April 18, 2019, 06:15:16 PM

Author Topic: The case for DK Metcalf @12 and explosive skill positions in the first round.  (Read 472 times)

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
The more I think about it the more I like it.

Scenario : Green Bay picks DK Metcalf at 12 and also drafts Noah Fant somewhere in the first round.

Aside from the injury concerns with Metcalf there is little to not like about the guy. Scary size and speed and I believe the route running and agility is overblown, fair criticism yes but does not prevent him from being a game breaker. For a comparison, Calvin Johnson did not run the 3 cone drill in his draft process because he knew he wouldn't do well at it. Metcalf is excellent out of his breaks and creating separation at the line. His is a boundary receiver with a somewhat limited route tree, but he is more than a one trick pony.

Noah Fant is a great prospect at TE. While not the tenacious blocker his teammate, Hockenson, is he is a perfectly capable, willing and effective blocker who certainly deserves praise as an all around TE. I believe he will be in strong consideration at 12 as well.

Given the likelihood of this exact situation happening I'm willing to entertain Noah Fant at 12 and someone like AJ Brown later.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Plenty of capable WRs in rds 3-5.  Metcalf only played in one season (7 games) and hurt his neck.  Not thinking he is a 1st rd risk.   

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Plenty of capable WRs in rds 3-5.  Metcalf only played in one season (7 games) and hurt his neck.  Not thinking he is a 1st rd risk.

Agree, perhaps at 30 but I doubt he'll be there.   He's going to require some work at the next level.  His agility and route running are major concerns.  He's got great wheels and tools for the fly and post routes, but the stop and go or cutting stuff will be concerning.  Think of a faster Jeff Janis, Coradelle Patterson type.  If you got some time to put into him he might be a pretty good WR in a few years.  I think hes a hit or miss type WR.  He's a tease, and I wouldnt be surprised if he's in the Pro Bowl in a few years or out of the league.     

Online claymaker

• HOF Member

Agree, perhaps at 30 but I doubt he'll be there.   He's going to require some work at the next level.  His agility and route running are major concerns.  He's got great wheels and tools for the fly and post routes, but the stop and go or cutting stuff will be concerning.  Think of a faster Jeff Janis, Coradelle Patterson type.  If you got some time to put into him he might be a pretty good WR in a few years.  I think hes a hit or miss type WR.  He's a tease, and I wouldnt be surprised if he's in the Pro Bowl in a few years or out of the league.   

I don't believe that they are major concerns, completely overblown. It's one thing to run around cones in a drill and another thing to explode out of a break, which he does and creates separation. Julio Jones isn't the best at every route and neither was Calvin Johnson. He doesn't need to run every route with precision. Watch the tape or even a highlight reel, he is special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9EAnLHj2v4 Here's a great little analysis video of him I just found. Bill Belichick's quote in it is perfect as well.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
History is against you, Claymaker. Packers like defense in round one, and have for ages.

Your one hope is that with all the changes to the Packers, that philosophy of D first has changed. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, since Gute learned from Ted, but never say never. 
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Will a team fall in love with Metcalf and take him early? I don't see any team except Buffalo, and doubt they take him because of their other needs. So it may be possible for Metcalf to be there at 30? If Green Bay has their TE already....I don't know if they go to him. His injury issues, and iffy hands don't scream 1st round pick for the Packers considering they got 3 WRs last year with one of them, ESB, being a very similar type of receiver except with better hands.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Looks like I may not be alone in thinking that Metcalf is not the answer to anyone's need at WR. This is from Albert Breer's draft notes today.

I wouldn’t want to fight D.K. Metcalf or race him, but I can’t find many teams that like him nearly enough to take him in the first round. Nor do I think there are many good options at the wide receiver position, period. We mentioned Monday how the Colts signing Devin Funchess was, in part, an acknowledgement that weren’t answers there for them in the draft, in the way of starting-level receivers, and I don’t Indianapolis is alone. A bunch of teams, in fact, could look at next year’s receiver crop (Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs and DeVonta Smith, Tennessee’s Tee Higgins, Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault), and try to find a way to kick the can down the road in 2019 like the Colts have.