August 23, 2019, 01:07:43 PM

Author Topic: slot receiver  (Read 4835 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: slot receiver
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Taking a look at Parris Campbell, I really like what he can bring.  Not real polished, but he has a Percy Harvin type of game.  Just not sure what pick it would take to draft him (44?), and if he'd fit in GB. Can go in the slot or move outside.  Caught 90 balls and 12 td's last year.  Speed galore and decent size.  He'd be a good weapon for LaFleur to tinker with in his offense.  Any thoughts on Campbell?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:54:12 PM by The GM »

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
Terry Godwin and Penny Hart are late round possibilities

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
I'm struggling with that slot receiver spot. I know Cobb played it last and was maybe the best over the past few years, but I've (we've) all read about how MLF wants a bigger body in the slot. Saying that...he had Gabriel in Atlanta and used him all over the field. I know that whoever they pick, he will need to be able to run the route tree. They picked three very good prospect last year. If/when they pick another wideout, slot/X/flanker/whatever...I can't believe they would go with another prospect with great speed and can't run routes. They will have to be very good route runners and have great hands. Maybe those are the guys to look for.....
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
My guess is that any WR they draft will also have to be a decent PR/KR

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 07:41:20 PM »
We have to remember that everything goes around. The last 7-10 years has been all about bigger WR's. Therefore the drafting of bigger DB's. Now look what the Chiefs have done. They went with smaller, faster and quick WR's. They make those bigger DB's look really slow. For my money Paris Campbell of Ohio State is the perfect slot target. He's played in a pro-style offense in college, and not only was very productive, he also has speed to burn. He won't make it out of the first round. This isn't a player that Al Davis would draft, Campbell has real talent.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
Terry Godwin and Penny Hart are late round possibilities

I believe Jeff Smith and Deandre Thomkins have visited the Packers - looks like they want a returner other than Trevor Davis. They may not be ideal slot guys, but do fit on ST.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:22:15 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 12:42:28 PM »
My guess as of right now is that all the WR's that line up and play the majority of downs from scrimmage during the 2019 season are already on the roster, slot position or others.

The Packers may well be telling us their draft plan at WR, but are fans listening. The Packers have 11 WR's currently under contract and will probably go to camp with 13, maybe 14. Most of the prospects they have been link to are of the very late round or UDFA types. I am starting to believe that WR is ignored in the draft and a couple of UDFA's are signed after the draft to fill out the camp roster for the position. This a list of the potential UDFA's that I can link the Packers to so far.

Penny Hart, Georgia State
Cody Thompson, Toledo
Alex Wesley, Northern Colorado
Jeff Smith, Boston College
Olabisi Johnson, Colorado State
DeAndre Thompkins, Penn State
Tyron Johnson, Oklahoma State

One or two of these guys may get drafted, but there will be a good supply of talent that does not. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
This could be true. MLF hasn't shied away from indicating that he could go with a bigger body WR at Slot (Kumerow, Brown, Allison), and Tae Adams has said he's looking forward to playing from the Slot as well.

My feeling is that of the names you just mentioned, which ones offer the most production as PR/KR, which could be their ticket to making this squad. I don't see Trevor Davis being in the plans this year, unless they can't find someone with "returner" tattooed on their forehead.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpZhlzFXRY

Mecole Hardman - fills slot / KR / PR. Shades of Tyreek Hill?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpZhlzFXRY

Mecole Hardman - fills slot / KR / PR. Shades of Tyreek Hill?

I watch that and all I see is a guy that is really fast, but I see zero as a slot player in those clips. He had one career ST's return for a TD in his career and that was again Middle Tennessee in a blow-out. This is from Tony Pauline's scouting report on him,

Analysis:
Hardman is a terrific athlete who displayed flashes of ability for Georgia but never elevated his game. He's unpolished as a receiver and may get consideration at cornerback, but the bottom line is that Hardman must make an NFL roster off his ability to return kicks and punts.

I know there is much love on this board for Hardman, but I'm not seeing it. A late round flyer on a return only would be okay I guess, but I think their are better returners in this class than him if the Packers are looking for a return only guy and some of those can probably be had as UDFA's.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
A lot of respect for Pauline, but he's one of many opinions.

There are others who feel that Hardman will be a better pro than college player because of Georgia's run heavy offense and the other WR options that were on the team with Hardman. Is he a finished product? No. But he has tremendous value to be used in numerous ways, and speed always kills.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mecole-hardman

Hardman is one of the most electric weapons in the NFL Draft class. He uses his speed and fluidity to stretch the field from the slot, showing promise on deep balls. Additionally, his ability in space can be utilized in the RPO game. Hardman’s field vision and elusiveness allow him to be one of the best kick and punt return prospects in the NFL Draft. Hardman had just mediocre production, which was likely due to the talent surrounding him on Georgia’s offense. He projects as a better professional receiver than college, an an NFL team may be able to better utilize his ability. After the NFL Combine, I expect Hardman to be considered on Day 2 of the NFL Draft.

Here's another...........

Like most of the Georgia offensive skill players, the production doesn’t stand out due to the run-heavy nature of the offense and the other worthy targets in the passing game. What makes Hardman so exciting is that he offers top speed, but he also has excellent ball skills that makes him a legitimate vertical threat that can stretch defenses. Hardman complements his vertical receiving skills with dynamic potential in the return game and creating after the catch. I would like to see Hardman develop a broader route tree to become a more complete receiver, but he profiles as a starting slot receiver in the NFL that can be used in a variety of ways.

Plus, on punt returns he averaged 11.78 yds/return on 23 attempts in 2017 and 20.06 yds/return on 16 attempts in 2018. Those kind of stats aren't misleading.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:56:29 AM by dannobanano »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
I know that Hardman is one of your guys, but we will just need to agree to disagree on him. I think he will be much higher on some other teams boards than on the Packers board. Not overly impressed by his gaudy punt return average, because of the talent level on the Georgia roster he often was given ample cushion and opportunity to get to the second level. Yet with those opportunities he only returned one punt for a TD in his career. The one thing I did love about him and I believe is the best quality that he has is how well he tracks the deep ball, but negative might be that he can't beat press coverage off the line. That is not just me thinking that, this is from the draftnetwork.com link you provided.

Listed 5-foot-10, 183 pounds and size is a limitation on tape. Willing blocker, but too often overwhelmed by bigger corners. Can get gripped up vs press coverage and has a hard time working free. Have not seen any examples of him winning in contested catch situations.

Through the pre-draft process I have no guys, I am only trying to narrow down who may well be strong possibilities for the Packers. After the draft is over, the players the Packers draft and the players they sign as UDFA's will be my guys.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
I know that Hardman is one of your guys, but we will just need to agree to disagree on him. I think he will be much higher on some other teams boards than on the Packers board. Not overly impressed by his gaudy punt return average, because of the talent level on the Georgia roster he often was given ample cushion and opportunity to get to the second level. Yet with those opportunities he only returned one punt for a TD in his career. The one thing I did love about him and I believe is the best quality that he has is how well he tracks the deep ball, but negative might be that he can't beat press coverage off the line. That is not just me thinking that, this is from the draftnetwork.com link you provided.

Listed 5-foot-10, 183 pounds and size is a limitation on tape. Willing blocker, but too often overwhelmed by bigger corners. Can get gripped up vs press coverage and has a hard time working free. Have not seen any examples of him winning in contested catch situations.

Through the pre-draft process I have no guys, I am only trying to narrow down who may well be strong possibilities for the Packers. After the draft is over, the players the Packers draft and the players they sign as UDFA's will be my guys.

I'm not thin skinned about the criticism. Was just pointing out that while Pauline did not think highly of him, there were others who did.

And as far as beating press coverage, that's why the draftnetwork guys profiled him as his best fit is in the slot, where he's not lined up on the LOS where press corners can get their hands on him. The slot allows him to release and then use his suddenness to beat press coverage, and he would provide that deep vertical threat down the middle of the field which would take pressure off the boundary receivers. Will be interesting to see if Gute/MLF want any WR with his body type.

Just say'in there are two sides to every eval. And it's pure speculation to say he's not high on the Packers board. Neither of us know anything about that.

I get it, you don't care for him. We're cool.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
Interesting article.............................

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/4/12/18307922/packers-slot-receiver-randall-cobb-matt-lafleur-nfl-draft-2019

That's funny Danno. I posted this same link on page 2/ reply 27 of this same thread.