September 17, 2019, 12:11:13 PM

Author Topic: Day 1 recap and hopes for day 2  (Read 1818 times)

Offline footballdad

• Starter
Day 1 recap and hopes for day 2
« on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:43 AM »
Day one did not go anywhere near where I was hoping it would go.

Rashan Gary - Pack just signed the two guys in free agency for big money. Gary would appear to be a little better athlete but basically a clone. Why select Gary when in all likelihood, he will basically be sitting behind the Smith's? Is Gute experiencing buyer's remorse and looking for a cheaper alternative already? If a pass rusher was needed, there were better options IMO. Would have strongly considered Simmons, Tillery, Wilkins or Burns. Really hope Gary turns into a player.

Darnell Savage - Really do like the player, do not like the trade at all. Would much prefer Thornhill and the two 4th round picks. Think Savage will be really good.

Day 2 - Would like to see Gute do something to try and get a 4th round pick. Hoping we can see 2 players added today from the following group - Risner, Smith, Sternberger, Pratt, Wilson.

Not a fan of day 1 but hoping for the best.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Day 1 recap and hopes for day 2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 03:10:37 AM »
Savage was a late riser, so the Packers had their ears to the ground there. I believe Baltimore wanted Savage, which is why Green Bay moved above them to take him (and Baltimore immediately traded down then, which reinforces that idea). The cost (1st and 2 x 4ths) was heavy but the chart value was considerably in GBs favour. I'm not sure Savage was that much better than Adderley or Gardner-Johnson (both still on the board at #30) to use up 2 x 4th picks, but if you love a guy you go get him. I'll wait and see how Savage does, before throwing Gute under the bus.

Gary was a swing at the fences. It isn't often the packers draft a prospect that is mostly potential, normally they require more production. I will say that some of their safer first round picks have failed, so this is something of a departure, tendency-wise for the Packers. again you have to wait to see how this plays out. Gary could be anything from a pretty average player to a game-wrecker, only time will reveal which. I get the feeling that they looked really long and hard at Gary (because of the modest college production) before making their judgement, so I have a fair amount of hope that they made a good choice. At least they didn't take Drew Lock at #30.

One thing we are not getting with Gute as GM.................boredom

Interesting to note that Jawaan Taylor is still on the board at the end of round 1, I thought he had a chance to be the #12 pick. Bosa and Sweat were still there too, and Wilkins if the Packers hadn't liked Gary so much and still wanted a DL.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:33:16 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:40:59 AM »
Whatever we think of the picks and free agency choices, the team feels it addressed the front line and safety positions.  Clearly those positions needed to be addressed.  Now the offensive line and tight end should be the focus.  I'm hoping these will be resolved tonight.  If they are, the rest of the draft can truly be geared to the best players available.  The second round still has good offensive lineman and may allow the team to move down and obtain a fourth rounder.  The third round should have one of the three best tight ends still available.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:45:12 AM »
Well the packers obviously are emphasizing speed. Both their picks absolutely laid waste to the combine, ranking near the top in their position groups in every single test except the bench press. I would have preferred interior DL with Wilkins rather than Gary, but we will see. He unfortunately reminds me of Datone Jones. I think Savage will be an excellent player, but in a really deep draft like this one we will be missing those two 4th rounders come Saturday.

As for Day 2 tonight, I am just hoping Dalton Risner makes it to pick 44 because if he doesn’t I am not sure there are other quality OT / OG players like him that would have the ability to play right away. In the 3rd how about TE Kahale Warring?

Offline ETphonehome

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:33:15 AM »
Gary is reminiscent of Mike neal. Maybe someday well trade Savage to the browns for a backup qb

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »
At the end of the day the trade to swap first rounders for Savage cost us a 4th and HHCD.  I've got no issue with that trade, you could argue the choice (I dont) but the trade I would do again.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:40:31 AM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
A few weeks ago I kept coming back to Rashan Gary at #12. At that point though, I didn't know if Pettine was going to utilize a variety of different body types/pass rush styles or if it was going to be more like the two Smiths. We have our answer now. Although the initial reactions are mixed, I am VERY happy with the fact that Gutey is addressing the pass rush in a way that Ted Thompson had not in many years.

On the other hand, I felt really certain that we were going to move up from 30 as it always seems like the talent dries up way before then. I had bunched a lot of the Safeties (Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, etc.) as Round 2 guys, but the Packers obviously felt very strongly about Savage.

We still need some OL help, developmental DL types and a TE that can potentially start next year. GO PACK GO!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
There seems to be some discontent with the first round, but I don't share those feelings. At the start of the draft process (for me) I loved the idea of finding a movable front five piece for Pettine and Gary was that perfect piece with Ed Oliver being second. In Feb. he was the #1 player on the wish list for me, but as shoulder injury concerns leaked out over time I rationalized in my mind that he was damaged goods and was not an option at #12. Just maybe the shoulder injury news was a smokescreen? We will never know.

Gute said Pettine was all smiles about the pick and it is understandable. Gary is a player that can lineup from a 3-tech to a 9-tech and be effective all the way down the line. Like Z. Smith, that is a rare player and a perfect piece in Pettine's defense.

For the last month I have felt clairvoyant that a centerfielder type safety was the pick at 30 and I had convinced myself that player was Thornhill, but Savage was a close second to me and like the player. A true deep safety was probably the only thing missing from all the pieces that Pettine could ask for, everything is now in place for the defense. Depth will be add from here.

When the Packers were on the clock the safe pick was Wilkins, but the riverboat gambler pick was Gary. The Packers rolled the dice on greatness and from there we will just need to watch and see how in turns out.

I went into the night thinking Wilkens and Thornhill, it ended up Gary and Savage and personally I am fine with it. On to day 2.   

Offline ricky38

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
What worries me about Gary is that he is already looking at surgery. The packers don't need any more injury prone players.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
Is a surgery scheduled for Gary?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »
Is a surgery scheduled for Gary?

No, Gute and Gary both stated last night that he does not need surgery. Gary stated that if something was wrong with his shoulder that he would not have done 26 reps on the bench.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
Interesting comments on Rashan Gary and Pettine defense....

Go to 18:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhFmPap0WwM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:54:03 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »

That was really good, it was refreshing to hear somebody who really understands Pettine's scheme and not someone completely lost in the weeds. Good stuff. 

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
 If King can stay healthy this year and Burks takes a year 2 jump, this should be a special defense. Pieces are in place.

Offline Cheesemaker

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »

That was really good, it was refreshing to hear somebody who really understands Pettine's scheme and not someone completely lost in the weeds. Good stuff.

Also on that youtube clip, check out his commentary starting at about 50:05 - he likes Savage a lot