July 16, 2019, 03:14:44 AM

Author Topic: 2019 players the Packers have shown interest in  (Read 7182 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
2019 players the Packers have shown interest in
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Last year I start this thread and in review it did expose a number of players the Packers ended up with. It doesn't always interest the majority of people because often they are players they have never heard of, but for the few that are into this sort of thing I am posting it again this year.

Last year Oren Burks, J'Mon Moore and Kendall Donnerson were all draft choices that we did ferret out. Add UDFA Tim Boyle and both Gerhard de Beer and Natrell Jamerson who were added during the season and you have 6 players currently under contract from last years digging.

It is early for this process, but this is what I have found so far.

RB
Nick Brossette, LSU
Bryce Love, Stanford

TE
Noah Fant, Iowa
Irv Smith, Jr. , Alabama
Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M
Kano Dillon, Oregon
Vincent Hobbs, Texas A&M Commerce

WR
AJ Brown, Mississippi
N'Keal Harry, Arizona State
Andy Isabella, Massachusetts
Penny Hart, Georgia State
Cody Thompson, Toledo
Alex Wesley, Northern Colorado

OL
Jawaan Taylor, Florida
Max Scharping, Northern Illinois
Oli Udoh, Elon
Dalton Risner, Kansas State
John Keenoy, Western Michigan
Nathan Jacobson, UNLV
Nick Natour, SMU

EDGE
Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
Jachai Polite, Florida

DL
Quinnen Williams, Alabama
Daylon Mack, Texas A&M
Ed Oliver, Houston
Renell Wren, Arizona State
PJ Johnson, Arizona

CB
Blace Brown, Troy
Blessuan Austin, Rutgers
Tim Harris, Virginia
Jordan Brown, South Dakota State

S
Lukas Denis, Boston College
Mark McLaurin, Mississippi State
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:16:00 PM by RT »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: 2019 players the Packers have shown interest in
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
The Packers were one of a small group of teams at the New Mexico State pro day and since LB Terrill Hanks is the only player with a remote chance of being on a NFL roster come training camp, I would guess that would be the reason for being there. But I have searched every social media platform and can find no word of contact with him from the Packers. He is a player that is probably worth keeping an eye on though. Very productive college player, probably gets drafted in that 4-5 round range, the area where the Packers have historically drafted off the ball LB's.

In digging, I come across a quote from a local guy breaking down film for the Jets and his comment after watching Hanks was that 'he just shot to the top of Rex Ryan's board'. Meaningless comment, but if Ryan would really love him, does that mean that Pettine would also? I know that is a major league reach, so their is no need to kill me over the connection. Just found it a little ironic is all.   

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
Thanks for your work on this.  What exactly do you mean by " show interest"?    Thanks again

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
Thanks for your work on this.  What exactly do you mean by " show interest"?    Thanks again

Official meeting, unofficial meeting, team takes to dinner, one-on-one time at pro day.

Example would be like the Virginia pro day on the 28th and Tony Pauline's report of the Packers interest in CB Tim Harris.

Cornerback Tim Harris, who performed well during Shrine Game practices, put up some incredible testing marks.
Harris measured 6016 and 197 pounds and hit 39 inches in the vertical and 11-foot-7 in the broad. His times in the 40 ranged from the high 4.3s to the low 4.4s.

After those comments, Pauline noted that Harris met one-on-one with the Green Bay Packers. The Packers have reps at most pro days, but the 'show interest' is only noted if the Packers can be tied to one-on-one time with a prospect. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »
The Packers were at the SMU pro day, which was noted with the contact of Nick Natour. But the Packers main reason for being there may have been OL Chad Pursley. Pursley's short area testing was very good (4.59 short shuttle and 7.44 in the 3-cone) and his movement skills might be a very good fit in the Packers blocking scheme. Also fits the Packers profile of college LT who could end up playing any position on the OL.   

Pursley is probably going to go undrafted, but I believe he would be a good get as a UDFA for the Packers.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:51:48 PM by RT »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:20:33 PM »

Christian Boutwell

@byCBoutwell

Follow @byCBoutwell

More
It is Pro Day at Arkansas State.

All of the familiar faces are here.

As are representatives from the Broncos, Titans, Lions, Rams, Patriots, Falcons, Raiders, Packers and a few others.

The Packers were rep'd at Arkansas State and my best guess would be another OL prospect and to a lesser degree possibly the QB. Offensive lineman Lanard Bonner (6'4/ 315) played in the east-west shrine game, so he is on teams radar already. QB Justice Hansen is lightly regarded by us pretenders, but may have a shot as a 4th arm and camp body on somebody's 90 man roster.

Have found nothing of where the Packers talked one-on-one with anyone, but they were there kicking tires. 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
Here's a good piece on the Iowa Pro Day. Easley had some good times and is slated for a slot receiver.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2019/03/25/iowa-football-amani-hooker-anthony-nelson-await-nfl-draft-fate-hawkeye-pro-day/3266935002/

Not sure if the Pack is interested an any but they should be. (sorry if in wrong thread)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:56:05 PM by Fargofootball »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 07:14:29 PM »
Here's a good piece on the Iowa Pro Day. Easley had some good times and is slated for a slot receiver.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2019/03/25/iowa-football-amani-hooker-anthony-nelson-await-nfl-draft-fate-hawkeye-pro-day/3266935002/

Not sure if the Pack is interested an any but they should be. (sorry if in wrong thread)

Thanks for adding on, all good stuff.

That is an unbelievable short shuttle by Easley, he is a player I had never even given any thought to. Might be a excellent UDFA pick up for the Packers and give him a go as a slot WR. Another Iowa player that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle is Parker Heese, early on I thought he was an NFL player for sure and he is basically fallen off the map. Another one I would love for the Packers to add as a UDFA. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:29:27 AM »

Christian Boutwell

@byCBoutwell

Follow @byCBoutwell

More
It is Pro Day at Arkansas State.

All of the familiar faces are here.

As are representatives from the Broncos, Titans, Lions, Rams, Patriots, Falcons, Raiders, Packers and a few others.

The Packers were rep'd at Arkansas State and my best guess would be another OL prospect and to a lesser degree possibly the QB. Offensive lineman Lanard Bonner (6'4/ 315) played in the east-west shrine game, so he is on teams radar already. QB Justice Hansen is lightly regarded by us pretenders, but may have a shot as a 4th arm and camp body on somebody's 90 man roster.

Have found nothing of where the Packers talked one-on-one with anyone, but they were there kicking tires.

In watching a PFF Draft podcast last night about draft sleepers, they brought up EDGE Ronheen Bingham of Arkansas State. He is the player with the highest percentage of pressures per pass rush last season in college football. He was hurt in their last game of the season and I did not see any workout numbers for him, but he also could be one of the main reasons for the Packers being there. A name worth watch anyways.

Steve Palazzolo

Verified account

@PFF_Steve
Follow
Follow @PFF_Steve

More
Highest win percentage among edge defenders in college football over the last two years:

Ronheen Bingham, Arkansas State 28.0%

Nick Bosa, Ohio State 27.7%

Found where several other teams had visits with him (Titans took him to dinner on pro day), but nothing as of yet from the Packers. 

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
Good stuff RT. Keep it coming.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
Sternberger is apparently highly thought of by at least some pundits:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/interest-continuing-to-grow-between-packers-sternberger-737

However, the Packers also showed a lot of interest in TE Vernon Davis, going so far as apparently telling him he would be their pick if he was there when they were dafting. It turned out to be a smokescreen.They instead drafted AJ Hawk with their #5 (Vernon went #6 to the 49ers). So, is the interest in Sternberger real, or another smokescreen? 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »

Greg Auman

Verified account

@gregauman
Follow
Follow @gregauman

More
Former CCC and Boston College receiver Jeff Smith has added a third team for a top-30 visit -- he'll go to the Packers this week as well.

This is a recruitment visit for a potential UDFA.

Smith went to Boston College as a QB, after playing QB in 9 games with limited success as a freshman he was switched to WR his last 3 seasons. Measured 6'1"/191, ran a 4.36/40 to go with 4.06 short shuttle and 6.87 3-cone, 36.5 vertical. Tests as a top 13% of all WR's athletically, but production at BC was not eye popping. A possible late bloomer who might be a natural slot receiver.     

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL
Follow
Follow @AaronWilson_NFL

More
Washington OT and potential first-rounder Kaleb McGary in heavy demand. He has private meetings-workouts and visits with Eagles, Bills, Saints, Falcons, Chargers, Colts, Cardinals, Panthers, Jaguars, Patriots, Green Bay, Redskins, Giants and Vikings, per a source. Pro Day today.

Danno brought McGary up earlier in the process (pre-combine), tested better than I expected athletically and is a Packers match for OL types. Would not be surprised if he is play at 44 for the Packers.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
The Packers were at this pro day and I have been trying to connect the dots to this TE, no direct contact found as of yet. But it seems like every year that the Packers have interest in the Western Kentucky TE. Another one worth keeping an eye on.

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL
Follow
Follow @AaronWilson_NFL

More
Western Kentucky tight end Mik'Quan Deane with an impressive Pro Day: 6-3, 239, 4.46 40 time, 10-2 broad jump, 34 1/2 vertical, 19 reps, 1.59 10-yard split, 2.72 20-yard split. "Great day for this guy," an NFL scout. "Opened eyes," Another scout compared him to  Charles Clay

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
Sternberger is apparently highly thought of by at least some pundits:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/interest-continuing-to-grow-between-packers-sternberger-737

However, the Packers also showed a lot of interest in TE Vernon Davis, going so far as apparently telling him he would be their pick if he was there when they were dafting. It turned out to be a smokescreen.They instead drafted AJ Hawk with their #5 (Vernon went #6 to the 49ers). So, is the interest in Sternberger real, or another smokescreen?

No one will ever know if this one is a red herring or not. Some are, but no one is going to show their cards and say who is and who isn't even after the fact. Last year the Packers had Tremaine Edmunds, Mike Hughes, Derwin James, Kolton Miller, Vita Vea, Dante Pettis, Conner Williams and Donte Jackson who were all 1st or 2nd round picks in for a visit. Were they all a smokescreen or was it just a case where they didn't fall in the right order of the draft for the Packers? The truth is probably both, some are used to mislead and other not so much. By doing both the Packers can continue to do business out in the open with other teams still not knowing for sure the Packers level of interest.