June 16, 2019, 12:37:04 PM

Author Topic: 2019 draft tidbits  (Read 3517 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
2019 draft tidbits
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »
Starting this thread for odds and ends. Last year we had a couple of pages of postings of things of interest. Just a spot for people to drop information.

First tidbit, The Packers were on hand at the Arkansas pro day to watch offensive tackle Brian Wallace, who was not invited to the combine despite an impressive showing at Shrine Game practices.

He measured in at 6052/320lbs, timed in the high 5.1’s to low 5.2’s in the forty as well as 4.65s in the short shuttle.  He completed 22 reps on the bench press and touched 24.5 inches in the vertical jump.

He does fit in as a historical fit of a Packers type OL.

Most people project him as a 6th-7th round type player.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:21:06 AM by RT »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: 2019 draft tidbits
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
That's OK...Green Bay has 2-6 round picks.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
Wisconsin-Whitewater's Nate Trewyn worked out at the Wisconsin pro day.

Measured in at 603.5 and 313 pounds, Trewyn did 26 reps on the bench press and timed 4.5 in the short shuttle and 7.55 in the three-cone. He is a historical fit for a Packers type of OL.

It is doubtful that he is drafted, but has a strong chance to be signed as a UDFA and get a chance in somebody's training camp. Could the Packers have 2 Whitewater players on the roster at one time?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »

Tom Pelissero

Verified account

@TomPelissero
Follow
Follow @TomPelissero

More
#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert and #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst hand-timing 40s here at Michigan pro day. #Lions GM Bob Quinn here as well. Pittsburgh has a big contingent here that includes Mike Tomlin and Teryl Austin.

Their are a number of Michigan players that are Packer types. Now who could be the apple of Gutes eye? 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
Gute is still a scout at heart, like his predecessor:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/15/packers-gm-in-attendance-at-michigan-pro-day/

Honestly, I don’t see anybody who Pelissero cites that really excites me for a premium draft pick. Perhaps I'm partially be blinded by my general dislike for both the Big 10 Michigan schools.

My bias aside, the Packer players that have been drafted out of those two programs never really seem to develop into anything.

RT, who do you see as “Packer types?”

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »

Tom Pelissero

Verified account

@TomPelissero
Follow
Follow @TomPelissero

More
#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert and #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst hand-timing 40s here at Michigan pro day. #Lions GM Bob Quinn here as well. Pittsburgh has a big contingent here that includes Mike Tomlin and Teryl Austin.

Their are a number of Michigan players that are Packer types. Now who could be the apple of Gutes eye?

If Gary falls to #12.........boom!

If Bush is there at #30............boom

If Winovich is there at #75...........boom

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
Not really sure where to post these questions but it's my understanding that a consideration for comp picks are net free agents signed vs net free agents lost.  At this point we've signed our 4 FA's but we've lost 5 -- Brice, Breeland, Matthews, Cobb, Ryan.   

1st - do each of these 5 FA's lost count in the equation - specifically Brice since he wasn't tendered? 
2nd - am i correct that the actual contract values of signed/lost contract values don't matter from the standpoint that if you sign 2 really high priced free agents but lose 8 you are still in line for comp pick(s)?  I know contract values of free agents lost is a big determinant for the round of comp pick
2nd - who else could we lose that could be net losses?  Wilkerson, Kendricks, Bell, Pankey?
3rd - not dreaming big here - just wondering if theoretically the Pack could actually be in line for a late round comp in 2020 if lose some of the above and don't sign anyone else despite 4 high priced free agent signings?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »
Not really sure where to post these questions but it's my understanding that a consideration for comp picks are net free agents signed vs net free agents lost.  At this point we've signed our 4 FA's but we've lost 5 -- Brice, Breeland, Matthews, Cobb, Ryan.   

1st - do each of these 5 FA's lost count in the equation - specifically Brice since he wasn't tendered? 
2nd - am i correct that the actual contract values of signed/lost contract values don't matter from the standpoint that if you sign 2 really high priced free agents but lose 8 you are still in line for comp pick(s)?  I know contract values of free agents lost is a big determinant for the round of comp pick
2nd - who else could we lose that could be net losses?  Wilkerson, Kendricks, Bell, Pankey?
3rd - not dreaming big here - just wondering if theoretically the Pack could actually be in line for a late round comp in 2020 if lose some of the above and don't sign anyone else despite 4 high priced free agent signings?

1.) The number of comp picks is limited to 32 each year. The cut off deal to receiving a comp was at 2M per year for 2019, all lesser deals would not qualify to receive a pick. Brice and Ryan minimum deals will not factor into helping the Packers in the end formula. 2016 the last qualifying deal was 3M per year.
2.) Highest contract cancels highest contract, etc., etc.
3.) Wilkerson is the only longshot at best that could possibly garner a qualifying contract and that is a reach in itself, but that would only make 4 to match the 4 they signed. Pankey is not a FA. Bell, Campbell, Kendricks, House, Pleasant will be lucky if anybody would offer a veteran minimum deal. Guessing that all but Campbell will be doing something other than playing football next fall. Those ships have sailed.
4.) The chances are not at zero, but...no wait, the chances are zero. Their will be no comp pick for GB in 2020. 

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
I don't want to see anyone from the Michigan team on this roster.  The Ryan selection has left a bitter taste in my mouth!!!!!

Offline pasmith13

• Starter
  • Super Bowl or Bust
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »
I would struggle with Bush at 12,  and he will never make it to 30.  That's one of the reasons I would strongly consider trading back.  Green Bay hasn't had a sideline to sideline LB like him for years.

I am not sure why a 4th round pick like Ryan would leave a bad taste in your mouth.  His limitations were well known when he was drafted.

Oliver at 12 would be like a Christmas present. 
Super Bowl Or Bust . . . no one plays to finish second

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
I would struggle with Bush at 12,  and he will never make it to 30.  That's one of the reasons I would strongly consider trading back.  Green Bay hasn't had a sideline to sideline LB like him for years.

I am not sure why a 4th round pick like Ryan would leave a bad taste in your mouth.  His limitations were well known when he was drafted.

Oliver at 12 would be like a Christmas present.

I think it is very doubtful that Bush would be the Packers selection at 12. White and Bush are very good football players, but neither are a match with what the Packers have done in their history since Ron Wolf took over. In reviewing all the ILB/MLB the Packers have drafted since 1992 and the only one that was as small as Bush was DJ Smith who was drafted in the 6th round in 2011. When Pettine arrived he said he likes to try and build a bully on defense, that is with big and physical front 7 players. Bush at 5'11"/ 234 really doesn't fit the mold. Could the Packers draft Bush or another an ILB in the first couple of rounds? Possible, but very doubtful.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »
RT - White is a bully. Understand where you are coming from though. It would seem to me that an ideal fit for Pettine's defense would be Tre Lamar from Clemson. Really hope he ends up a Packer.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
Several posters have Nasir Adderly as a possible addition to the Packers secondary at safety. The following article though seems to toss up some red flags- ankle injury and a pulled hamstring at his Pro Day. Is this something to worry about, keep tabs on, or put down as "one of those things"? I'm neutral on him, but thought this might be something to consider seriously.

From PFT: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/pulled-hamstring-ends-nasir-adderleys-pro-day-early/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
Several posters have Nasir Adderly as a possible addition to the Packers secondary at safety. The following article though seems to toss up some red flags- ankle injury and a pulled hamstring at his Pro Day. Is this something to worry about, keep tabs on, or put down as "one of those things"? I'm neutral on him, but thought this might be something to consider seriously.

From PFT: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/pulled-hamstring-ends-nasir-adderleys-pro-day-early/

If his name was Smith or Jones Packers fans probably would not even think of him as a 3rd round pick. Because of his name the hype is way overboard. My guess is that the Packers will not even consider drafting him because of added pressure of his family name.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:19 PM »
RT - White is a bully. Understand where you are coming from though. It would seem to me that an ideal fit for Pettine's defense would be Tre Lamar from Clemson. Really hope he ends up a Packer.

White is a fine player.

The obsession is strong with some on this board to draft a ILB high in the draft. (Not pointing at you, footballdad) If they do I will pull for them to be a big part in the success of the team, but the history of the Wolf/Thompson front office tree and Pettine's time as a DC and HC suggest that the Packers are not going to invest a high pick in that position. Pettine's defense is all about DLineman and cover corners and that is where the high draft capital has always went in support of him.

I guess with many fan(atic)s being rational in thought when it comes to their teams decisions is not in their DNA. If team history and behavioral patterns are studied, we as fans can get a good idea on the moves that may well be made. A clear and open mind is a good starting point in achieving that understanding.