August 21, 2019, 01:25:45 AM

Author Topic: Happy St Pat's Day  (Read 592 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Happy St Pat's Day
« on: March 16, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
to Ryan who is moving on to Jacksonville.  Reportedly the Packers were interested in re-signing him but he obviously thought he had a better deal with Jacksonville.

That leaves Martinez and Burks as the only true inside LB's on the team.  Martinez does some thing well but he isn't very mobile.  Burks has a lot of physical skills but didn't show anything last year.  Don't look for much help in the draft as this is a really weak spot except for a few players on the top

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Happy St Pat's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
You never know.................Devin White would be an easy "yes" if he's still there at #12, and the same would hold true if Devin Bush was still hanging around at #30.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:03:24 PM »
to Ryan who is moving on to Jacksonville.  Reportedly the Packers were interested in re-signing him but he obviously thought he had a better deal with Jacksonville.

That leaves Martinez and Burks as the only true inside LB's on the team.  Martinez does some thing well but he isn't very mobile.  Burks has a lot of physical skills but didn't show anything last year.  Don't look for much help in the draft as this is a really weak spot except for a few players on the top

Just curious what you consider mobile? And what testing by the current prospects that would highlight their mobility?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:47:52 AM »
Since the Packers have invested a 4th, 4th and 3rd at ILB in consecutive years, that looks like the window where they want to address this position.

On that basis, a more likely target is USC Senior ILB Cameron Smith (probably a 3rd round pick) or Utah Senior Cody Barton (probably a 4th).

Cameron Smith is 6'2", 238lb, 4.69 40, 39" and 123" for the vert and broad jumps, 15 reps on the bar, 4.23 short shuttle.
Cody Barton is 6'2", 237, 4.64 40, 32.5" and 116" for the vert and broad jumps, 30 reps on the bar, 6.9 3cone, 4.03 short shuttle.

Barton in the 4th is my guess at this time, if the Packers go ILB.  Tough, tenacious, powerful, smart on the field reading the action, with a great motor. I'd keep those earlier draft picks for positions like Edge, D line, O line, Safety, Tight End, maybe even WR.

For RT's question which to paraphrase it was "What tests would you consider show mobility", I'll point you out two links. The first is a study on the correlation between exceeding the average test score for your position at the combine and how it translates into NFL success.

https://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttributes_NFLSuccess.pdf

Next is the 'spiderweb that tells us how well a player did in each drill/measurement (I showed Barton's numbers) https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/cody-barton

In the example given, Barton exceeded the average score by a large margin in 5 tests, Bench (94%), Long Shuttle (80%), Short Shuttle (96%), 3 cone (82%), 40yd dash (70%). His height was also good for the position (71%). That exceeds the average scores in enough categories to give him a solid chance as an NFL player, and perhaps more important, it shows the kind of scores to interest the Packers, who absolutely love high RAS players.

Interestingly, the comp for Barton is............Blake Martinez. 
Here is thedraftnetwork eval for Barton https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/cody-barton
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:14:13 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:25:54 AM »
Dumb question:  in the spiderweb percentiles, who is that relative to?  NFL players?  (Combine scores for guys who actually made it?)  Or combine-invitees, past and present?  Or some other collection of draft-eligible college players?

I ask because the relative standards get lower as you go from NFL-guys to combine-guys to college-seniors.  I assume it must be lower than NFL guys, since every late-round pick the Packers have selected in recent years always seems to be 60-90th percentile at almost all of the metrics.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing the PhysAttributes study 1265, that might be the best piece of information anyone has ever shared here.

As for my question, I was attempting to lead the witness.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
Dumb question:  in the spiderweb percentiles, who is that relative to?  NFL players?  (Combine scores for guys who actually made it?)  Or combine-invitees, past and present?  Or some other collection of draft-eligible college players?

I ask because the relative standards get lower as you go from NFL-guys to combine-guys to college-seniors.  I assume it must be lower than NFL guys, since every late-round pick the Packers have selected in recent years always seems to be 60-90th percentile at almost all of the metrics.

The spiderweb can be applied to all football players at all levels because each arm of the web is based on a score of 0 to 100.

However, for integrity purposes you would likely want to compare NFL and Draft Prospects to each other, College to College, and HS to HS.