May 26, 2019, 04:42:04 PM

Author Topic: slot receiver  (Read 3652 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: slot receiver
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 07:45:53 AM »
I recalled some fans wondering about a possible move to TE for Lazard, but I do not ever remember anything from the Packers on it.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 11:29:32 AM »
When you look at the Packers roster (and include this years udfa WR), it certainly seems like they have a penchant for big/tall WR's.

Davante Adams, Trevor Davis, and Teo Redding are the three smallest WR's at 6'-1".

It's almost like they have a baskeball team for a WR corps.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
I'm reading a lot of negative press in how Green Bay blew it by not getting a WR. I'm sorry, but they did in the third round, he just happens to be a TE. I think all the receiver positions will be different under MLF and don't think the Packers need to panic because they didn't draft a 2-3rd WR for the slot.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
When you look at the Packers roster (and include this years udfa WR), it certainly seems like they have a penchant for big/tall WR's.

Davante Adams, Trevor Davis, and Teo Redding are the three smallest WR's at 6'-1".

It's almost like they have a baskeball team for a WR corps.

Since most DB's are right round 6-0/6-1 in height, having a guy with a couple of inches on the backs, that can be very helpful. A good example of this was Al Harris, a really good defender- except he couldn't handle bigger, taller WR's. So, you look for mismatches wherever you can.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Maybe the days of a Cobb type WR to play slot aren't as important to  todays O formation that ML intends to run as it was in previous years under M3

ML has said he likes to use a bunch formation. In the bunch it might cause more confusion on the DB's matching up if the "slot guy" wasn't easily recognized because of his physical size...

ML could have the same WR's on the field for continuing plays but rotate the same 3 into different roles...which again would cause confusion for the DB's
assignments.

I believe ML isn't concerned about the physical qualities of a "slot guy" when maybe he doesn't view that WR to be pigeon holed to one position …..

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
Interesting, would "bunching" perhaps work a little better with bigger guys? 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
I see a need for a very quick change of direction receiver that would give the taller DBs fits in keeping up with them. Play them in the slot or elsewhere, just have one on your roster.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
I see a need for a very quick change of direction receiver that would give the taller DBs fits in keeping up with them. Play them in the slot or elsewhere, just have one on your roster.

Agree! Need a specific body type for certain plays.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
Zach Kruse does a good job digging into the basics of what MLF is looking for with a slot WR. Worth the time to read.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/09/geronimo-allison-fits-mold-for-slot-wr-in-matt-lafleurs-offense/

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2019, 03:57:25 PM »
Thanks, RT.  That was helpful article, showing size-wise and physical measurables, Allison is comparable slots in Shanahan type teams. 

ESB should also fit in the big/large physique profile.  I'm hoping also in the "smart" profile, although whether classroom intelligence carries over at all to football-field instincts, no guarantees.