June 24, 2019, 03:49:15 AM

Author Topic: Interesting Article on the Packers Fall  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Interesting Article on the Packers Fall
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:21 AM »
Quite a long read, but very eye-opening. Some of the claims in this article are what posters here have been diagnosing for the years we have struggled.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Interesting Article on the Packers Fall
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
That is an incredible piece of work by Tyler Dunne. Encourage all to take the time to read it.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »
I hope LaFleur reads it.  The freezing out of WRs only hurts this team.  If LaFleur has the balls, he'll fix that in a hurry if it happens this season. 

I wonder if McCarthy got a copy of this article early and decided to do his interview ahead of this one coming out?

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
 Good read, if that's how it was last year, wow. Lots of opinions and holes though in other parts of the story, and we probably will never hear the other side of some of the stories. Franchise QB's are supposed to block out outside drama and they are always entitled. Salary cap, a couple bad drafts, ageing players, injuries, losing games and the coaching meltdown last year were the perfect storm. Runs usually end bad when they end, just hope MLF and Gutey can get us back to competing for Super Bowls within the next couple years.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
I'm just curious as to the timing of the piece. Seems like it's at a perfect time to keep any remaining bargain FAs away, and mentally distress potential draft picks about playing for a franchise so tangled right now. Maybe if it was released after workouts or camp it would serve as a motivator if MLF has the team reeled in .
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
I particularly appreciated the part where Rodgers thinks MM had the lowest football IQ of any coach he'd ever had. That's not surprising and had always been my impression of MM.  Who can ever forget the time MM threw the challenge flag and Jordy picked it up immediately because Jordy was more aware that throwing it was a penalty than the coach was?

I do not believe there's any compelling evidence that MM was ever a difference making coach. I continue to believe that choosing MM over Sean Payton was a huge wrong turn in Packers history.
It's what it's.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »
Hmmmm, eye opening.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:55 PM »
Interesting. But lets not forget that when MM came to GB, Favre was a force unto himself, and no one thought he could be reined in. MM did it. Lets not forget that MM was part of the group that decided to part ways with Favre and make AR the new QB. What about MM working with Rodgers earlier to fix his mechanics and make him a much more effective QB? Well, this is about Packers dysfunction, so lets not go into anything positive.

What about TT and his myriad failings? But is he the guy who also decided to go with AR over Favre? Wasn't he the guy who brought in Grant in a trade with the Giants? also Pickett, Woodson, Peppers and others? Who drafted Finley and Collins, both lost with freak neck injuries in their prime? But the Packers (TT) left Sitton and Lang walk. Lang retired this year; Sitton is trying to come back from IR. So, would it have been better to keep older guys around, or take a chance on younger talent? Who wants to replace Bulaga, other than most of the posters on this board? Better to let a player go a year or two too early, rather than hang onto them and their inflated salaries too long. Did TT outstay his welcome? Absolutely. But that is not his fault. There, the blame goes to the person who kept him around, even when it wa apparent he couldn't physically handle the job duties for several seasons.

So, what about Mark Murphy? He seems to be in a tug-of-war (allegedly, and mentioned only briefly) with the business side of the franchise, where unnamed sources say that the business MIGHT begin to affect the team. RT brought this up, and I'm still not convinced the two can't get along This is not like having Snyder or Jones hovering over the team, making decisions and, at least in the case of Snyder, running the team into the ground. Also, notice that apparently Murphy can learn from his perceived mistakes. HE chose MLF, and then let AR know about it, and, allegedly then effectively told Rodgers to "deal with it". Was there an implicit "or else"? And is there even a possible "or else" possible? Unless the Jets would be willing to take on Rodgers salary and give up Darnell and something else, or another team has someone who could be interested in an instant QB upgrade, the threat is empty. Still, it seems the team is going to try to rein in Rodgers. Will MLF be able to replicate MM's feat with Favre? Stay tuned.

And as far as Rodgers not being a good teammate, the same thing was said about Favre. And Marino. And Peyton. And many others. But weren't there articles about Rodgers having teammmates to his house in GB when he first took over from Favre? Things can change, of course. As far as his on-field deficiencies, there has long been complaints about holding onto the ball too long; not trusting WR's; an apparent disconnect between QB and HC; etc. These are not new issues. So, has Rodgers become the new Favre? Except for the rumbling about retirement, absolutely. It is odd when something like that doesn't happen. Brady is the glaring exception to the rule. Bart Starr is the only other QB that strikes me as being in the Brady mold- more interested in the team winning than boosting his own ego or stats.

So, is this a "hit job" on Rodgers? It certainly isn't flattering. Is it accurate? In some ways, absolutely. We can see some things on the field. But other things, like MM trying to help out Rodgers in his personal life; Greg Jennings having problems with AR (old news), or Finley also having some bad feelings (old news), what is new? That Rodgers is overly sensitive? This is a guy who brings up a bad grade from college that he thought was unfair. No mention was made of injuries sustained, and how that could have affected the Packers chances. Nor did anyone think of asking why Brett Hundley wasn't even a decent backup to Rodgers after spending years with the "QB guru" MM?
All in all, a one-sided article that had an agenda: talk about the worst things about Rodgers, give him some credit, then add more bad things about Rodgers. This article certainly has gotten a lot of attention, making waves at the NFL Network, on sports talk radio, etc. But don't just let the length or the apparent "insider" feel of the article keep you from being skeptical.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:52:02 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 04:20:55 PM »
A lot of focus is being put on this story as it probably should.  I think this could be the best thing for Rodgers and the Packers going forward.  I think this stuff fuels Rodgers, and you are going to see something extraordinary from 12 this year.   That chip on his shoulder just got bigger, and despite a reported commitment to the running game I think he's going off this season. JMO
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:47:34 PM by The GM »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »
A lot of focus is being put on this story as it probably should.  I think this could be the best thing for Rodgers and the Packers going forward.  I think this stuff fuels Rodgers, and you are going to see something extraordinary from 12 this year.   That chip on his shoulder just got bigger, and despite a reported commitment to the running game I think he's going off this season. JMO

I think a better run game will help him go off

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 08:22:58 PM »
I particularly appreciated the part where Rodgers thinks MM had the lowest football IQ of any coach he'd ever had. That's not surprising and had always been my impression of MM.  Who can ever forget the time MM threw the challenge flag and Jordy picked it up immediately because Jordy was more aware that throwing it was a penalty than the coach was?

I do not believe there's any compelling evidence that MM was ever a difference making coach. I continue to believe that choosing MM over Sean Payton was a huge wrong turn in Packers history.

I always doubted his football IQ. I just find it hard to believe he was getting messages during team meetings.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
That was really brutal.  Rough.  Unbelievably negative.  Depressing.  Doesn't really give you much optimism.

Doesn't really inspire much hope or confidence.

I do wonder whether the nature of the story, and the way it's cast, doesn't bring out the most negative. 

"Hey, I'm doing a story on the what went wrong for the Packers and the decline of the Packers.  Would you be willing to answer a call and chat?"  "Hey, I'm doing a story on what went wrong with Rodgers and McCarthy.  If you've got any thoughts, could we visit?"  I can almost imagine a setup that just necessitates an emphasis on the negative, and just encourages the negative.

It's hard to envision Rodgers being really good going forward, at this stage in his career.  Any chance we've got, it still hinges on Rodgers being exceptional, and those odds no longer seem very good. 

Looking forward, a lot of those voices still seem to assume he can be the guy he used to be.  But man, his accuracy last year was so poor.  Hard to see anything great happening without consistent accuracy, and that seems not super likely to return.   

Hope I'm wrong.  That LaFleur has a great presence and intelligence, and that he can earn and persuade and win buy-in from #12, and that Getsy and LaFleur can somehow get something going with Rodgers mechanics so that he can throw with accuracy again.  I'd love nothing better than to have those guys all able to listen and bring out the best, and have a great time being all-in together, trusting each other, and enabling some really good plays. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »

Looking forward, a lot of those voices still seem to assume he can be the guy he used to be.  But man, his accuracy last year was so poor.  Hard to see anything great happening without consistent accuracy, and that seems not super likely to return.   

I think his accuracy was good. He may have missed more balls than usual, but he still was better on throws than most other starting QBs. He just wasnt godly like we are accustomed to. Let him heal, let him get reps, then let him accept the playcalling and take what the defense gives him. It could be special again.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »
It's all interesting insight.  We knew TT's draft prowess was less than adequate.  Last year wasn't much better.  When you have 14 picks and don't move up to get Roquan Smith.  Something is wrong.  When you draft a punter in the 5th rd. and the one currently on your roster was more than adequate, that's a head scratcher.  Again, zero LB talent!  He was our field goal kicker's holder last year.  How did that turn out!  Costs us about three games.  His first three games as a punter were atrocious!  So we still have some problems in this area of drafting.  Bigger picture for me is the head coach, asst coaches, scouts, GM all on the same pg about drafting?  It seems like a dumpster fire to me.  Only two hits are Clark and Alexander!!!!!!! Drafted and wasted alot of  picks on cornerbacks when we should be spending picks on pass rushers.  They make your cornerbacks better!!!!!  Any OL picks in the first two rds the last five years? (Spriggs). 

All teams have conflicts.. You don't think Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, etc. didn't have beefs with each other.  This is normal.  Talent evaluation has been terrible leading to the demise of this team!!!!  That's the real problem.

Offline RT

• HOF Member