August 23, 2019, 02:03:42 PM

Author Topic: slot receiver  (Read 4837 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
slot receiver
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:59:00 AM »
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/25/packers-notes-ted-thompson-targeted-clay-matthews-2009-draft/3264638002/

In this post Gute talks about how he likes bigger guys to play the slot because they are more durable.  Sounds like they may be satisfied with what they have and will not be looking for the traditional smaller quicker guy.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: slot receiver
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »
Agree with that, I think the Packers are confident that some of the young guys that they have will do well as slot WR's.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:30 AM »
 One injury away from disaster at WR. Sorry, We have the chance to add players with Greg Jennings and Desean Jackson type of ceilings. Kumerow and Allison aren't good enough to get us to the SB. Need to add more. People are rabbit holed into defense, Pettine would have had a top 10 defense last year easy if he had a little help from the offense and didn't get decimated by injuries. CHI and Minny have tough defenses, we have to upgrade the offense for years down the line. Janis could have done a better job than what we fielded last year, and he wasn't good enough to keep around, look at stats and target %. My green and gold glasses are off when it comes to the WR group and the future.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »
Packers signed WR Allen Lazard away from JAX practice squad last December. I wonder what they see in him and how he may fit in the new scheme?

Big Slot? He's 6-5/227.He ran a 4.55 forty at the Combine last year. That's faster than Tae Adams.And he posted a 38" vertical. He'd be a big target in the slot.

In addition to Lazard and the other "known" members of the WR corp, the roster currently also has Teo Redding 6-1/176.

I expect another couple WR's to be added, but I'm beginning to think that it won't be until much later in the draft, or even UDFA's that they bring in.

A lot of questions as to what kind of personnel MLF will want in this new offense.

We can't think of the past and what MM would want. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »
Would Graham be a good fit in the slot? Or is he too slow and not able to get YAC anymore? Will the Packers have a designated slot player, or will they use a rotational approach to try to get a mismatch? And if Rodgers doesn't throw to the guy because he doesn't trust him, this whole discussion is moot.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Would Graham be a good fit in the slot? Or is he too slow and not able to get YAC anymore? Will the Packers have a designated slot player, or will they use a rotational approach to try to get a mismatch? And if Rodgers doesn't throw to the guy because he doesn't trust him, this whole discussion is moot.

Graham's a big question mark as to how they will fit him in this new offense, so I guess we wait and see what MLF/Hackett have cooked up for him.

Would not surprise me to see multiple players used from the slot. Heck, last year they even played Tae Adams for the slot on occassion.

I think MLF/Hackett/Getsy will be "coaching" Rodgers hard to get him over that "trust" issue.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »
 A big slot is considered 6' 200 lbs, I think people are reading too much into this. There are players that can start in the slot but become much more and be moved around. I like some of the WR's from last year, but they are developmental, not willing to put all our eggs in that basket. We are GB and we need to be a feared offense competing for the SB.

There was a rumor we were going to draft Dante Pettis in the 2nd last year, but SF traded ahead of us and drafted him. This year there are those two Ohio St players that I view as better prospects in Campbell and McLaurin, along with others. It just makes sense to me to add a couple higher picks to get us back to an elite offense down the road than continue with late round value.

As far as Graham goes, he could have a big year if he can take on the Delanie Walker role in the MLF offense from Tenn. But, is he the future? - nope.

Offline IBV

• Second String
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
What about Deebo Samuel , WR out of SC , looks like a slot guy to me , 5-11 , 214 lbs , maybe he might be there in the 2nd round !  Just a thought.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
 Samuel would be a good one, read somewhere there are concerns about hamstring injuries though. May be able to trade down in the second or up from the third for him.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
A big slot is considered 6' 200 lbs, I think people are reading too much into this. There are players that can start in the slot but become much more and be moved around. I like some of the WR's from last year, but they are developmental, not willing to put all our eggs in that basket. We are GB and we need to be a feared offense competing for the SB.

There was a rumor we were going to draft Dante Pettis in the 2nd last year, but SF traded ahead of us and drafted him. This year there are those two Ohio St players that I view as better prospects in Campbell and McLaurin, along with others. It just makes sense to me to add a couple higher picks to get us back to an elite offense down the road than continue with late round value.

As far as Graham goes, he could have a big year if he can take on the Delanie Walker role in the MLF offense from Tenn. But, is he the future? - nope.

You are right about Pettis and the 49ers traded up and snagged him out from under the Packers. Not going to lobby hard against you here SET4YRS because I do believe that if the value is there that the Packers will draft a player at any position (at least I am hoping they still take that approach). But I will add that after Pettis got away the Packers added 3 WR's that they appear to like a fair bit and after paying for a year of their education, I don't believe they want to throw that investment away and go through more growing pains just for the sake of change. On the Packers big board WR's will have a positional adjustment, so in all likelihood most WR's will be slightly lower on their board than some other teams boards.

You have made it clear where you stand about the WR's, but in short I just don't think the Packers agree with you and in the end that will be all that matters.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
 Doubt it. If they wanna chance waiting another 2 years for players to develop and not add any talent now, it will be a big risk. And failure would be a huge waste.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
I appreciate your passion on the subject, but why is drafting a new set of WR's less risk than the risk of the current set of WR's? With the parity design that is the NFL, the numbers crunch does not allow a team to do both. The Packers are not getting rid of Adams or Allison. If they add WR's in the draft this year, they will need to cut WR's they drafted last year. Maybe they will, but that seems a little counterproductive to me is all. But maybe. 

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 02:08:36 AM »
Renfrow or Isabella? Kumerow or Allison? If Gute did not have a plan in mind they would have signed Cobb for another year.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »
 OK, one more post and I'm done.

Depth Chart:
 Davante Adams.

Two good developmental players that could become good consistent #2 WRs, but when?

Two injury prone UDFA #3 WRs at their ceiling.

A talent that couldn't figure out the offense and get on the field last year.

An injury prone KR/PR that offers nothing to the offense.

A QB that clearly stated he needs a WR to consistently make plays out the slot.

A GM that said in a recent interview a slot WR will play a prominent role in the new offense.

There it is, it all adds up to us needing to spend a higher pick on a day one talent. It's disappointing to me no other posters are talking about this. The thought that every late round pick or every player that makes the roster will develop into a starter is ridiculous. If we end up 4 deep at WR, great, the last time that happened we were competing for Super Bowls.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »
They can cut Davis at any time, he has done nothing since he has been here.  That creates a WR opening.