October 15, 2019, 11:26:58 AM

Author Topic: Packers returner  (Read 606 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Packers returner
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
There has been a fair amount of discussion that the Packers will/should draft a slot receiver/returner this year and maybe they will. I haven't completely ruled out Davis from winning that job, but that is probably best tackled at a later time. But I don't believe return prospects are limited to just WR's and I believe that some of the best this year are RB's. By adding a WR the Packers will probably be cutting an NFL caliber WR to make room for him, but the Packers need to add a 3rd RB regardless and if he was a top returner also, well that would save a roster spot for elsewhere. 

Ty Johnson (5-10.5/208) is one such RB that should come cheaply and checks all the Packers boxes. I believe I have watched every kick return he had at Maryland and he reminds me so much of Cordarrelle Patterson the way he tries to hit the crease at full speed. His KO return for a TD against Michigan was a thing of beauty last year. But he is not just a returner. His Soph. season he rushed for over a 1000 yards and averaged 9.1 yard a carry, yes that is correct, 9.1 yard a carry. In his career he averaged 7.6 on 348 carries. He is a homerun hitter from the backfield.

This is from his pro day write-up. After rushing for 2,129 yards and 16 total touchdowns through three seasons, injuries limited the senior running back to nine games, where he rushed for 506 yards (7.7 YPC) and three touchdowns in 2018.
On the heels of a productive Terrapins career, Johnson received an invitation to compete against some of the top talent in college football at the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Johnson was a standout for the East team, showing spectacular burst and vision through the hole, nifty footwork in close quarters and formidable contact balance throughout the week.
Though he failed to receive an invite to the NFL Combine, Johnson proved he is the fastest back in the draft at Maryland’s pro day, with scouts timing him at 4.26, 4.29, 4.32 and 4.34:

He returned punts his FR. and Soph. seasons and KO's all 4 years.

I'm not kicking the door down for him, but pointing out that there are other options besides WR's as RS's.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Packers returner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 12:06:12 PM »
RB is an option on returning kicks, but can he return punts? I don't see in his stat line that he has ever returned any punts.

Trevor Davis is in his final year of his contract and has afforded the Packers very little value as a WR, and marginal value as a punt returner because he's been hurt a lot and has had the dropsies on occasion.

I'm open to options, but a kick return only guy doesn't really ring my bell, especially with the rules restrictions they keep piling on to kick off returns.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
RB is an option on returning kicks, but can he return punts? I don't see in his stat line that he has ever returned any punts.

Trevor Davis is in his final year of his contract and has afforded the Packers very little value as a WR, and marginal value as a punt returner because he's been hurt a lot and has had the dropsies on occasion.

I'm open to options, but a kick return only guy doesn't really ring my bell, especially with the rules restrictions they keep piling on to kick off returns.

Not sure how a guy who rushed for over 2600 yards at a 7.6 YPC clip is earmarked as a 'kick return only guy'.

He was give to punt return job at the end of his freshman year and averaged 13.7 yards a return. I am assuming that with the major roll he played on offense in his soph. season, that is the reason for him being removed from returning kicks and punts that year.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

Not sure how a guy who rushed for over 2600 yards at a 7.6 YPC clip is earmarked as a 'kick return only guy'.

He was give to punt return job at the end of his freshman year and averaged 13.7 yards a return. I am assuming that with the major roll he played on offense in his soph. season, that is the reason for him being removed from returning kicks and punts that year.

I was referencing that I thought he was a kick off returner but not a put returner. I now see he returned 3 punts his frosh year and 1 his soph year. Small sample size, but he did do it.

Did some more reading on him and found that he's not thought very highly of as a receiver (29 receptions over 4 years), but I have no idea how many targets that represents, so it may be a skewed stat/opinion. But they did take him out on passing downs because he was terrible in pass pro, which should be a red flag.

However, you have to like his yd/ave production, and I would have not problem if he's on the Packers radar as a late round/udfa prospect.