October 18, 2019, 03:52:59 AM

Author Topic: Trade Daniels?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Trade Daniels?
« on: April 29, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
Silverstein has an interesting column suggesting it might be time for the Packers to move on from Mike Daniels, citing the following reasons.

# The Packers have a profile of what they like in the D line- length, long arms and versatility. Daniels doesn't meet any of those criteria.

# Even if he stays he will have his snaps decreased, something he won't be happy with in a contract year.

# They are unlikely to retain him this year so they should try to get something for him like they did with HHCD

# Trading him for a pick saves $ 8 million. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Trade Daniels?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
We had a similar discussion about trading Daniels, but with the addition of Graham. The biggest argument for not trading Daniels was, as noted, he is a FA next year. So, if the team can get a decent draft choice for him during the season, and if the other players in the rotation are playing well, and if no one is injured for an extended time, and if the Packers feel that Daniels is expendable, sure. But notice, there are a lot of "ifs". It would not be a matter of how high the pick, since something good is always better than nothing. BUT, if the Packers are in the hunt for a really good season, then definitely not. Because Daniels is a proven player and apparently a good locker room presence.

To try to reinforce my point about not getting rid of someone who is proven until the dust has settled, an excerpt from CheeseheadTV:

#150: Kingsley Keke, DT, Texas A&M
A strength is a strength until it's not. The Packers interior defensive line looks really good right now. Behind the two obvious stars - Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels - the Packers boast guys like Montravius Adams and Tyler Lancaster. Both Adams and Lancaster are still unproven, but have certainly showed what they're capable of. That's without even mentioning Fadol Brown, who looked pretty good in limited time last season.

But 2019 is Daniels' last year under contract, Kenny Clark is going to need a massive extension within the next couple years, and the combination of Adams/Lancaster/Brown could just as easily bust as break-out.

Keke is pretty raw, but has a pretty impressive skillset. If he can learn for a year behind Clark and Daniels before being pulled into regular duty, he could be a starter and difference-maker in 2020.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:38:16 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »
Here's an excerpt from Silverstein article:

"There just aren’t enough snaps to go around and someone is going to get cheated.
It can’t be Clark, whose trajectory is pointed toward stardom. It can’t be either of the Smiths, both of whom were paid a handsome sum to play multiple positions across the line of scrimmage, including defensive tackle in the nickel package, a spot where Daniels has seen most of his action.

Over the past two seasons, Daniels, 29, has been an active pass rusher, although he should have more than seven sacks for the number of times he has been around the quarterback. He fashions himself as someone who can be featured all over the defensive front and play regularly in the base 3-4 front, but he’s mostly a pass rusher.
His strength is his bull rush and there are too many times he gets away from it, thinking he can do anything a long-levered, quick-twitch insider rusher can do. He plays with fire in his belly, but when it comes to being a leader veterans such as Muhammad Wilkerson, Ricky Jean Francois and Quinton Dial have filled that void more than he has."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
danno, thanks for the input. But, wouldn't it be nice to have vets ready to go in case of an injury, rather than hoping someone finally "has the light go on/puts it all together"? Definitely, it seems he will be gone next year. And there is always the chance of the Packers getting a decent draft pick for Daniels once the season starts. I'm not totally against the idea; I just would rather have him around "just in case". 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:52:00 AM »
I can't see much interest as his contract runs out this year. Teams will wait to see if he is signed to a new contract, or allowed to reach FA.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
maybe it might be best to do a HaHa...some injuries during the yr could place a premium on Daniels for a DP

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »
I can't see much interest as his contract runs out this year. Teams will wait to see if he is signed to a new contract, or allowed to reach FA.
The team may view his FA as a plus as they could also be trading for a compensatory pick.  Word is that this factored into Philly trading for Jordan Howard.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »
maybe it might be best to do a HaHa...some injuries during the yr could place a premium on Daniels for a DP

Exactly my thought. If the team is seriously contending and Daniels is an integral part of the success of the defense, which could well occur in a contract year, he would be more valuable. Either to the Packers, or as a possible trade. Either way, what's the hurry? Let the situation come to you.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »

Exactly my thought. If the team is seriously contending and Daniels is an integral part of the success of the defense, which could well occur in a contract year, he would be more valuable. Either to the Packers, or as a possible trade. Either way, what's the hurry? Let the situation come to you.

I understand the logic.

But, here's a counterpoint.

If the Packers happened to have an opportunity to trade him now (or in the near future), and pass on that opportunity there is no way to predict if Daniels might have a trade market at a later date, and before the trading deadline in season. The second part to that is that he could get injured again between now and then and would then have no trade value whatsoever.

Also, all things being equal, if Gute & Co. feel that the younger guys may play as well as Daniels this season, would it be prudent to be releasing a younger player with "expected" more upside just to keep that aging veteran who is nearly 100% likely to be lost in FA in 2020? For 2020, that then becomes a net loss of two players on the DL. That's problematic for me.

Finally, expecting to get a high compensatory pick for Daniels is wishful thinking. He most likely won't be a highly sought after FA and won't command a high contract, and that potential comp pick wouldn't be awarded until 2021. Factor in that there's no guarantee that comp pick would be as decent as you might be able to negotiate in a trade now, and could be used in 2020, and you have to consider such a move at least plausible.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 10:46:38 PM »
Either thing could happen: Daniels could be traded for a 4th or 5th round pick, and then get injured. Or, he could make the team and have an impactful year. Or he could make the team and get hurt. Or a player the Packers try to stash on the PS PS is picked up by someone else and does really well elsewhere. There is a risk/reward to every scenario. I simply prefer erring on the side of keeping a known quantity, rahter than hoping an unknown quantity will suddenly do well when the real games begin. But if the Packers decide that trading Daniels is the best thing to do, fine.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »
Agree with Ricky.  Think trading Daniels is not a good idea.  He's the leader of the defense for starters.  The guys we have behind him are all very young and unproven.  Let him play his contract out and see how he finishes the season.  If he plays true to form try to re sign him if possible.  Daniels is not washed up.  He's got another 2-3 seasons of solid play left.  If another team offers him big bucks and he gets poached so be it.  Take the comp and move on. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
The team may view his FA as a plus as they could also be trading for a compensatory pick.  Word is that this factored into Philly trading for Jordan Howard.
I do not see GB trading Daniels by any means.  That would leave very little experience beyond Clark in the middle.  Furthermore, he is a leader, albeit one who's timbre may not strike the correct note with everyone.  Furthermore, it is clear that this D is predicated on big bodies up front, hence, I do not see them trading away one of those that has proven effective.  Again, like those that wanted to cut Bulaga, why create a weakness...?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »
Agree with Ricky.  Think trading Daniels is not a good idea.  He's the leader of the defense for starters.  The guys we have behind him are all very young and unproven.  Let him play his contract out and see how he finishes the season.  If he plays true to form try to re sign him if possible.  Daniels is not washed up.  He's got another 2-3 seasons of solid play left.  If another team offers him big bucks and he gets poached so be it.  Take the comp and move on.

Thanks for the support, but I don't see Daniels being re-signed. He will be on the wrong side of 30, and the team has shown they are more than willing to let players go, even extremely popular players, who they decide are expendable. So, keep Daniels around; IF another player shows he could replace him with no downside, look to trade him during the season. But, since it is a contract year, I would fully expect Daniels to find an extra gear, and exceed expectations, hoping to get a better contract with someone.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
At first blush, I didn't buy this either, and I still really don't.

But, in preseason, if the young guys show they can play quality minutes on the DL, saving $8M in cap space with the release/trade of Daniels is a legit thought.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
At first blush, I didn't buy this either, and I still really don't.

But, in preseason, if the young guys show they can play quality minutes on the DL, saving $8M in cap space with the release/trade of Daniels is a legit thought.

Does the team need the extra cap space right now? Because next year, if Daniels is not re-signed, the team clears up cap space that will be needed to re-sign Clark, for example. Again, what's the rush?