September 22, 2019, 03:56:15 PM

Author Topic: Packers draft strategy  (Read 3190 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Packers draft strategy
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »

Online PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
Maybe I'm all wrong here. What if the Packers drafted a offensive tackle at 12 and then moved up from our second pick in the 1st rd to draft Cody Ford, offensive guard?  How's that for a shock?  I've been thinking defense all along with the first three picks.  I really like the Big ten OL (Jordan, McGovern), maybe the brass feels like defense will come in rds 2-5.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
It appears that the grades of players at the lower part of 1st round aren't a lot different then the first two thirds of the second round. Wouldn't be shocked if Gutsy trades that #30 pick and grabs some additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I also think maybe OT at 12 and another offensive weapon with their 2nd pick wherever/whenever it is, like a TE/RB/WR.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
These are just my opinions/opinings:

I'm not sure how Gutey feels about the pass rush we currently have. Obviously, the two Smiths were meant to be "The guys" this season and hopefully beyond. I'm not exactly comfortable with Fackrell as EDGE 3, I'd like to see another guy (maybe round 2-3) there to at least push or usurp him. My worry is that Oliver, Allen, Bosa & Burns will all be gone by the time we get to 12. If he really, really loves one of those guys, I think he'll be working the phones pretty hard to grab one. I've been really pleased with the way Gutey has addressed the pass rush so far.

Of course, there's a chance one of those pass rushers will fall into our laps (I mean, Derwin James dropped in our laps last year!) but if it doesn't work out, I keep getting the vibe that Gutey is also looking to re-vamp the O-Line. I wouldn't be surprised if he grabbed Jawaan Taylor (OT - Florida) if he dropped. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Bulaga fan, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field. I genuinely don't expect anything less than 2 OL drafted by the end of next weekend.

I'm really interested to see how we address the Linebacker position. Martinez and Burks are already locked in, but I wonder if Josh Jones is going to play more sub linebacker? Considering that we only have one and a half offseasons to go off of, I wonder how Gutey values the two Devins (White and Bush)?

Another few interesting spots to look at are RB and WR. Gutey went pretty heavy on BIG receivers last year and I don't think he'll be hasty in letting those guys develop, but the depth in this year's draft seems really good. I think the rumors of taking one in the 1st or 2nd round are just smoke, personally. As for RB, I think Gutey isn't overly confident in what we have. Don't get me wrong, Aaron Jones has been criminally under-used, but if they're really going to commit to the run, I think it makes sense to get a guy that has comparable ability to Jones. (Hey, I'm also a fan of Jamaal Williams)

Gutey, for the love of Lombardi, find a way to land TJ Hockenson. He really seems to fit what Lafleur wants to do at Tight End.

I feel pretty strongly that we absolutely have to land a coverage Safety in the first 3 rounds. Personally, I like this year's crop of Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, and Hooker.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
Interesting article on possible Achilles Heel for potential targets at #12.

Interesting that the writer states that Hockenson may be the safest pick of the bunch, but his AH may be he may be near his ceiling.

Reminds me a little bit of when TT drafted Hawk at #5.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/19/breaking-down-the-achilles-heel-of-potential-packers-targets-at-no-12/

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
Keep an eye on Seattle's pick at #21.  If Gute wants to come up a little earlier in the first round, Seattle is looking to gather some pick(s) (they only have 4).  #21 might be an ideal spot for Gute to get someone he wants. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
Keep an eye on Seattle's pick at #21.  If Gute wants to come up a little earlier in the first round, Seattle is looking to gather some pick(s) (they only have 4).  #21 might be an ideal spot for Gute to get someone he wants.

I saw that idea floated at the nflspinezone.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/04/20/green-bay-packers-nfl-mock-draft-2019-trades-realistic/3/

Packers get #21 and give SEA #30, #114, and #185.

Not sure I'm a fan of that................but, it depends on who's there at #21.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/04/20/green-bay-packers-nfl-mock-draft-2019-trades-realistic/3/

Not sure I'm a fan of that................but, it depends on who's there at #21.

I'm going to be the wet blanket here. GB and Seattle made a deal in the 1st round a year ago and the trade was worked out almost to a point of the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. The parameters of a trade have been set for the most part, trading 30, 114 and 185 for 21 is not even close to actual value. 

Possible Seattle-GB trade

Seattle picks #21=800, #124=48, total points 848

GB picks #30=620, #75=215, #194=13.4, total points 848.4     
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:38:33 PM by RT »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »

I going to be the wet blanket here. GB and Seattle made a deal in the 1st round a year ago and the trade was worked out almost to a point of the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. The parameters of a trade have been set for the most part, trading 30, 114 and 185 for 21 is not even close to actual value.   

I hadnt seen the spinzone article.  Just knew the Seachickens were looking to possibly move back.  Danno's post was the first Id seen with possible trade parameters.  Id be surprised if Schneider stays put at 21, not sure if it will be GB, but he needs picks.

The Jets and Bills are reportedly interested in Frank Clark, maybe Schneider gets some picks there?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 05:12:23 PM by The GM »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2019, 10:33:15 PM »
As long as we dont draft  CB or QB in the first two rounds I'll be ok. I'd prefer some ILB with sideline to sideline ability or an offensive weapon, but we will see what happens.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 06:34:01 AM »
As long as we dont draft  CB or QB in the first two rounds I'll be ok. I'd prefer some ILB with sideline to sideline ability or an offensive weapon, but we will see what happens.

I wouldnt be opposed to a QB or CB, if the talent is there. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »

I wouldnt be opposed to a QB or CB, if the talent is there.

If the best talent on their board is a QB or CB they will draft them and that is what they should do. Fans convince themselves though the process that the Packers need players at certain positions and then are disappointed if someone is drafted other than their believed perceived need. The Packers have zero needs going into the draft, they have some wants only. They can draft the player that they believe is the best player at every pick in the draft, their are no positional limitations.