May 26, 2019, 03:59:20 PM

Author Topic: Ted Thompson HOF  (Read 344 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Ted Thompson HOF
« on: May 05, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
I watched the video of Ted accepting his HOF induction.
Easy to see the decline in his health and you can hear it in his voice. It's very sad, and I can imagine he must feel frustrated at times about what afflicts him.

I cared for my father, who had dementia, the final 4 years of his life. I see similar traits in Ted that I saw in my father, and my father would get so frustrated trying to remember names/things of a current timeline, but yet he had complete clarity of events of the past (even when he would repeat the same story 4 times while sitting at the dinner table).

I wish nothing but the best for Ted. I hope his remaining years will be peaceful/comfortable/enjoyable, and I think him for everything he has done for the Green Bay Packers Organization.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Ted Thompson HOF
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
Yeah, I saw his very short speech....I wonder what happened, but he brought the Pack another championship and came close another few times. Also good to see Dorsey and McKenzie there as well to congratulate him. Age catches all of us, TT's time has come and he made his mark. He deserves to be in the Packer's HOF.
Thanks for starting this dannobanano!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
Here is a partial list of some of TT's best draft picks: Rodgers, CMIII, Collins, Jennings, Hawk, Jordy, Raji, James Jones, Finley, Crosby, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Clark, the list goes on and on. Were there mistakes? Of course. But to get a look at TT's legacy, here is a list of all his drafts, rated by this site:  http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/every-packers-draft-ted-thompson-ranked/

Add in the FA signings of Woodson, Peppers and others, and you've got an impressive resume. Now, this is not to whitewash his failings. TT, like MM, got stuck in a rut, and seemed unable to adapt to the evolution of the NFL. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »
Thompson's legacy will follow 2 paths for many.  The guy that built the Super Bowl team or the guy whose last few drafts set this team back.  I think he belongs in the Packer HOF, the guy certainly put in his road time, and was the NFL Exec of the Year, no small task.  I do think however, they should have acted on his illness sooner.  It was pretty clear a few years back, he was slowing down, and they should have done something then. JMO.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:30:14 PM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Acting on Ted's illness sooner should not be a negative mark against Ted.

That's on Murphy and the BOD.

They were asleep at the switch.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
Acting on Ted's illness sooner should not be a negative mark against Ted.

That's on Murphy and the BOD.

They were asleep at the switch.

Agree 100%, but the drafts and depth of this team are on him. He does deserve the Packer HOF honor.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Thompson has been diagnosed with an "autonomic disorder":

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/08/former-packers-g-m-ted-thompson-diagnosed-with-autonomic-disorder/

This sounds terrible, and my deepest condolences go out to Thompson, his family and friends.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »
 Sad to hear about the health issues, the Packers HOF was well deserved. Hopefully we see him in the NFL HOF someday. What he has done throughout his career and the team results warrant it. Lots of good players drafted left off the lists recently written, even Wiki. I will always be a Ted Thompson fan, it was amazing what he did in the glory years. Those teams should have had more than one Super Bowl.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:54:16 PM by SET4YRS »