August 23, 2019, 12:53:31 PM

Author Topic: Who should the Packers draft in the First Round?  (Read 5595 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Who should the Packers draft in the First Round?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 12:19:37 AM »
The why not would be because the 30th pick is very valuable and we see this scenario just about every draft season. Players that were average in college put up crazy workout numbers and everyone wants to go the why not route. In Metcalf's career at Mississippi he had 67 catches, not in one season but his career. Has anyone mentioned that his season ended last year after 7 games because of a broken bone in his neck.

Some team will bite, they do every year.

Metcalf - 4.33/40 , 3-cone 7.38 , short shuttle 4.50. The 40 time is the least important of all those numbers in historical comparisons for success as a WR in the NFL, the other two times are poor.

To compare, going back to 2015 gives us enough time to see the end results of some of the other workout warriors.

Breshad Perriman -  4.26/40 , 6.99 , 4.00. Drafted 26th in the 1st round, is with his 3rd team now and has 59 career catches.

Kevin White - 4.35/40 , 6.92 , 4.14. Drafted 7th in the 1st round, injuries have hurt him, but has produced 25 catches and zero TD's in 4 NFL seasons.

Chris Conley - 4.35/40 , 7.06 , 4.30. Drafted in the 3rd round and has 104 catches in 4 seasons.

All big and very fast WR's who were drafted more on their workouts than on their college production.

If a team is going to take a why not approach on a player who works out better than he plays, later in the draft would probably make more sense.

One more comparison for the road now that we have their history to fall back on. How about a former Packers draft pick, measuring 6'3" and 220 pounds

Jeff Janis - 4.37/40 , 6.64 , 3.98 . Damn that guy should of been a first round pick with those numbers.

That's right, never draft a guy who shows measurables. Got it. I mean, who was throwing him the ball? Anyone who was hitting other wide receivers for amazing stats?

Yes,many pressing needs, but does that mean no one with major upside can be drafted? Maybe we draft another safety to play corner, or DE to play edge, or tackle to play guard....

Lastly, I believe he has been cleared medically for everything. Everyone was fine with Kevin King being drafted with a hurry shoulder that had been hurt constantly, why not Metcalf?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 05:41:01 AM »
I don't keep up with the draft anymore, so I don't really know how board looks.

Saying that, I'd hope for an edge player & TE in the 1st round.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
Wilkins should be the pick at #12.  Hopefully one of Fant or Hock at #30 that would be just peachy.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
Looking at who MIGHT be available I would go in this order:

Oliver
Sweat
Hockenson
Gary
White
Dillard
Taylor

If Oliver is there then they better sprint to the podium and it doesn't matter who they run over in the process.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 01:25:10 PM »
Looking at who MIGHT be available I would go in this order:

Oliver
Sweat
Hockenson
Gary
White
Dillard
Taylor

If Oliver is there then they better sprint to the podium and it doesn't matter who they run over in the process.

Yep!

Oliver would be the only one I would take over Hockenson. You just don't pass up that kind of talent.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
I was initially a fan of Greedy Williams.  I now question his ability to locate the ball.  I like his size/speed combo but that won't matter much if he cannot locate the ball.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »
I would say Fant or Hockenson at this point. Packers are looking at OLBs with potential but not first rounders right now.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »
Oliver  if he drops or TJ.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 08:22:29 PM »
Let's hope for an earlier run on QB's. If there is some true top quality blue chippers will drop into the Packers laps
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »
Wilkins should be the pick at #12.  Hopefully one of Fant or Hock at #30 that would be just peachy.

Nothing wrong with that choice. I like the idea of a penetrating DL as an alternative to an Edge guy.

It isn't the only possibility though, I'm a Ferrell fan and I like Burns as well. I highly doubt Oliver drops to us, and even if he did there would be some work to do in finding the best way to use him (though I'd take him anyway, in the event that he did drop).

I also like Simmons at #30, or Tillery at either #30 or #44, if the Packers didn't go DL at #12.

#12 Seems too high for a TE, but I'd be on board for Fant or Hockenson at #30 (but I doubt that either get there). There are plenty of interesting TEs with some speed, later on as well, ones many people don't know, like Beck (4.63 40 at pro day), Oliver (4.63), Warring (4.67), Moreau (4.66), Sample (4.71), Raymond (4.73).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »
With QB Drew Lock being brought in, thing appear to be changing at 12.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »

Due  diligence  IMO,  these guys could be FA in a few years , good to get as much data on them now.  Plus, it offers some smoke to those teams who might come up and jump ahead of 12 to get a QB.  You never know though, Jones or Lock could be at the top of their board at 12 or 30?

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
Lock made Moore look like an all-pro in college. That is why the Packers drafted him. Perhaps there is more wear and tear on Rodgers than what the general public knows. He played with a broken leg last year and no one knew about it. The Packers might get two or three years out of Rodgers if this injury thing keeps on happening to him like the past few years.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »
It could be that they are looking at an eventual replacement or they could just be playing the game. Maybe they are throwing a smokescreen in the hope that they can entice someone to move up in front of them for a qb, thus causing someone they like to fall one step closer.
I would hope they would not draft a qb in the 1st. Not if it is about winning now.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »

At 12 eh, midnight. Is that when something fabulous turns into a pumpkin ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"