March 25, 2019, 03:13:56 AM

Author Topic: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.  (Read 1352 times)

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
Re: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »

The quiet act of taking a knee resulted in one the most divisive and toxic societal topics. We're not talking about racial inequalities or police brutality are we? The discussion ended up being about Colin Krapernick and free speech. In what way has it positively affected the underlying issue it was supposed to be about?
[/quote]

Folks don't want to talk about racial inequalities, or don't believe they exist, so they changed the subject to things like insulting veterans. As for the affect, I think there has been affect but it's hard to quantify. Its pretty clear that athlete protests and Black Lives Matters protests have got the attention of police departments and cities.The heightened scrutiny certainly has prompted a lot of police forces to revisit their training, to attempt new ways to engage with their community and to look at issues like recruitment. This week's Supreme Court decision outlawing egregious fines comes directly out of the growing recognition and outrage for civil forfeiture of cities and police departments that have hurt people of color more severely. 

One question, how does misspelling someone's name to make it into an insult, fit into the grand ethical scheme that you are sharing with us.  On the surface it seems like 3rd grade level immaturity, but since you have this thoughtful ethical system that you are sharing, I'm probably misunderstanding that deeper more mature meaning in that.   

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 09:06:39 AM »
I agree with you. Nobody wanted the headaches.

But, Reid was signed. Because he was not the "protester in chief". He knelt as much as CK, but it was Kaepernick who became the symbol of the protests. And as far as not wanting the headaches, Kareem Hunt signed by Cleveland after video evidence of abuse. Greg Hardy signed by Dallas after multiple accusations of abuse. Ben Roethlisberger retained by the Steelers after multiple accusations of severe abuse. Mike Vick signed after serving prison time for multiple abuses of animals. There are more examples, but it seems clear that teams are willing to take on "headaches" if they're talented enough. Except for Kaepernick. Was there a written agreement between all teams not to sign him? No. But was there an overall understanding that he was "damaged goods", that the NFL feared the resurgence of the outrage that affected TV ratings for a year or two? That time had apparently allowed the situation to cool down, and the NFL didn't want to stir the pot?

Now that a settlement has been reached, will some team sign him? If so, as stated earlier, the sooner the better. Though with the recent troubles of Kraft in Florida, it would seem the Patriots would be less likely to add another controversy at this time. So, Miami or Carolina are still possible landing spots for him as a backup.

I don’t disagree with anything you say here. But it all started with CK. Now the kneeling stuff has died down somewhat. Signing CK would start it all up again. I don’t think the NFL wants that again. I’ll bet somewhere in the agreement he agreed to go away. Time will tell.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
I agree with you. Nobody wanted the headaches.

But, Reid was signed. Because he was not the "protester in chief". He knelt as much as CK, but it was Kaepernick who became the symbol of the protests. And as far as not wanting the headaches, Kareem Hunt signed by Cleveland after video evidence of abuse. Greg Hardy signed by Dallas after multiple accusations of abuse. Ben Roethlisberger retained by the Steelers after multiple accusations of severe abuse. Mike Vick signed after serving prison time for multiple abuses of animals. There are more examples, but it seems clear that teams are willing to take on "headaches" if they're talented enough. Except for Kaepernick. Was there a written agreement between all teams not to sign him? No. But was there an overall understanding that he was "damaged goods", that the NFL feared the resurgence of the outrage that affected TV ratings for a year or two? That time had apparently allowed the situation to cool down, and the NFL didn't want to stir the pot?

Now that a settlement has been reached, will some team sign him? If so, as stated earlier, the sooner the better. Though with the recent troubles of Kraft in Florida, it would seem the Patriots would be less likely to add another controversy at this time. So, Miami or Carolina are still possible landing spots for him as a backup.

I don’t disagree with anything you say here. But it all started with CK. Now the kneeling stuff has died down somewhat. Signing CK would start it all up again. I don’t think the NFL wants that again. I’ll bet somewhere in the agreement he agreed to go away. Time will tell.

Not sure of the legality of keeping him out based on the agreement, but it seems keeping his mouth shut is part of it.  His attorney seems to think he can still be signed, so we'll see what happens.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »