June 25, 2019, 11:15:33 PM

Author Topic: Breeland Gone, Cobb visiting Cowboys  (Read 1895 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Breeland Gone, Cobb visiting Cowboys
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:25 AM »
Mult Sources: Breeland is going to sign with the Chiefs.  Looks like Cobb is visting the Cowboys.

Report: Jordy is visting the Seahawks on Tues and is drawing interest from some teams. no idea who those teams are.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:13:30 AM by The GM »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Breeland Gone, Cobb visiting Cowboys
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
I thought Breeland was one that would make it back to us. Maybe Wilkerson can still be brought back on a prove it deal. Tre Boston is still available as well. If we got Boston we have some solid backend starters.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
One year and 5 million max?  Seems like we could have afforded that. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Kentrell Brice to Tampa Bay, one year deal.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
On the other hand, the Packers probably are not done with FA yet:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/curtis-riley-visits-packers/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »
On the other hand, the Packers probably are not done with FA yet:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/curtis-riley-visits-packers/

Riley left town without a deal, and Cobb reportedly left Dallas without a deal.  (Doesnt mean they wont sign there)

Team that are reportedly interested in Jordy are: Seattle (tomorrow), NE, KC, Oak and the Titans.  Where he ends up, your guess is as good as mine. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:37:55 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
I'm starting to hear the #Packers aren't in good salary cap shape as reported. Because of cap charges that weren't previously calculated, multiple sources say they are very tight after their most recent spending spree. One source estimated it was close to $5M under. We'll see.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:23:09 PM »

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
I'm starting to hear the #Packers aren't in good salary cap shape as reported. Because of cap charges that weren't previously calculated, multiple sources say they are very tight after their most recent spending spree. One source estimated it was close to $5M under. We'll see.

I think that may have to do with Martinez, Fackrell, and Lowry who all got healthy salary bumps due to performance/time played, etc that is part of the CBA.

They are each making just over $2M ths year because of that, which is about a $1M to $1.3M bump for each pf them.
In addition they bumped Allison's tender to keep him as well.
Those 4 probably ate up $4.5-$5M of what was previously calculated as remaining salary cap.

Also, factor in Marcedes Lewis at $2.1M

I still think there's more cuts coming based on what happens in the draft.
Players like Trevor Davis, Kapri Biggs, among others...............and don't rule out Jason Spriggs if they draft a couple OT's.

Also, They could extend Mason Crosby's contract and reduce his 2019 cap number by doing so.

There's things they can do to gain space if they need to.

Silverstein is generating clickbait with that tweet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:29:46 PM by dannobanano »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
One would have to assume the Packers knew the CBA well enough to know if Fackrell, martinez and Lowry were going to get raises, and they probably knew they were paying Lewis money.  So as danno notes, I don't think the Packers can be surprised.  But I think Silverstein may be correct that they are tighter than either the MJS or spotrack may have been reporting or than fans have been assuming.  But yeah, even if he and I hadn't realized, doesn't mean Gute and Ball hadn't!  :) 

Would cutting guys like Davis or Biggs make any difference?   Maybe $0.2 or $0.1, maybe?  Peanuts.   

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:05:25 PM »
One would have to assume the Packers knew the CBA well enough to know if Fackrell, martinez and Lowry were going to get raises, and they probably knew they were paying Lewis money.  So as danno notes, I don't think the Packers can be surprised.  But I think Silverstein may be correct that they are tighter than either the MJS or spotrack may have been reporting or than fans have been assuming.  But yeah, even if he and I hadn't realized, doesn't mean Gute and Ball hadn't!  :) 

Would cutting guys like Davis or Biggs make any difference?   Maybe $0.2 or $0.1, maybe?  Peanuts.

I agree with Craig. Numbers reported are being worked by guys who are trying to calculate based on what they know about salary caps. Gute and Ball have been calculating cap numbers for their whole career and are versed in the rules and formulas that dictate their jobs. I think they know exactly how much money they were and are spending.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 05:27:17 AM »
Little doubt that the Packers have known every step of the way where they were at to the penny. The point of me sharing that was point out their current position, it would suggest that the Packers only action in FA moving forward will be in the veteran minimum market. Maybe that is why little attempt was made to retain Breeland? Maybe.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:31 AM »
Completely agree, RT, anybody they do sign will probably be low-ticket, minimum type guys.  So be it. 

Agree that would very well explain why even a $5M for Breeland might have been too much.  Obviously they could have skipped signing Lewis and reserved that money for something else, but maybe even then a Breeland-caliber guy would have still been too pricey. 

I'm not a huge Breeland fan, but did think he had a chance to be OK.  I wonder if after spending six top picks on secondary over the past several drafts, they will still be spending a pick before the end of Day 2?  Kind of crazy that after committing the majority of their draft capital to the secondary, it still is very thin and underpopulated. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »
After further review....

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
So, in double-checking cap numbers with people who know, the #Packers were $13M under as of yesterday. Remove about $5M for their draft picks and they're $8M under, not $5M as some have been led to believe. But do they have $$ reserved for someone else? Maybe Matthews? A safety?.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:09:50 AM by The GM »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
OK, well, thanks for that!  That's helpful.  $13M doesn't seem inordinately small. Not too small to have afforded Breeland at the price he signed for.  That allows a couple of million.  TT liked to keep ≥$4 for emergencies and for rollover.  But if Gute wanted to keep $4, heh could still have ~$4 to use. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid