May 19, 2019, 01:19:25 PM

Author Topic: Marcedes Lewis  (Read 2059 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Marcedes Lewis
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
I think he's a veteran "insurance policy" that was inexpensive.

Consider................Graham gets hurt and misses several games. Do you trust Tonyan or a rookie TE draft pick to handle all the TE duties.

The Packers action suggest you may well be right, but Tonyan has a year of on the job training and should be able to handle the job. IMO

Unless the new staff doesn't view him as a NFL caliber player.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
RT, I think the Pakers view Tonyan as a very different type of player compared to Lewis.

(1) Tonyan's youth/inexperience is no match for Lewis' age/experience, especially when you factor in Lewis past relationship with new OC Hackett.

(2) Tonyan is a developing player with athleticism. Lewis is an aging but wily veteran who's seen it all.

(3) Tonyan has been a QB, WR, and now a TE. Lewis has always been a TE.

(4) Tonyan is not in the same league as Lewis when it comes to blocking.

(5) Tonyan is more of an F or H (Move) TE at this time. Lewis is a Y (Inline) TE, and MLF needs a Y TE to make his offense work the way he wants it to. That is also why I'm on the Hockenson bandwagon, he's the best Y TE that has come along in years and years.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
I'm with you on Hockenson, would be very okay with him as a Packer.

But danno, you said if Graham gets hurt and if Graham gets hurt I believe Tonyan's skillset is better suited to fill in for several games than Lewis'. JMHO

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »
Pretty obvious that having not targeted TE in FA, and having spent all their budget resources on defense, that TE needs to be a draft target. 

I know, I know, nobody is supposed to draft for need.  But, given the ancientness of Lewis and Graham, TE is about as need-based as you can get.  They'll just need to make sure that a TE is a reasonable BPA at one point or another. 

I have no problem with making a need-based pick; and doing so doesn't necessitate violating BPA.  Modest trades are a perfectly reasonable mechanism for putting yourself into a spot where need and BPA meet. Whether that's trading up for a guy who's maybe too good to last to your spot, or trading back to a spot where BPA and need will meet, and picking up a later pick so that you're not losing value. 

Targeting TE make good sense now, timing-wise.  TE isn't routinely a great position for rookies.  Draft a promising TE with one of your top-116 picks (4th round or higher).  *IF* he's ready as a rookie, he can play; if he's not, he's got the year to learn, and better determine how to fix or work around weaknesses.  Not blocked at all, if he's ready to contribute; but not essential that he's playing tons of snaps until/unless he's ready. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
I think he's a veteran "insurance policy" that was inexpensive.

Consider................Graham gets hurt and misses several games. Do you trust Tonyan or a rookie TE draft pick to handle all the TE duties.

I don't, no.  But, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention!  :)  Sometimes guys you can't be sure of work out very well. 

While I can't be sure that Tonyan or rookie will do the job well, I pretty much know for sure that Lewis won't.  I absolutely know that I don't trust Lewis to handle all the TE duties, because he's so ineffective as a pass-catcher, and giving him all the TE duties is just giving defenders free run.  Having a one-dimensional block-only player is completely contrary to the "multiple" capacity a team wants.

And yeah, to large degree Tonyan would be a much better Graham-replacement because he's much more Graham-like than Lewis is.  If you've got some good plays in your playbook in which the TE is a factor as a passing option, or where the structure of the plays depends on defenders respecting the TE, those plays could be used with Tonyan; but would need to all be trashed with Lewis. 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
-On Marcedes Lewis: It sounds like his one-year contract was for $2.1 million, so he may not make it through training camp. As previously stated, GB sees him as a proven blocking TE if one or none of these young prospects steps up.

-The Packers signed a WR named Allen Lazard at the end of last season who projects as a TE in the NFL. On paper at least, he appears to be a similar player to Tonyan:

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/scouting-report-allen-lazard-tight-end-iowa-state/

-The noteworthy item in the above summary is the word “drops.” Maybe that’s why he didn’t get drafted, because he was projected as a 4/5 by NFL.com, and was at last year’s combine. But he’d be a player the Packers would use like RT. -->(not the poster here at PC!)  ( - ; #

Understand, I Like Tonyan, and I hope he continues to improve and become a weapon for the Packer offense. But the Gute brought Lazard in for a reason. He saw a guy he thinks they can develop. What MLF and his staff may think differently.

-I  DO expect the Packers to draft a TE. But I’m not convinced they’d use a 1st round pick, unless Hockenson falls to 30. I believe they’ll have some options on their board for day 2 that will give them the blocking/receiving combo they'll likely seek.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:03:50 PM by JQ »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
I'm with you on Hockenson, would be very okay with him as a Packer.

But danno, you said if Graham gets hurt and if Graham gets hurt I believe Tonyan's skillset is better suited to fill in for several games than Lewis'. JMHO

I agree that Graham and Tonyan are both better classified as F TE's, and Lewis does not fit that mold.

But I see Lewis taking on a larger role IF Graham were to miss time.

He can't do it all, but he does fit the role of a Y TE in MLF's offense.

If Hockenson is gone by #12, they better hope Irv Smith makes it to #30. Fant isn't enough of a Y TE to invest that high a pick for GB. Maybe at #44, but I doubt he lasts that long either.

After Hockenson and Irv Smith, they'd have to wait until the 4th/5th round for players like Dawson Knox, Kaden Smith, Drew Sample, and Foster Moreau who project as Y Te's.
But none of them are as game ready as Hockenson or Irv Smith, and would take a couple years to develop, whereas Hock is a Day 1 player difference maker and Smith would be knocking on the door by mid-season year 1.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/TE?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:46 PM »
I regret talking dumb re Lewis.  I don't know anything, and I want to tryst that the Packers do.  What are some justifications for the deal?
1.  The guaranteed money isn't that much, so *IF* they have more impressive young guys in camp, it's a small hit to cut him.
2.  Likewise $2.1 isn't that much assuming they do keep him.  For a limited role player, he may be perfectly good value.
3.  Hackett the OC had him in jacksonville.  So Hackett should be well familiar with what he was formerly able to contribute, and be well able to evaluate him wisely and utilize him effectively.
4.  Vet presence may be a factor, too?  As a guy who's played under Hackett, the coaches may be happy to have a supportive advocate in the locker room. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »
I regret talking dumb re Lewis.  I don't know anything, and I want to tryst that the Packers do.  What are some justifications for the deal?
1.  The guaranteed money isn't that much, so *IF* they have more impressive young guys in camp, it's a small hit to cut him.
2.  Likewise $2.1 isn't that much assuming they do keep him.  For a limited role player, he may be perfectly good value.
3.  Hackett the OC had him in jacksonville.  So Hackett should be well familiar with what he was formerly able to contribute, and be well able to evaluate him wisely and utilize him effectively.
4.  Vet presence may be a factor, too?  As a guy who's played under Hackett, the coaches may be happy to have a supportive advocate in the locker room.

craig.................no regrets.

You shared your opinion. That's what this is all about here............our opinions.

Keep sharing.   hatsoff)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
There might be a veteran who gets cut in the next three months, if the draft doesn't present a TE solution for us.  Jenkins is a FA still out there and maybe the asking price will drop.  Would like to see the Pack go after CB Morris Claiborne. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »
Michael Cohen reported on his podcast that Lewis looked slow and like he was lumbering downfield in mini-camp.  It will be interesting how MLF uses his TEs as none of them fit the mold of a Y TE.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Lewis is a "Y" TE, which is the blocking TE. Running down the field isn't that big a deal if you are spending most of your time blocking in-line.

What the Packers need is a Combo TE that can block/receive with equal aplomb.

TJ Hockenson would have been that TE, but he a Lion, so Gute will have to wait until either 2020 free agency or the 2020 draft to find that player.

My hope is that Sternberger is a quick study and can take a little pressure off Lewis to have to be "that guy" all the time.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
My hope is that Sternberger is a quick study and can take a little pressure off Lewis to have to be "that guy" all the time.

I think Sternberger is going to happily surprise a lot of people. Probably not this season, as this will be his "learning year". But from readings, he has "game speed" that is faster than the timed runs. That he is not a great bblocker, but is at least willing to try, so that should be a point of development for him. Greg Cosell called him his favorite "sleeper/under the radar" player, and I really believe the Packers had him targetted as their TE pick. And just as they moved up to get Savage, they waited for Sternberger to come to them at #44.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »
Actually Sternberger was pick #75, but.....point taken.

I did read that he could have a rookie year impact as a red zone target, so he may get to cut his teeth more than we think.

Not sure that he was the #1 TE target, but he was surely on the radar as a player to take at the right spot, snd #75 was the right spot.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
Lewis is a "Y" TE, which is the blocking TE. Running down the field isn't that big a deal if you are spending most of your time blocking in-line.

What the Packers need is a Combo TE that can block/receive with equal aplomb.

TJ Hockenson would have been that TE, but he a Lion, so Gute will have to wait until either 2020 free agency or the 2020 draft to find that player.

I should have said a Y TE in the way that MLF historically prefers to use TEs.  MLF has historically preferred TEs that can do both.  His Y TEs usually have the ability to get downfield a bit also.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi