July 16, 2019, 05:18:40 PM

Author Topic: A question and random thoughts  (Read 2687 times)

Offline footballdad

• Starter
A question and random thoughts
« on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:18 AM »
My question - not knocking he pick - why Jenkins over McCoy?

Going to be tough without a 4th round pick. Not that Gute has not been doing it, but now would seem to be the time to look for athletes.

Guys I would like to see added today:

Foster Moreau TE - athletic blocking TE with some skills as a receiver.
Justin Hollins OLB - East/West Shrine game defensive MVP.
Jordan Brown CB - good size, FCS cover corner.
Bryce Love RB - coming off surgery. Would be a great part of a rotation.

ILB is a huge need. Cannot draft what is not there. Would like to see Wilson, Barton, or Burr-Kirven but all will probably go in the 4th. RT has identified several guys who are late round possibilities or UDFA. Also think there is a possibility Hollins could be converted to ILB, if not, he could be a good situational pass rusher.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: A question and random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:57:07 AM »
Why Elgton over Erik ? Well they are both super prospects. It's a while since the Packers have gone true IOL. It's like saying why do you prefer red over blue.

Elgton might be a slightly better fit for the outside zone system LaFleur uses, and I believe he is also a better (more reliable) shotgun snapper. He also has more positional versatility than Erik  having spent some time at OT G and C and the Packers place a high value on that. Erik has had the vast majority off his snaps at Center. His comp is Billy Price (drafted at 21 overall to the Bengals). Both Erik and Elgton could have been late first round picks. A really solid pick for the Packers, imo, not sexy, but good.

I was never on board with the high need you place on ILB. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a later pick there, but the investment there in the last three years  (4th, 4th, 3rd) was pretty good. Although Ryan is gone from that group, you could project Josh Jones there (and while Burks managed a quick 4.59 40 time, Jones's was a really serious 4.41). No-one is going to be a Devin (White or Bush) in the later rounds, but most years there are more serious needs for the Packers early picks.   OT, DL, CB, Edge, generally trump positions like TE or ILB.

I am on board with TE Foster Moreau as a pick, if the Packers are lucky enough to see him there in round 5. A perfect pick for the outside zone scheme of LaFleur, high quality effort as a blocker, with the demeanour to be better still, as his strength increases. He can surprise you with a catch here and there and his hands are good. Ran a 4.66 at the combine, very good broad, vert. and 20yd shuttle, big wingspan. Has the potential to be a good TE2, and enough tools that he might be better than that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:42:53 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:43 AM »
McCoy is probably a center only in the NFL and also probably will be a good one. Jenkins should be equally productive at G or C.

One telling stat on the 2 ins their 3-cone times, McCoy was a very poor 8.28 and Jenkins was 7.77. That is a huge difference for players on the IOL. The main thing that none of us know here is the man in the locker room and the Packers knew the inside of the Mississippi State locker room better than any team in the NFL. The Packers QB coach Luke Getsy was the OC there last season. I don't know if Getsy is the 'coach' that said it, but a coach there was quote at the Senior Bowl saying that Jenkins was 'the man' among the men in that locker room.

The Packers will get some good players today, their are a number of position group that are still fairly deep.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
Really like this pick, Jenkins can make line calls if needed, rarely gives up sack or has penalties.  A solid addition to the interior OL IMO.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »

Going to be tough without a 4th round pick. Not that Gute has not been doing it, but now would seem to be the time to look for athletes.

ILB is a huge need. Cannot draft what is not there. Would like to see Wilson, Barton, or Burr-Kirven but all will probably go in the 4th. RT has identified several guys who are late round possibilities or UDFA. Also think there is a possibility Hollins could be converted to ILB, if not, he could be a good situational pass rusher.

Bryce Love tore his ACL in the last game of the season as a senior for Stanford. He had been nursing other injuries that limited him to just over 700 yards rushing, and only one game over 100 yards. His junior season was spectacular. But there are now major red flags flying. Was his junior year his peak? How well will he come back from the ACL? A seventh rounder, maybe  more like an UFA.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:08 AM »
Why Elgton over Erik ? Well they are both super prospects. It's a while since the Packers have gone true IOL. It's like saying why do you prefer red over blue.

Elgton might be a slightly better fit for the outside zone system LaFleur uses, and I believe he is also a better (more reliable) shotgun snapper. He also has more positional versatility than Erik  having spent some time at OT G and C and the Packers place a high value on that. Erik has had the vast majority off his snaps at Center. His comp is Billy Price (drafted at 21 overall to the Bengals). Both Erik and Elgton could have been late first round picks. A really solid pick for the Packers, imo, not sexy, but good.

I was never on board with the high need you place on ILB. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a later pick there, but the investment there in the last three years  (4th, 4th, 3rd) was pretty good. Although Ryan is gone from that group, you could project Josh Jones there (and while Burks managed a quick 4.59 40 time, Jones's was a really serious 4.41). No-one is going to be a Devin (White or Bush) in the later rounds, but most years there are more serious needs for the Packers early picks.   OT, DL, CB, Edge, generally trump positions like TE or ILB.

I am on board with TE Foster Moreau as a pick, if the Packers are lucky enough to see him there in round 5. A perfect pick for the outside zone scheme of LaFleur, high quality effort as a blocker, with the demeanour to be better still, as his strength increases. He can surprise you with a catch here and there and his hands are good. Ran a 4.66 at the combine, very good broad, vert. and 20yd shuttle, big wingspan. Has the potential to be a good TE2, and enough tools that he might be better than that.

He would be the sixth TE on the Packers. They are likely to keep three. So, unless they think they could put him on the practice squad, or he can be a core ST player, then the pick would be better utilized elsewhere.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »

Bryce Love tore his ACL in the last game of the season as a senior for Stanford. He had been nursing other injuries that limited him to just over 700 yards rushing, and only one game over 100 yards. His junior season was spectacular. But there are now major red flags flying. Was his junior year his peak? How well will he come back from the ACL? A seventh rounder, maybe  more like an UFA.

Stanford rode Bryce Love hard the past few years.  Lots of miles and injuries on those tires.  Great college RB in his day, but those Stanford teams have some hosses up front.  Stanford running backs often have holes you can drive a truck through.  They get to the pros and do nothing.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »
 Jenkins will be a good one, thought they would be able to trade down in the 2nd and draft him, on my board at least which means little. Nice to see them draft a few players in Savage, Jenkins and Sternberger high on my wish list. If Savage has anything near the impact Jaire had last year, we're in good shape for a lot of years. It hurts not having those two 4th's and seeing this group of players about to be drafted, could have been some really solid depth players to groom for the future.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
Jenkins will be a good one, thought they would be able to trade down in the 2nd and draft him, on my board at least which means little. Nice to see them draft a few players in Savage, Jenkins and Sternberger high on my wish list. If Savage has anything near the impact Jaire had last year, we're in good shape for a lot of years. It hurts not having those two 4th's and seeing this group of players about to be drafted, could have been some really solid depth players to groom for the future.

This not me throwing a rock in your direction, but it is such a fine line with trading up. I've been listening to people complaining for years about TT not spending picks to move up, but the flip side of that is exactly what you just stated. It is painful to not have draft capital and good players are going off the board.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
 Yeah RT, it is what it is. Wasn't being negative toward trading up, just liking a lot of the players still on the board, that's all.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
New Board (child board) added this morning talking about this years Packers selection.

Projections from a few 'Draft gurus' included.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:13:54 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »
New Board (child board) added this morning talking about this years Packers selection.

Projections from a few 'Draft gurus' included.

Thanks LMG.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »

Not entirely sure why you believe ILB is a huge need. Martinez is one of the better ILBs in the NFL. Very productive and instinctual and not a total liability in coverage. Supplanting him with a rookie even an athletically gifted one like Bush or White would be difficult. Those type of coverage LBs are seldom 3 down players. While Deon Bucannon is good in coverage he is quite terrible in run defense. Can't take on blockers and only thing he can do is blitz or shoot a gap, which isn't what you want in run defense. Traditional ILBs still have a place on the field and even though you may have to sacrifice speed, you can't afford to be light in the pants either. Especially, with the move to nickel being a base defense, at least to me, you still need a guy off the ball who can bang with the big boys. In my view he's a valuable piece on defense and not someone they should be hoping to replace.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »
I feel ILB is a need because of a lack of depth and Martinez is a free agent next year. Burks is unproven and had some injury issues last season. Just looking ahead and doing the "what if"?

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »

Not entirely sure why you believe ILB is a huge need. Martinez is one of the better ILBs in the NFL. Very productive and instinctual and not a total liability in coverage. Supplanting him with a rookie even an athletically gifted one like Bush or White would be difficult. Those type of coverage LBs are seldom 3 down players. While Deon Bucannon is good in coverage he is quite terrible in run defense. Can't take on blockers and only thing he can do is blitz or shoot a gap, which isn't what you want in run defense. Traditional ILBs still have a place on the field and even though you may have to sacrifice speed, you can't afford to be light in the pants either. Especially, with the move to nickel being a base defense, at least to me, you still need a guy off the ball who can bang with the big boys. In my view he's a valuable piece on defense and not someone they should be hoping to replace.

hysterical censs2 hysterical hysterical
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."