December 06, 2019, 05:05:42 AM

Author Topic: slot receiver  (Read 6070 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: slot receiver
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
They can cut Davis at any time, he has done nothing since he has been here.  That creates a WR opening.

It really doesn't, he was on IR most of last season.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
OK, one more post and I'm done.

Depth Chart:
 Davante Adams.

Two good developmental players that could become good consistent #2 WRs, but when?

Two injury prone UDFA #3 WRs at their ceiling.

A talent that couldn't figure out the offense and get on the field last year.

An injury prone KR/PR that offers nothing to the offense.

A QB that clearly stated he needs a WR to consistently make plays out the slot.

A GM that said in a recent interview a slot WR will play a prominent role in the new offense.

There it is, it all adds up to us needing to spend a higher pick on a day one talent. It's disappointing to me no other posters are talking about this. The thought that every late round pick or every player that makes the roster will develop into a starter is ridiculous. If we end up 4 deep at WR, great, the last time that happened we were competing for Super Bowls.

No need to be done SET4YRS, having many different viewpoints is a good thing.

Agree with some of what you are saying, but would like to see the quotes from the QB and GM for the sake of context.

I would not be surprised to see a WR drafted at any point in the draft and I believe that I have stated that a number of times on this site, but just don't believe it is something that needs to be forced and that is the feeling I am getting from you. Am I wrong here?

What is interesting about the WR population and the WR that the Packers have been connected to the most is N'Keal Harry from Arizona State, Gutes is meeting with him again today. I t would take pick 30 or 44 to land him, so is their the chance of spending high draft capital on a WR? Possibly.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »
Just listened to Tony Pauline's April 4th podcast and he claims that the Packers have a very strong interest in Andy Isabella, but if they want him they are probably going to need to use their 2nd round pick on him. Pauline claims that both NE and AZ also like him a lot and he believes that NE would take him with one of their two 2nd round picks or AZ with the first pick in the 3rd round. Real or smokescreen?   

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:05 AM »
I would tend to look at it as real. Not only a speed burner but quick in and out of cuts as well. Would hate to use a 2nd, but he would be a true slot guy and a weapon.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 06:47:51 AM »
Isabella could be a monster from the slot and would be a welcome addition to the big picture that MLF is seeking to create in GB.
Hard for me to choose between Isabella and Mecole Hardman though. I really like Hardman’s ST’s value. He would be a real threat as a PR/KR and Slot WR.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 08:29:15 AM »
Isabella could be a monster from the slot and would be a welcome addition to the big picture that MLF is seeking to create in GB.
Hard for me to choose between Isabella and Mecole Hardman though. I really like Hardman’s ST’s value. He would be a real threat as a PR/KR and Slot WR.

Hardman could also be picked up a round or two later than Isabella, if he wasn't available at #44 or if there was a better value at a different position.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
If you are committed enough to Isabella, you could get a second round two pick at the bottom of the round. Give up the Packers 3rd round, the first 4th rounder and a 6th. That could net you KC's first pick at the bottom round 2 (they have one at #61 and another at #63).

Because they have two picks close together, the Packers 3rd rounder spreads out their picks nicely, AND gives them a 4th rounder which they don't currently possess, so the benefit exists from their side. Three picks for one is costly, but 2 x 1sts and 2 x 2nds can get your team better in a hurry. Imagine DL (or edge) / TE / FS / WR with those picks. lots of areas of need addressed, right there.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
If you are committed enough to Isabella, you could get a second round two pick at the bottom of the round. Give up the Packers 3rd round, the first 4th rounder and a 6th. That could net you KC's first pick at the bottom round 2 (they have one at #61 and another at #63).

Because they have two picks close together, the Packers 3rd rounder spreads out their picks nicely, AND gives them a 4th rounder which they don't currently possess, so the benefit exists from their side. Three picks for one is costly, but 2 x 1sts and 2 x 2nds can get your team better in a hurry. Imagine DL (or edge) / TE / FS / WR with those picks. lots of areas of need addressed, right there.

I like it in theory, BUT NE has picks 56 and 64 in the 2nd round. If they really like Isabella what keeps them from taking him at 56?

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
After the combine I wanted to jump on the bandwagon.
Seems like a late 3 early 4 value to me. Small body catchers will have problems from the slot vs NFL coverage IMHO. Let NE spend the 2 on him. Hope NE spends a 2 on him.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »

I like it in theory, BUT NE has picks 56 and 64 in the 2nd round. If they really like Isabella what keeps them from taking him at 56?

Nothing whatsoever. I was just finding a way to get a late 2nd pick, rather than looking at which specific team might take him.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »
Just listened to Tony Pauline's April 4th podcast and he claims that the Packers have a very strong interest in Andy Isabella, but if they want him they are probably going to need to use their 2nd round pick on him. Pauline claims that both NE and AZ also like him a lot and he believes that NE would take him with one of their two 2nd round picks or AZ with the first pick in the 3rd round. Real or smokescreen?
I think it's a smokescreen. Gute said they want to get bigger guys in the slot not smaller.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
I think it's a smokescreen. Gute said they want to get bigger guys in the slot not smaller.
I agree in that I think it's a smoke screen. You can get the same player cheaper and who rocked the Senior Bowl in Penny Hart.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
This something I have thought for awhile but had not seen anyone else bring it up until now.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/4/12/18307922/packers-slot-receiver-randall-cobb-matt-lafleur-nfl-draft-2019

The NFL is about matchups from week to week and I believe that on some Sunday's, Adams may well be the main slot WR.

Peter Bukowski

Verified account

@Peter_Bukowski
Follow
Follow @Peter_Bukowski

More
Last 3 "slot" receivers on Matt LaFleur's offense

Tajae Sharpe 6'2 201
Cooper Kupp 6'2 208
Mohamed Sanu 6'2 210

It's time to calibrate expectations for 2019 accordingly. Don't see a short, speedy WR and immediately think he fits for Green Bay.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »

Peter Bukowski

Verified account

@Peter_Bukowski
Follow
Follow @Peter_Bukowski

More
J'mon Moore is 6'3 207 with an agility score in the 98th percentile. That's the ideal mold for a slot receiver in the Shanahan tree offense.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »

Peter Bukowski

Verified account

@Peter_Bukowski
Follow
Follow @Peter_Bukowski

More
J'mon Moore is 6'3 207 with an agility score in the 98th percentile. That's the ideal mold for a slot receiver in the Shanahan tree offense.

This is an interesting thought, RT, and especially after reading this....................

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/03/14/green-bay-packers-jmon-moore-working-footwork-king/

It still would not surprise to see them draft a smaller body slot guy like an Isabella, Hardman, or Penny Hart just to give them an option of a certain type of player to use for certain personnel packages, and as a PR/KR.

But, I like the idea of Moore playing in the slot, especially when I've been reading so much about Tae talking about how he's excited for playing time in the slot.

https://clutchpoints.com/packers-news-davante-adams-definitely-looking-forward-to-playing-slot-receiver-at-times-in-2019/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:39:42 AM by dannobanano »