May 26, 2019, 06:17:57 AM

Author Topic: What about yesterday?  (Read 492 times)

Online packlaw

• Starter
What about yesterday?
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
How did you feel about the signings?  I was elated as the front office addressed needs at edge, right guard and safety.  They saw the needs and did something about it.  Wow, we haven't seen that in years.  Will they contribute, no on knows; but at least there is a plan.  Do I care if Murphy is involved. No...so long as the moves help the team.  It is not my money paying these guys: but the money is paying for my entertainment. So I leave it to experts to decide compensation.  I do know these moves alter our draft as we are not forced to take guys out of need as opposed to value. I do know I have a better feeling about our chances to compete next year for a playoff spot.  It makes the draft more enjoyable and the off season less burdensome. Bring on the draft.... 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: What about yesterday?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
Glad they addressed some of the areas.  For me, its all about performance in the fall.  Do these guys sign big contracts and disappear on the field?   Their worth will be revealed with their play. JMO.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
Four important signings. No third contract stuff, so the price is steep, but you avoid fast-declining players.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
I'm happy with what they did. All 4 players are entering the prime of the careers so that's exciting.

For comparisons, they could have traded for Dee Ford with a 2nd round pick and signed him to a similar deal Z Smith received. I don't think the gap between the two players is that large, but Ford is a more dynamic player.

With Adrian Amos they got the best deal in free agency throughout the league. Top 5 player at his position for 50% less than top 5 money. Definitely, couldn't have done better than that.

Preston Smith signing was another good deal. Only on the hook for 2 years and his production should match the contract value.

Billy Turner was okay. Not super excited about it because I had other players in mind, but what do I know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:47:48 PM by claymaker »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Sometime last year during the season I watched a game that had Z Smith in it. I didn't know him from anyone else before the game, but during the game he was all over the place. I saw his weight and thought he is exactly what Green Bay needed in that OLB position. He was running down RBs and getting into the passer's face. The other team didn't run his way too much, but he made quite a few stops.   
I was very pleased to see him reach FA status and of course for Green Bay to get him.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »
Four important signings. No third contract stuff, so the price is steep, but you avoid fast-declining players.

That was a key, IMO. No real "names", ala Brown, Beckham or Thomas. But younger guys who could well just be coming into their prime years. It is now up to the coaches to bring out the best in them, and PEttine, in particular, to utilize them correctly. This makes the draft much more interesting, as it eases some of the pressure to get some defensive starters ASAP.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
I was glad to see us begin aggressive.

It was kind of expensive I would say, but sometimes you have to do that.

As they say the proof is in the pudding.

What do we do with Perry and CM III now though?