June 25, 2019, 10:42:53 PM

Author Topic: Allison Signed  (Read 673 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Allison Signed
« on: March 16, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/report-geronimo-allison-returning-to-packers/

One year deal, will pay him more than the restricted free agent tender, and includes guarantees and incentives.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Allison Signed
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »
I guess there were several teams preparing an offer to sign him away.

Packers got wind of the interest, sweetened the deal, Allison didn't want to leave in first place. Made it an easy decision for him to stay.

As of now, he's on the books from a cap standpoint, but nothing is guaranteed. If he doesn't make the final cut, his numbers are wiped off the books.

But, he's a good fit in MLF's offense, which needs a true #1 like Tae Adams, but the #2 only needs to be a possesion type WR, and that is Allison to a "T".

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »
.But, he's a good fit in MLF's offense, which needs a true #1 like Tae Adams, but the #2 only needs to be a possesion type WR, and that is Allison to a "T".

What I'm wondering, and this is sincere Q, but how will the offense work in terms of spacing?  Adams is excellent but isn't a deep-speed guy.  MVS is the only deep speed guy on present roster.  Allison, St. Brown, Kumerow, Graham, Lewis aren't deep guys, or Adams. 

Pardon the length/ramble, but I wonder this from two recent contexts:  The Bucks and Capers/HaHa/Randall! 

The Bucks are the best team in the NBA thus far.  Bucks fans make constant reference to the improved "spacing": 3-point shooters spaces the court, by pulling out defenders, and providing space underneath for Brogdon and Bledsoe to drive.  (Giannis too, although he gets attention regardless of 3-point gunners.)  The whole concept is to extend and spread out the defense and provide space underneath.  I guess I'm wondering whether the Packers might conversely be moving towards a compressed anti-spacing plan where there is lesser space underneath. 

With Caper and HaHa 2017, it could be 3rd-and-8, but he'd still play so deep that a receiver/TE could run to the first down line, make an open catch, and get hit by Haha only after the first down.  I asked myself, why doesn't Haha play tighter and defend/contest 3 yards before the first-down line?  And why does Randall start 6 yards off the line, and then back up another 5 the second the ball is snapped, and concede 8 yard easy completions outside?   Well, obvious answer was because Capers and Haha and Randall were afraid of big plays and preferred to concede 5-8 yard completions and first downs.

So, my question is, where will we get the spacing?  Is there a risk that corners and safeties will tend to press in closer and closer, with no fear?  That the whole defensive net tends to tighten in, to compress? 
*Leaving less spacing and room underneath for TE's and possession receivers? 
*Leaving less space underneath for YAC? 
*Leaving less room for running backs to run, because safeties and slots and corners and ILB aren't that far off and are tending to have their eyes underneath. 
*With defenders mostly free to play within 1-15 yards of the line, perhaps you are also more vulnerable to safety and corner blitz? 

Is there a risk that MLF offense might be so oriented towards short possession stuff that the defenses won't be conceding short possession passes?  That short runs and possession passes won't be "taking what the defense gives you", but that the defense won't be giving you even that, and won't really be giving us anything?  I admit I'm paranoid and just kind of nervous that with us working mostly underneath, that defenses will play to stop even that, and nothing will be easy; and it will be really hard to sustain a series of 1st-down conversions.  That congested with blocking TE's LBers and safeties, Jones and Wiliams will struggle to find running room?  That receivers or screens or TE's running or slanting or crossing 5-15 yards off the line will just have a lot of traffic to fight through? 

Or hopefully, as GM has alluded to, maybe Rodgers and MLF will love it if defenses compress?  Mabye Adams and Geronimo and St. Brown as well as MVS will occasionally be able to break free over the top, and the short underneath stuff will set lots of explosive plays?  Maybe if the defensive net is compressed, then when a screen or a back or a receiver does find a seam, maybe there's only one defender on his side of the field to beat for a TD?  Hopefully it will work great, and we'll have a great win-win combination of effective running, effective screens, short quick conversions, some modest ones that YAC into explosive plays, and some variably long completions too, some of which YAC into even longer.  And we'll have so many good ways to gain yards that defenses will be helpless, confused, and tired!  In the Bucks analogy, it's not 3-point bombing OR driving and scoring inside; it's both, each facilitates the other, the team is excellent at both, and whatever the opponent tries to take away the Bucks can take advantage with the others.  Hopefully that will be the Packers, with explosive plays and underneath stuff BOTH working effectively and both enabling the other, and that whatever an opponent tries to take away, that will just make them vulnerable to something else.   

Rodgers getting accurate is going to be kinda crucial to any such consistent happy-offense landscape!   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
Best thing I can tell you is to watch the 2018 San Fran offense................in particular, TE George Kittle (#85) and FB/H-B Kyle Juszczyk (#44). Those two players would be the Packers equivalent of Lewis/Hockenson (if drafted) and Danny Vitale. Tonyan could factor into the Kittle role as well, since he's been training with Kittle this whole off-season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLkGpIGQHk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_O-wIF2ZmE

MLF's offense will look a lot like Shanahan's.

The run game will stress the edges, while the passing game will stress all three levels...............and it will be done from the same look/formation and personnel type packages. And that will include a heavy dose of 12 personnel.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Good question Craig.

Allison is simply not a speed guy.  Period.

The word you were searching for was squatting.  When a defense knows you cannot challenge them deep, they play what is called a squatting defense.  This means they wait for the 7-8 yard pass and then simply destroy the receiver. 

We do not have anyone like the Niners Kittle on our offense.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:19:06 PM »
In the MLF/Shanahan offense the #2 WR isn't asked top take the top off a defense. The #2 is the possession WR and the defines Allison very properly.

Now, if they do want to send a WR deep, they have both MVS and ESB to do that.

Again, you need to watch the 49'er offense to get a sense of what they do in the passing game, because you will see a similar type offense in GB.