May 26, 2019, 05:10:15 PM

Author Topic: The 2019-20 Defense  (Read 1382 times)

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
The 2019-20 Defense
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
Additions on defense: Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, Rashan Gary, and Darnell Savage.

Subtractions:  Antonio Morrison, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Muhammad Wilkerson, Jake Ryan, Eddie Pleasant, Davon House, Ibraheim Campbell, Kentrell Brice, and Bashaud Breeland. 

On paper, the additions look a lot better then the subtractions.   Signing Za Smith is like having an extra 1st round draft pick.  The only subtraction that I didn't like was Bashaud Breeland.   Gary will be playing along side the Smith's, Clark, Daniels, Lowry, and Fackrell which will only make him better.  Furthermore, Gary will be coached up by two experienced NFL coaches; Defensive line, Jerry Montgomery and Outside linebackers, Mike Smith.  IMHO, the only weakness is a speed LB that can compliment Martinez and can cover TEs or RBs... hopefully, Burks can fulfill that role.  We have a great set of CBs and Safeties that can cover the field .. plus we now have better players that can get after the QB and improve on the 44 sacks that we had last season.   I am optimistic that we will improve on the 18th ranking of total net yard yielded to our opponents last season.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: The 2019-20 Defense
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
Gutey has done A LOT of good work in two offseasons. He's addressed the pass rush in a MAJOR way and added a lot of good young talent to the secondary. I like his aggressiveness in improving the roster.

I like Gary as an EDGE 3 WAY MORE than Fackrell as an EDGE 3.

I'm intrigued by Savage (he wasn't high on my list of Safeties, but hey, I'm no pro scout). If he can do some centerfield type stuff, then I'm all for him.

I haven't given up on Josh Jackson as a corner, Alexander is on the verge of being an absolute super star, and Tony Brown could eventually be a good 3rd/4th corner.

I'm very excited to see how the 2 Smiths pan out as well as Amos.

This Defense will be MUCH better this season.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:49:22 AM by WTX_Cheese »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »
Other factor is that other than the new draftees, the guys will have been in the Pettine system for a year, and Pettine will have had a year to see what they can and can't do.  Think there's a chance that he'll be better able to both utilize their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. 

A caution, of course, is that this is the National Injury League.  The corners are maybe fine.  But, King isn't healthy enough for spring OTA, sitting out.  Jaire is pretty small and was hurt a lot.  How good will the corners look if Jaire gets dinged and King is his characteristically unhealthy self?  Corner could be a HUGE problem.  (I know, it's the NFL, no team can be injury-proofed.  But given our recent consistency of injured corners, and given how King is perpetually injured and Jaire is off to a profile as an often-injured guy also, it's hard to be very confident.  The fact that we need to be talking about Tony Smith, who seems to have some decision-making problems, speaks to extreme vulnerability there.) 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
But yeah, it's fun to imagine a defense that's pretty complete.  Talent at safety.  A couple of talented corners.  Versatility across the d-front.  Some pressure potential. 

If everybody stays healthy and plays up, this could end up being a pretty strong defense without a lot of really vulnerable players. 

Agree it would be really fun if a guy like Burks showed up healthy and confident and a better decision-maker, and emerged as a useful guy.  Not confident, but it's not impossible.  Also would be pretty fun if somehow Jones emerged as a useful guy in some packages; can't imagine he's going to be a high-snaps guy, but perhaps Pettine will have a handful of packages where Jones can put his athleticism and energy to good use. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »
Other factor is that other than the new draftees, the guys will have been in the Pettine system for a year, and Pettine will have had a year to see what they can and can't do.  Think there's a chance that he'll be better able to both utilize their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. 

A caution, of course, is that this is the National Injury League.  The corners are maybe fine.  But, King isn't healthy enough for spring OTA, sitting out.  Jaire is pretty small and was hurt a lot.  How good will the corners look if Jaire gets dinged and King is his characteristically unhealthy self?  Corner could be a HUGE problem.  (I know, it's the NFL, no team can be injury-proofed.  But given our recent consistency of injured corners, and given how King is perpetually injured and Jaire is off to a profile as an often-injured guy also, it's hard to be very confident.  The fact that we need to be talking about Tony Smith, who seems to have some decision-making problems, speaks to extreme vulnerability there.)

The way the board stacks today, I would not be surprised if a CB was selected.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
Agree RT CB is the position with the most value in Rd.2  Wouldn't shock me at all.  Depending on how they view Jackson could argue for another S as well.  Same deal lots of value in RD 2

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »
The defense will be very scary verses previous years. Stopping the run won't be a wish, and as usual, RT and Scoremore are correct. CBs will be very valuable tonight. Like Bunting from Central Michigan as an example. Another safety will probably be selected before the draft is over.
Goodness if the defense can stay healthy.....they will be fun to watch.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
CBs Greedy Williams and Byron Murphy are still out there, I think someone will take Lock before we pick allowing another player to fall to us. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
CBs Greedy Williams and Byron Murphy are still out there, I think someone will take Lock before we pick allowing another player to fall to us.

Watched a video of Williams, and he came across as a real cocky jerk. Perfect for CB. He and Alexander could have a lot of fun trying to outdo each other on the field. So, because there is no other option, I'm going to trust Gute and the Packers braintrust to do the right thing.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
I think we need to switch to focusing on offense with our next two picks.

We have neglected using picks on offense in the first two days of the draft for a while now. Get Aaron some protection up front, Cole returning could be a nice bonus assuming he is in football shape, and we did sign Turner, but I think you need to find a starter for the right side, not sure if one of Madison, Spriggs, or Turner is the answer, and Bulaga assuredly won't stay healthy. Really hoping one of Taylor, Risner, Ford, or Little fall.

We haven't added an offensive playmaker in the first two days of the draft since taking Ty Montgomery in 2015, I'm not sure how the crop of WR/TE will shake out, but I'd love to add at either position, not sure we quite have a #2 WR on the roster currently, certainly a lot of potential at the position though.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
....I think we need to switch to focusing on offense with our next two picks.

We have neglected using picks on offense in the first two days of the draft for a while now. Get Aaron some protection up front, Cole returning could be a nice bonus assuming he is in football shape, and we did sign Turner, but I think you need to find a starter for the right side, not sure if one of Madison, Spriggs, or Turner is the answer, and Bulaga assuredly won't stay healthy. Really hoping one of Taylor, Risner, Ford, or Little fall.

We haven't added an offensive playmaker in the first two days of the draft since taking Ty Montgomery in 2015, I'm not sure how the crop of WR/TE will shake out, but I'd love to add at either position, not sure we quite have a #2 WR on the roster currently, certainly a lot of potential at the position though.

Jason Spriggs is the only first-contract offensive guy taken on Day-1-or-2. 

I think Rodgers and Bulaga are the only first round picks?  And Spriggs and Adams the only other Day-1-or-2 picks?

80% of the offensive personnel are 3rd-Day/UDFA guys. 

In free agency, selections 1, 2, and 3 were also defense, with Turner as their #4 contract!  :)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »
The kid from Toledo is really fast.

It will take some coaching up, but I think he can make the roster.  I recall seeing him awhile back on a highlight film.

Talk about speed.  Really good ST returner.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 03:44:55 PM »

It will take some coaching up, but I think he can make the roster.  I recall seeing him awhile back on a highlight film.

I am assuming you are talking the Packers 6th round pick Ka'dar Hollman since this is a Packers site. And if you are talking Hollman and unless he did it under an alias in his 4 seasons at Toledo, he did not return a punt or kick for a single yard in his career there. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »

I am assuming you are talking the Packers 6th round pick Ka'dar Hollman since this is a Packers site. And if you are talking Hollman and unless he did it under an alias in his 4 seasons at Toledo, he did not return a punt or kick for a single yard in his career there.

He had 1 punt return in 2016..................for zero yards.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »

He had 1 punt return in 2016..................for zero yards.

He fell on a muffed punt by the returner and was assigned the return. As I had stated, 'he did not return a punt or kick for a single yard in his career there'.