June 25, 2019, 11:28:45 PM

Author Topic: Russell Wilson trade?  (Read 668 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Russell Wilson trade?
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
Wilson and his agent gave the Seahawks a April 15th deadline to come up with a long term deal. This is from Rotoworld this morning,

A source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports that the Seahawks believe Russell Wilson wants to play "elsewhere."
Wilson remains in contract talks with Seattle, but has so far been unwilling to grant the Seahawks a hometown discount. Florio suggests the six-time Pro Bowler could adopt a Kirk Cousins approach, playing under the franchise tag for multiple years in lieu of a long-term contract. Tyrann Mathieu (who, we must admit, is not a typical Rotoworld source) has further speculated that Wilson hopes to end up with the Giants. It goes without saying that Wilson would be a monumental upgrade on declining veteran Eli Manning and the Giants, who own two first-round picks this year, certainly have the draft capital to pull off a blockbuster. Wilson, who is due a $17 million base salary in 2019, has given the Seahawks an April 15 deadline for an extension.

Manning and Wilson current 1 year deals are almost mirror images of each other, so I would guess that Manning could be a throw-in on the deal, but with 2 first round picks to work with, will the Giants make an attempt to land Wilson? Something worth watching this coming week. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Russell Wilson trade?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
This may be more about his wife singing star Ciara wanting to go to NY to further her career.  Although Wilson would get much more exposure in NY too.  Reminds me of the Wayne Gretzky/Janet Jones trade to LA.  Seattle wonders if Wilson wants to play elsewhere, I wonder if Seattle wants to pay him the record setting contract he reportedly wants.  NY has to consider too, if they want that big of a contract on their books, and the mega draft deal it will take to get him vs drafting a Haskins, Lock or Jones, or trading for Rosen. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
Agree with all that GM.

IMO, I think Seattle should take the Kirk Cousins route with Wilson. He is under contract for 17M for 2019, let him play it out. Draft a QB and start grooming him for the future. I don't agree with these teams that panic and sign their QB's to new deals long before their old deal is up. IMO it was a mistake by the Packers to cave in and sign Rodgers to a new deal long before his old deal was up and I think Seattle will regret it also in the long run. Negotiate from your strengths, not your weaknesses. And Seattle (as did the Packers) really holds the top card of strength here and that is time, they really do not need to do anything.   

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
Wilson reportedly wants a % of the cap written into his contract, and says today is the last day to negotiate with him EVER.  No talks later on, sounds like he may want out or this is just a negotiating ploy.  Like RT said, they can still franchise him and get some more years out of him.  I wonder if the Giants come calling that % of the cap request disappears?  I'm not sure any team wants to tie into that, but its probably coming down the road at some point.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:52:41 AM by The GM »

Offline DigitalZugzwang

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
What kind of havoc would a % of the cap cause on managing the cap? 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
What kind of havoc would a % of the cap cause on managing the cap?

As the cap rises, which it has for the last few years, and probably into the forseeable future, the QB gets an automatic "cost of living adjustment" (COLA). Which means the team has less to spend on other players. Besides, once a COLA for QB's has been established, how long before someone like Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Julio Jones, etc., ask for the same? PFT is all for this type of agreement, so they do definitely have a bias toward this sort of deal. When Rodgers was renegotiating, they were eager to have him set that precedent. Now it's Wilson's turn. More likely to happen when Baker Mayfield (should he develop into the next franchise QB) or someone of similar stature comes due for re-signing. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:32 PM »
Sounds like guaranteed money is a sticking point in Wilson's contract negotiations.  We'll see if they can work it out.