings of all prospects for this years draft at NFL.com, Hockenson comes in with the 6th highest score in the entire draft. Even higher than Montez Sweat and Ed Oliver.

If Gute is in a position to truly draft BPA in this draft, why-oh-why would he draft a lower scored player just because they play in the trenches?

That smells of drafting for need over BPA. JMHO

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

I like Hockenson too, but Id be curious to know how many TEs have been drafted in the top 15.  I know its happened, but its pretty rare (Kyle Brady?, Ebron?)  Stranger things have happened but Id be very surprised if Gute went TE at #12.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 03:59:15 PM »
Ron Wolf drafted Bubba Franks 14th overall in 2000, not one of his better draft moments. A TE that ran a 4.9/ 40, he might not even get drafted in todays NFL.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »
I like Hockenson too, but Id be curious to know how many TEs have been drafted in the top 15.  I know its happened, but its pretty rare (Kyle Brady?, Ebron?)  Stranger things have happened but Id be very surprised if Gute went TE at #12.

Hopefully this article will help answer your question. Remember, Shannon Sharpe was drafted in the 7th round by Cenver. Worked out pretty well. Does this mean a pass on Hockenson or Fant? Rob Gronkowski was drafted by NE in the 2nd.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82860152/article/best-firstround-tight-ends-of-the-last-decade
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:16:10 PM by ricky »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 05:02:12 PM »
A friend told me that Simmons (if he's still there) at 30 might be the pick. That's why I said TE in the 2nd round.

That's my favourite pick at #30. It assumes he is there of course and even then there might be another really good player who drops far enough to either get at #30 or move up for, one that trumps Simmons due to availability this year.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"