June 25, 2019, 10:48:24 PM

Author Topic: MM speaks.  (Read 740 times)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: MM speaks.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:46:46 AM »
I'm interested to see if he actually talks about Murphy or Rodgers in a negative way.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »
Good read. MM is a class act.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
Pelissaro on NFLC right now. Says "he won't be throwing Aaron Rodgers under the bus", that they had a much better relationship privately than showed on the field. Also, that when the Packers parted with long term players, they tried to talk to them and let them know how important they were to the team, but it was simply time to move on. Effectively, trying to part on good terms. Apparently, he doesn't feel he was treated that way, but other commentators on NFLC are saying that MM had felt stressed and getting worn out the last two seasons in particular. He might have been able to hook up with a team as HC this season, but opted to take some time away to recharge. Or maybe not. Just read this at PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/03/mike-mccarthy-hopes-to-be-coaching-in-2020/

So, he tried to land the Jets job, but lost out to Gase. And is heavily involved in trying to make himself more marketable as a coach. So, end of speculation. I'm going to wait and see what he has to say tomorrow, rather than try to analyze and characterize his mindset.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:28:59 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
As BB would say "That's yesterday's news and it's on to the Bears". 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
I was fine with what i read about MM's conversation with Demovsky.

I thought at the time that the sacking was handled badly. MM couldn't at the time even say proper goodbyes to everyone. Also, as he stated the firing was done in a cold manner. You can move on from someone in a more positive way than apparently happened when he was dismissed. i would surmise that Murphy was angry at the loss and spoke while holding that mood of dissatisfaction. Better for him to have waited until the following day when he could have done the same thing, but more sympathetically.

I have my criticisms of McCarthy (we probably all do), but he has always been committed to Green Bay, has no intention to leave Green Bay, now he is no longer HC, and was always mindful of the importance and expectations that came with his job. He was an honourable man. It WAS right to move on from him (imo), even he suggested that was so. I wish him well in his "McCarthy project" to revisit his playbook(s) in minute detail (which of course he has plenty of free time to do).

It will be interesting to see where he lands next year....................and how that team does.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 05:31:33 AM »
There's no good way to fire someone. MM needs to quiet down. He's only hurting his own value by speaking out.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »
There's no good way to fire someone. MM needs to quiet down. He's only hurting his own value by speaking out.

While that is true, there are ways to ease someone into that situation and a cold boot-out.

McCarthy 'sacked' enough players himself to know the difference between a job handled with some tact and the cold-shoulder. I repeat what I said elsewhere, Murphy would have been smarter to have slept on things and done the deed starting a new day, with a little distance between what was a horrible game and the consequent sacking. It might have made the sacking less acrimonious.

I thought all things considered, he took a fairly high road after the event.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"