August 17, 2019, 04:19:01 PM

Author Topic: Day 1 Live Draft Comments  (Read 3420 times)

Offline adromick

• Rookie
Re: Day 1 Live Draft Comments
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Up front, I wanted Sweat, like many others.  But why did I want Sweat?  Because I read stuff from talking heads on ESPN, NFL Network, etc.  Why was I not overly excited about Gary, because of stuff I read from said talking heads. 
My point is not a single one of us interviewed this kid nor did the due diligence the Packers did.  I remember a lot of people were not overly excited about Jaire Alexander last year, how'd that turn out? 
Let this play out.  The scouts and GMs know A LOT more than every single person on this board.  Disappointment is fine but let's keep some perspective.

That said, I really hope Fant falls to 30.

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
What I'm hopeful for...and highly doubtful will occur...is that GB fans give Gary a chance to develop over the next few seasons without riding every move he makes.    Take a few years before booing every missed play or trashing him as a draft bust after preseason game 1.    Certainly wasn't high on my wishlist but he's a Packer now and not his fault he was the pick - lot of fans seem to hold a grudge against players they didn't want and create a merciless environment for them

That's going to be a tall order since he is our highest pick since Raji, and it's a very big reach. Maybe he proves everyone wrong and shows right away, but a #12 is supposed to produce right away.

Hardly a reach...In fact, in may be somewhat a surprise he was even there at #12 according to the mocks.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »
Why not take Sweat or Burns?

Gary has always been one of those "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane types".

He just does not get the most out of his ability.  Do the Packers think their coaching will do it?

I sure hope they are correct.  Pretty high to take him, I thought he was more like a number 19 or 20.

I would not say he plays like Jane. He plays tough and causes a lot of disruption but didn't finish enough plays. That being said, I'm not excited about the pick. I'm more concerned about the injury than his production, however his production is still lacking as a top 15 pick in the draft. It's definitely a risky pick that makes you scratch your head. I believe they could have done better.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Detroit got Hockenson and Minnesota got Bradbury, two players that are great football players and both were probably high on the Packers board.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »
Simmons go's to Titans.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Surprised the OT's other than Williams are dropping this far

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
Don't be surprised if the Packers trade up to 21 with Seattle.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »

Who is worth moving up to 21 for?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »
Sweat is dropping because of the medical issue...I'm assuming. Speculating to pick #30 for the Packers, we'll need to see what's there, but I think there could be a real good OL there. Not sure of a TE there. Never a big fan of ANY player sitting out a schools' bowl game to prepare, and that's what Fant did, correct?

A couple CBs dropping to that area might be something to consider with injuries the Packers seem to have in the defensive backfield.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
Who is the target at 21??

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
Sweat is dropping because of the medical issue...I'm assuming. Speculating to pick #30 for the Packers, we'll need to see what's there, but I think there could be a real good OL there. Not sure of a TE there. Never a big fan of ANY player sitting out a schools' bowl game to prepare, and that's what Fant did, correct?

A couple CBs dropping to that area might be something to consider with injuries the Packers seem to have in the defensive backfield.

Reports are in that he does not have a medical issue.  Misdiagnosed.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2019, 07:30:24 PM »
Fant is gone 

-- personally think he would have been the better pick at 12
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:31:44 PM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »

Who is worth moving up to 21 for?

Fant, Tillery and Dillard

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
Is anyone have any information regarding this shoulder injury? Has it been taken care of or does it need to be taken care of?

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »

Reports are in that he does not have a medical issue.  Misdiagnosed.

I think the articles are saying MAY HAVE been misdiagnosed. Right? Otherwise, I would be excited to get him. Seen him play. Disruptive.