July 17, 2019, 05:24:17 PM

Author Topic: Marcedes Lewis  (Read 2447 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Marcedes Lewis
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
Heard they are bringing him back on another 1 yr deal.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Marcedes Lewis
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
That is a very surprising return to me. I really thought he would just retire. Interesting add.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
2017, with Hackett as his OC, he had one of his better all round years helping JAX implement one of the best ground attacks in the NFL and also had 5 receiving TD's.

Hackett will know how to use him better than MM could ever dream of.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:26:50 PM »
2017, with Hackett as his OC, he had one of his better all round years helping JAX implement one of the best ground attacks in the NFL and also had 5 receiving TD's.
Precisely.  Now his versatility will show.  This is also an indication of the commitment to run the darn ball.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
I wanted us to draft one of the Iowa Tight ends.

Don't think that will happen now.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:35:43 AM »
Iowa Tight ends are still in play. Lewis is on a one year deal and both he and Graham are on their last legs. Lewis does not have the speed, but he has great hands. Was massively under utilized in the passing game last year and is among the best blocking TE in the game. IMO it is a good thing to have him back. He will be an asset.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
I honestly didn't watch much of if any of Lewis last season, so I do not really have much of an opinion of him. Other than he is very old (35) for a position player, but this is from an Aaron Nagler tweet this morning.

Bringing back Lewis, who will be 35 in May, was something of a surprise. He caught three passes on the meager three times he was targeted, and opposing scouts saw slippage in his blocking when compared to his 12 seasons in Jacksonville.

"He didn't do anything as a blocker," an NFC North scout said. "Best of luck, but the party is over."     

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
I wanted us to draft one of the Iowa Tight ends.

Don't think that will happen now.
Again, I respectfully disagree.  GB has 2 aging TEs and a young project.  This could be the perfect situation for a rookie TE.  Little pressure but still the opportunity to get numerous reps in practice - especially considering Jimmy's health.

Gute has addressed need in FA and now he can address depth by going BPA in the draft.  This is the correct way to use FA. 

Furthermore, Ball has structured the contracts to have out clauses after 1 or 2 years.  This coincides with a new CBA and a rising cap.  Additionally, these signings, and larger paying years, are occuring/will occur when GB does not have their own high quality draft picks eligible for their second contract.  Very smart.  Well done.

clap) hatsoff)
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
I'm glad Lewis is back. McCarthy didn't know what to do with Tight Ends and I hope LaFleur can utilize what we have!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
Not thrilled to resign Lewis.  Old, slow, and cooked, I think. 
As a D+D wishful guy, I admit I'd much rather keep Tonyan than Lewis and make up some dream in which Tonyan becomes a useful guy.  :)

I'm not sure I'm a believer that blocker-only guys help the offense.  It's just another body to take up space, and every extra blocker-only you put out, that brings one or more defender to the line, and invites other defenders to squeeze closer and closer to the line.  I guess I kinda think the pass sets up the run, and the best way to have some space for the runners is to have defenses worried about receivers.  Lewis-types just invite defenses to come up and stuff the run. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
As a D+D wishful guy, I admit I'd much rather keep Tonyan than Lewis and make up some dream in which Tonyan becomes a useful guy.  :)

I'm not sure I'm a believer that blocker-only guys help the offense.  It's just another body to take up space, and every extra blocker-only you put out, that brings one or more defender to the line, and invites other defenders to squeeze closer and closer to the line.  I guess I kinda think the pass sets up the run, and the best way to have some space for the runners is to have defenses worried about receivers.  Lewis-types just invite defenses to come up and stuff the run.
Seems to me that AR and the coaching staff would love it if the D was sucked up to the line to stop the run.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »

I agree with all of this for the most part. A number of analytics guys claim 'you run to lose'. Their number crunching is above my pay scale, but the danger of the passing game sets up a good running game. So the theory go's.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
QB's and coaches look for single-coverage, and rarely get it.  Secondaries normally assign two guys per target. 

When you replace a WR target with a block-only guy like Lewis, that frees up two defenders.  For a runner, I don't think that helps ypc. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
I think he's a veteran "insurance policy" that was inexpensive.

Consider................Graham gets hurt and misses several games. Do you trust Tonyan or a rookie TE draft pick to handle all the TE duties.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
More McCarthy bashing as to why the TE's haven't worked out in recent years, as he is accused of simply now utilizing the strengths of the TE's he had at his disposal.

He [Lewis] only saw four targets through 16 games and was hardly asked to pave the way in the running game, which was expected to be his primary role when signed to a deal last year. But it seems to be a universally-held belief that Lewis' shortcomings in 2018 weren't a result of him running out of gas, but simply being misused.

And Lewis had this to say:

Lewis participated in a conversation regarding the downfalls for others in his position playing in a McCarthy-led offense in January on Yahoo's 'Mostly Football' show with Martellus Bennett, another free agent tight end acquisition that never panned out.

"As a tight end, I think McCarthy's offense was one of the worst offenses you could be in as a tight end," Bennett said. "I think a lot of the stuff you build as a tight end to be productive, I think that's a lot of the reason why they haven't had an overly-producitve tight end in years there, because of the way the offense is run."

So, is this sour grapes, or more evidence of MM's decline in the years after some very traumatic events in his life? We'll probably never really know. Here is a link to the entire article, if anyone is interested:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/marcedes-lewis-finds-new-life-in-packers-refreshed-offense-334
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid