June 26, 2019, 05:58:49 AM

Author Topic: Who should the Packers draft in the First Round?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Who should the Packers draft in the First Round?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
GM and others, I like your thought process.  We have to be in a position to build a defense that can win without Rodgers on the field.  I like your choices of Oliver, White or Sweat and I am hoping one of those three drop to us.  Pick #2 in the 1st rd, if a stud OL is there I'm good.  Not opposed to a TE, but you can get one in Rds 3-5.  One that can block to help the run game, and one who can go in the middle and attack it!  Not opposed to drafting another edge guy like Jeff Simmons. 

If the raiders, bucs or giants want to trade and Allen is dropping or Bosa, I'm moving up for the right price (4 and a 6 this year and next years 2).  I'm not giving up anything more.  If those three are gone, I would consider moving down for the right offer.  Might be a team wanting a QB that hasn't drafted yet.  Contrary to popular belief on this board, neither of the two iowa TE's are worth a #12 pick!!!  They are not Jason Witten, Jermicheal Finley, etc.  They played against small weak DB's in the Big ten this year!!!!!

I would also consider an offer to the Cardinals for Josh Rosen, give them Kizer and next years 2nd rd pick, that is if we don't trade it to move up in this years draft!  Some might think I'm nuts.  13 pins and two metal plates give you an 80% QB from what you used to have.  How many more balls can you tolerate being thrown out of bounds? He got a banged up knee last year.  What's next? How can you pass all the time when you have an rb averaging 6 yds a carry?  We need a above average backup and perhaps we can pull off another QB steal and Rosen becomes our starter in a few years.  I'm saying there are no guarantees Aaron survives the season!  Would you rather have Kizer as your backup and lose every game or have Rosen and have a chance at winning every game with a new defense?  Watch his game against Seattle last year in which AZ won.  They had no weapons and no OL and he was getting killed.  That would be a splash!!!!

Other picks would be LBS (we have zero talent at that position).  TE's (kid from A&M or Kentucky, both are very similar!!) and better than the Iowa TE's!!  Need a couple of OL, I like Big ten OL (jordan from OSU or McGovern from Penn State.  Plenty of WR's in rds. 3-5!

I think we really need to address the OT position and I hope they do early.  I have concerns about Bulaga's longevity and the thought of Kahlil Mack over the next 4 years as we struggle to find a capable OT after Bulaga goes.  Need to get that process started in this draft.   I like Rosen a lot, but I would be surprised if Gute gave up on Kizer.   I think he really likes him.           

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Has it entered peoples minds that the starting RT in 2020 might be Billy Turner? They didn't give him an 11M cash payout in 2019 because they think he sports a cool man bun. RG in 2019, RT in 2020? Maybe. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
Turner was cut by Miami, picked up by Baltimore and cut 3 days later.  He went to Denver who tried to resign him this offseason but ended up letting him go elsewhere.  It would be great if he found a home at RG or RT.           

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
Turner was cut by Miami, picked up by Baltimore and cut 3 days later.  He went to Denver who tried to resign him this offseason but ended up letting him go elsewhere.  It would be great if he found a home at RG or RT.           

Sometimes a player is a late bloomer. At least that is what we can hope for, because if he can't solidify the RG position, or at minimum be a solid swing player, filling in where necessary, then the team is back to where they were last year. And that wouldn't be good.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »
If Turner is anything but a starter somewhere on the OL it will be a major fail by the front office. No team pays an OLineman 11M in their first year to be a swing player on the line. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »
Since more than likely only one of these players will be around at #12, I would say whomever is left of Devin White, Devin Bush, Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Clellin Ferral.

At #30 I wouldnt mind DK Metcalf if he slides. Analysts have pointed out that he had a great combine, but he never had a super season in college that wowed you. He can clearly take the top off of a defense and has very high potential, but he isnt an instant star. Because of that, he may fall to the end of the round.
In a joint mock draft Kiper and McShay today mocked Metcalf to Green Bay at 12.  I still dont think it will happen, but it certainly raised my eyebrow.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:41:24 PM by The GM »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
GM and others, I like your thought process.  We have to be in a position to build a defense that can win without Rodgers on the field.  I like your choices of Oliver, White or Sweat and I am hoping one of those three drop to us.  Pick #2 in the 1st rd, if a stud OL is there I'm good.  Not opposed to a TE, but you can get one in Rds 3-5.  One that can block to help the run game, and one who can go in the middle and attack it!  Not opposed to drafting another edge guy like Jeff Simmons. 

If the raiders, bucs or giants want to trade and Allen is dropping or Bosa, I'm moving up for the right price (4 and a 6 this year and next years 2).  I'm not giving up anything more.  If those three are gone, I would consider moving down for the right offer.  Might be a team wanting a QB that hasn't drafted yet.  Contrary to popular belief on this board, neither of the two iowa TE's are worth a #12 pick!!!  They are not Jason Witten, Jermicheal Finley, etc.  They played against small weak DB's in the Big ten this year!!!!!

I would also consider an offer to the Cardinals for Josh Rosen, give them Kizer and next years 2nd rd pick, that is if we don't trade it to move up in this years draft!  Some might think I'm nuts.  13 pins and two metal plates give you an 80% QB from what you used to have.  How many more balls can you tolerate being thrown out of bounds? He got a banged up knee last year.  What's next? How can you pass all the time when you have an rb averaging 6 yds a carry?  We need a above average backup and perhaps we can pull off another QB steal and Rosen becomes our starter in a few years.  I'm saying there are no guarantees Aaron survives the season!  Would you rather have Kizer as your backup and lose every game or have Rosen and have a chance at winning every game with a new defense?  Watch his game against Seattle last year in which AZ won.  They had no weapons and no OL and he was getting killed.  That would be a splash!!!!

Other picks would be LBS (we have zero talent at that position).  TE's (kid from A&M or Kentucky, both are very similar!!) and better than the Iowa TE's!!  Need a couple of OL, I like Big ten OL (jordan from OSU or McGovern from Penn State.  Plenty of WR's in rds. 3-5!

Think you are the only other guy to bring this up.  I'd be willing to part with our #30 to get Rosen.  Won't happen and next year's 2 won't get it done.  Your point about Aaron is valid.  He hasn't been healthy for the last 2 years in a row.  Missed significant time in 3 seasons.  We need a capable back up QB that we can win with.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
Have to be careful with some of these wrs in rd 1.  I don't see a julio Jones in this draft!  I see some guys who can help us in rds 3-5 that are better than the wrs we have on our roster and that includes the guys we drafted last year.  Why is Davis still on this roster?

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
On Turner....don't think he was signed by his play with former teams.

I think he was signed because his talent level fit  the scheme ML wants to use here in the running game..

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:05 PM »
Since more than likely only one of these players will be around at #12, I would say whomever is left of Devin White, Devin Bush, Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Clellin Ferral.

At #30 I wouldnt mind DK Metcalf if he slides. Analysts have pointed out that he had a great combine, but he never had a super season in college that wowed you. He can clearly take the top off of a defense and has very high potential, but he isnt an instant star. Because of that, he may fall to the end of the round.
In a joint mock draft Kiper and McShay today mocked Metcalf to Green Bay at 12.  I still dont think it will happen, but it certainly raised my eyebrow.

It is a long mock season and those two are just trying to create a buzz and increase clicks. I doubt that Metcalf even has a first round grade on the Packers board, he might not be on their board at all with his medical history.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:18 PM »

It is a long mock season and those two are just trying to create a buzz and increase clicks. I doubt that Metcalf even has a first round grade on the Packers board, he might not be on their board at all with his medical history.

I agree, I wouldnt taken him at 12, but his raw physical gifts make him a consideration at 30. If you trust your head coach, offensive coordinator, and receivers coach to develop him, why not?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
The why not would be because the 30th pick is very valuable and we see this scenario just about every draft season. Players that were average in college put up crazy workout numbers and everyone wants to go the why not route. In Metcalf's career at Mississippi he had 67 catches, not in one season but his career. Has anyone mentioned that his season ended last year after 7 games because of a broken bone in his neck.

Some team will bite, they do every year.

Metcalf - 4.33/40 , 3-cone 7.38 , short shuttle 4.50. The 40 time is the least important of all those numbers in historical comparisons for success as a WR in the NFL, the other two times are poor.

To compare, going back to 2015 gives us enough time to see the end results of some of the other workout warriors.

Breshad Perriman -  4.26/40 , 6.99 , 4.00. Drafted 26th in the 1st round, is with his 3rd team now and has 59 career catches.

Kevin White - 4.35/40 , 6.92 , 4.14. Drafted 7th in the 1st round, injuries have hurt him, but has produced 25 catches and zero TD's in 4 NFL seasons.

Chris Conley - 4.35/40 , 7.06 , 4.30. Drafted in the 3rd round and has 104 catches in 4 seasons.

All big and very fast WR's who were drafted more on their workouts than on their college production.

If a team is going to take a why not approach on a player who works out better than he plays, later in the draft would probably make more sense.

One more comparison for the road now that we have their history to fall back on. How about a former Packers draft pick, measuring 6'3" and 220 pounds

Jeff Janis - 4.37/40 , 6.64 , 3.98 . Damn that guy should of been a first round pick with those numbers.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »

Jeff Janis - 4.37/40 , 6.64 , 3.98 . Damn that guy should of been a first round pick with those numbers.

Was thinking the same thing when I saw Metcalf's numbers a few weeks ago.  Metcalf is going to be a "glorified Jeff Janis".  He can run a fly or post and run by people, but getting in and out of cuts will be a problem for him.  There are teams that can use a player like that, I'm just not sure GB is one of them.   I think GB looks for guys who can work the field, Im just not sure Metcalf is that type of player.  Maybe in time he will be??   

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
I agree with you about workout warriors being drafted too high.  However, Kevin White had a monster last year of college.  He was certainly not drafted because of his workout.  He had 109 catches and over 1400 yards.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
I'm beginning to think that Notre Dame DT Jerry Tillery needs to be added as a 1st round possibility. At over 6'6" and 295 pounds to go along with being very athletic (SPARQ 125.1 currently scores as the 3rd most athletic DL in this years draft) and would seem to be a perfect fit in Pettine's defense. People are going to resist this thought, but he might be a real option at the 12th pick for the Packers. Early on I remember reading that he had some issues with coaching at Notre Dame and we don't have any of that type of information to know how it effects his draft status. But just on the physical stuff he belongs.   
'"