June 25, 2019, 10:42:50 PM

Author Topic: What if Arizona drafts Bosa?  (Read 821 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
What if Arizona drafts Bosa?
« on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
It is April and 'April is Liar's Month' in the NFL.

If Arizona passes on Murray, who is the next team that would be interested in him? Who else wants to hook their wagon to a 5'10"/195 QB? Maybe Oakland, but I wouldn't bet on it. It takes a team with a coach to run a certain type of offense to make it work with him. Someone cutting edge, someone willing to think outside the box. The Giants and Jacksonville both seem too old school to go down that path. Next down the draft board for possible landing spots are Detroit, Denver and Cincinnati. Could one of those 3 stop the QB's freefall? I'm not buying Detroit, but I do think their would be a fair chance that Denver or Cincinnati would make that move. But lets say for a moment that GB is now on the clock and Murray has fallen in their lap. Packers have this new (claim to be) cutting edge coach, do the Packers open the door to the opportunity or do they lock their door and hide in the closet?

Arizona will probably take him and ease a lot of GM's minds that are drafting soon after, but just what if?       

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: What if Arizona drafts Bosa?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:39 PM »
RT, are you suggesting the Packers draft Murray at #12 if he falls that far? Because if that happens, expect there to be a seismic level eruption in Packer Nation. But, as a thought exercise, interesting. A "Taysom Hill" type of player in the offense? Because only if he could bulk up to say 210/215, he might be a fit, even at QB. Because Russell Wilson is 5'11" and goes 215. But at #12? On a guy who might not see the field in a meaningful way for two/three years? A lot of gamble on an unknown, who has openly flirted with playing baseball. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
Murray really isn't my cup of tea, but I am not the one who would be making that decision. But if some believe Murray is so dynamic that he is worth taking number one overall and is the future of the position, doesn't a serious conversation about what your new ideas coach can do with such a talent need to take place? Since the night that the Packers made the trade for the extra 1st round pick a year ago, I've wondered if Gutes now viewed that as a bonus pick that he could take a chance on a QB for the future. In the back of my mind I was thinking that Lock or Jones (if either of them slid to 30) or even Grier might be a surprise pick by the Packers at 30, but is it out of the question that if Murray was available at 12 that he would be too good to pass up?

This might feel like a waste of time to discuss for some, but was that not the same feeling people had in 2005?

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
Hard pass on Murray.  Too short IMO.  Really trying to buck the odds.  I'd be downright pissed. No don't see the value at least not for us. Only guy I'd even consider would be Lock.  If we wanted to groom a QB yes Grier would be a good one at #44 maybe.  Like offering up #30 for Rosen much better.  He reminds me of Rodgers.  Very heady accurate arm.  Groom him for 3 seasons and have some serious insurance in case Rodgers gets injured again.  Don't think the Pack will go this route just yet.  Think the Pack will try to build the best team they can to surround Rodgers.  If he has another down year they will probably pull the trigger in the next draft.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
Hard pass on Murray.  Too short IMO.  Really trying to buck the odds.  I'd be downright pissed. No don't see the value at least not for us. Only guy I'd even consider would be Lock.  If we wanted to groom a QB yes Grier would be a good one at #44 maybe.  Like offering up #30 for Rosen much better.  He reminds me of Rodgers.  Very heady accurate arm.  Groom him for 3 seasons and have some serious insurance in case Rodgers gets injured again.  Don't think the Pack will go this route just yet.  Think the Pack will try to build the best team they can to surround Rodgers.  If he has another down year they will probably pull the trigger in the next draft.

The thing about opportunity is you don't get to chose when it knocks on your door. It knocked on the Packers door in 2005 and TT answered the door, would Gutes do the same?

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »
Not on Murray at #12.  Lock dropping to #30 might give him pause.  Grier in the 3rd round?  Maybe.  I can't get behind a 5'10" QB just can't.  Opportunity to grab a franchise QB is trading for Rosen if he want's to go that route.  #30 would get that done.  I like Rosen better than any of the QB's in this class. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
Too much risk in picking Murray for me.  Does he have the arm to play at Lambeau in the Nov-Dec cold wind?   Is he willing to sit behind Rodgers for a few years , or does baseball creep in if he get impatient?  Im not so sure about his accuracy.  Its fairly easy to hit Marquis Brown when he outruns the CB by 7 yards in college.   

Murray and Rodgers are 2 vastly different QBs and I think the offenses required by both are different too.   Murray needs to go to a team where he can have a offense built around him and his skillset.  The Packers arent in any position with Rodgers contract to do anything but build around him.

I think Murray is going to be one of those run first guys.  He may have some early success like RGIII did or Lamar Jackson, but it doesnt bode well long term.   Is he the next Russell Wilson, or the next Johnny Manziel (short, who also had a great college career vs just one year).  I'd pass at 12 on him, too many questions.   JMO     

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »
If Murray slips to GB....Gutsy will be taking that trade call and execute it to perfection.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
Is this telling about the first overall pick? After Murray and his agent meet with Arizona last week, Murray is suddenly on a whirlwind tour of teams in the QB market.

Albert Breer

Verified account

@AlbertBreer
Follow
Follow @AlbertBreer

More
Source: Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will take a '30' visit to the Redskins next week. As @RapSheet said, he's with their NFC East rivals, the Giants, now.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »
For "what it's worth department" I have attached a Tony Pauline chat about this years draft. Two interesting comments in the blog, first the Jets want to move down. The reason I state that is if they would envision Green Bay as the partner with 2-1st. If that happened would Green Bay go after Q. Williams if still on the board or Josh Allen from KY?
Second was their discussion about Green bay going after Jonah Williams the big tackle from AL. Vic mentioned it in his blog yesterday, but probably heard it from Tony, however it is a rumor with others discussing it.
So worth listening to if you have the time.
 https://bleav.com/podcast/who-will-the-new-york-jets-target/
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »
For "what it's worth department" I have attached a Tony Pauline chat about this years draft. Two interesting comments in the blog, first the Jets want to move down. The reason I state that is if they would envision Green Bay as the partner with 2-1st. If that happened would Green Bay go after Q. Williams if still on the board or Josh Allen from KY?
Second was their discussion about Green bay going after Jonah Williams the big tackle from AL. Vic mentioned it in his blog yesterday, but probably heard it from Tony, however it is a rumor with others discussing it.
So worth listening to if you have the time.
 https://bleav.com/podcast/who-will-the-new-york-jets-target/

I did listen to that last night, good stuff as always from Tony. Trade question with the Jets and Packers I presented yesterday in the Packers draft strategy thread.