June 19, 2019, 11:46:23 AM

Author Topic: Position look: QB  (Read 1727 times)

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: QB
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
Thanks Danno.  Thinking the same thing.  Miami is a dumpster fire for sure.  Another new system Rosen will have to learn as well.  Tough situation to be put in.  If he doesn't do well there probably a 3rd/4th or player trade.  It might very well wreck him.  Guess next year is supposed to be a real good QB class so maybe that is what Gutenheimer has in mind.

Not at all comfortable with our back ups currently.  Fingers crossed Aaron doesn't get hurt this season.  Wasn't a fan of Lock.  Big arm but accuracy issues.  Can't have that in the NFL.  He may still end up being a stud but will be a work in progress.

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
I just love fans that have absolutely no patience especially with the toughest position on the field.  Perhaps everyone here is too young to remember that after two years, Rogers was panned as a wasted first round pick.  Then, I only remember him having one good game his third year, after which it seemed that the only ones that believed in him was the FO and coaching staff.  When TT went with Rogers and shipped Favre to the Jets, fans booed AR during training camp - like it was his fault.  Is Kiser the answer?  I don't know.  He is currently on his third HC, OC and QB coach, and that alone may doom him.  However, I have no doubt  that if we had brought in Rosen and he isn't immediately the second coming, that the same fans would blast Gute and call for us to go get the new "flavor of the month."  soapbox

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
I think we are forgetting about Matt H.

Its not just Brunell and Brooks.

Mr September ended up playing in three Pro Bowls, and drove the Hawks to six playoff appearances.

My real point though was that those guys offered quality depth because they were really starters, not just back ups.

What quality depth have we had behind AR?  Hundley?  Kizer?

I just don't think its smart to gamble with that position.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
I just love fans that have absolutely no patience especially with the toughest position on the field.  Perhaps everyone here is too young to remember that after two years, Rogers was panned as a wasted first round pick.  Then, I only remember him having one good game his third year, after which it seemed that the only ones that believed in him was the FO and coaching staff.  When TT went with Rogers and shipped Favre to the Jets, fans booed AR during training camp - like it was his fault.  Is Kiser the answer?  I don't know.  He is currently on his third HC, OC and QB coach, and that alone may doom him.  However, I have no doubt  that if we had brought in Rosen and he isn't immediately the second coming, that the same fans would blast Gute and call for us to go get the new "flavor of the month."  soapbox

Kizer is a turnover machine.  He has had his opportunities and he sucked.  As for Aaron none of us knew what we had until Farve went down in Dallas.  Rodgers first action and he nearly led the Packers to a win after Farve stunk up the joint.  He was prepared and it showed.  Anyone watching that game should have taken notice.  He's was real deal. 

This will be Kizer's third year assuming he even makes the team.  Football intelligence is critical.  You can have all the tools in the world if you can't read a defense forget it.  Rosen has it Kizer doesn't.  That's the way I see it.  We'll see what the season brings.   BTW Starr2 what makes you think we are all young?  You must be new to this board.  Before you start criticizing other posters maybe you should step back and read a little more.  People on this forum are not your average clueless fans.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 05:34:21 AM »
Perhaps you are correct about Kizer scoremore, but that isn't exactly true of Rodgers.

Aaron's first real action came Dec 19, 2005 against the Baltimore Ravens and he looked completely overwhelmed
 ~~ 8 of 15 for 65 yards 0 TD and 1 interception for a QB rating of 36.8   

His next came when Brett got knocked out of the New England game Nov 19, 2006, and again Aaron looked lost
 ~~ 4 of 12 for 32 yds with an improved QB rating of 42.4   

Aaron's exciting performance against Dallas that you referred to came on Nov 19, 2007 in his 3rd season.

I've never been overly excited about Kizer, if fact I was disappointed in the trade that obtained him. However, the Packers did make a rather significant trade to get him, and I think he will (and should) be given and opportunity to compete and develop if he wins that competition.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 06:53:26 AM »
Very true B that he will be given every chance to compete and win the job as a backup. As I stated in the first post on this thread he is 'still a raw and developing player' and he will be given the chance to mature. The trait that I do not like about him is how slow he is to process after the ball is snapped. As he matures and develops is this something that will speed up for him? Without a doubt, but will it be enough to be an effective QB at the NFL level. The list is very long of gifted athletes with great arm talent that played the QB position yet still failed because of the inability to process quickly enough. This is not claiming Kizer is not an intelligent person, but maybe more of a concrete thinker.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 07:25:33 AM »
Very true B that he will be given every chance to compete and win the job as a backup. As I stated in the first post on this thread he is 'still a raw and developing player' and he will be given the chance to mature. The trait that I do not like about him is how slow he is to process after the ball is snapped. As he matures and develops is this something that will speed up for him? Without a doubt, but will it be enough to be an effective QB at the NFL level. The list is very long of gifted athletes with great arm talent that played the QB position yet still failed because of the inability to process quickly enough. This is not claiming Kizer is not an intelligent person, but maybe more of a concrete thinker.

What's working against Kizer is that he will now be learning his 3rd offensive system in 3 years as an NFL QB. That's a tough job, even for a seasoned veteran, let alone a young QB still feeling his way into the NFL.

Also, even his college coach (Brian Kelly) said Kizer should have stayed, at least, another year in school rather than declaring early for the draft. Most people have forgotten that Kizer declared for that draft as a 3rd year sophomore at Notre Dame.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797133/article/brian-kelly-deshone-kizer-should-have-stayed-in-school

[Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly isn't any more sure about DeShone Kizer's readiness for the NFL than some of Kizer's critics.
The coach made it clear Monday that he sees his former quarterback as a developmental pro prospect, even though he's considered a possible first-round draft choice, telling Sirius XM Radio that Kizer still has quite a bit of needed growth ahead of him.
"Well, he still should be in college. The circumstances are such that you have to make business decisions and he felt like it was in his best interest," Kelly said. "I'm going to support him and his decision. But the reality of it is he needs more football, he needs more time to grow in so many areas. Not just on the field, but off the field."]

After all MLF has history with Kizer.

https://www.packers.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-matt-lafleur

[After his four seasons in Washington, LaFleur spent a year coaching quarterbacks at the University of Notre Dame in 2014. It just so happens his one season in South Bend coincided with current Packers quarterback DeShone Kizer’s redshirt freshman season.]

So if MLF thinks there's enough talent in Kizer to give him a fair shot in his offense, you have to respect what he see's, rather than what we think we see.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
What I see is not a professional opinion and what the Packers front office and coaching staff see's is. It why I watch the Packers actions and attempt to read from there on all their moves and not get overly invested in my opinion. I share what I see, but if the Packers chose to put their faith in Kizer, I will attempt to see what they see and not declare them wrong for not sharing my thoughts.

Gute's investment in Kizer was not much, he traded a player that they probably were going to cut if they did not find a trade partner. He saw a player with physical tools and a season of hard lessens under his belt, certainly a player worth the roll of the dice. I am not pulling against the young man, I would love to see him be a success story, just a little leery is all.   

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
I thought this was a note worth sharing from an article on Fox Sports. A little under the radar, positive quote about Tim Boyle from Rodgers.
Rodgers is in the middle of his own competition. No, not for the starting quarterback job. Rather, it’s competing with fellow quarterbacks DeShone Kizer, Tim Boyle and rookie Manny Wilkins in learning LaFleur’s offense.

“Tim’s been kicking my butt a little bit with some of the formation tests, so I’ve had to do some extra studying to get on top of a few of those,” Rodgers said.

“It’s reps. It doesn’t matter what offense you’re in, whether it’s a new offense or an offense you’re second or third year in, it’s all about reps and getting more reps with the plays. I’m a rep guy. I need the reps, just like those guys do.”

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
Indeed a positive note about Boyle. It also sounds like Rodgers is having to face a little humility and shake off some potential complacency that may have developed by playing in the same system for so long. 

Something I see as a good thimg.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:10:29 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »
Maybe Boyle is one of those 2nd year guys who takes a big step forward.

Aaron may be finding out that change is a good thing.............especially for growing as a player.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:17 AM »
It is way to early to make any strong judgements on any players yet, but just looking at the little bit that is coming out of the 3 open OTA practices it sounds like Kizer has been more consistent then Boyle. Boyle and Rodgers have thrown some INT's that have been noted by reporters, but I have not seen any reported by Kizer as of yet.

Boyle was given an attaboy by Rodgers last week for how well he understood the playbook.

The feeling I get from comments of those at the OTA's is that Kizer is off to a good start.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 07:48:29 AM »
Would be nice if both Kizer and Boyle come along well and merit keeping. 

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
I'll put this here, seems like a fit for QB transition and how long it may take the Packers offense to hit their best stride.

Geoff Schwartz

Verified account

@geoffschwartz
Follow
Follow @geoffschwartz

More
Geoff Schwartz Retweeted Michael Silver
Just as a reminder ... and this isn’t me being a “hater” because I say this for every new offense. It takes 8-10 regular season weeks for a new OC to get his offense fully running. There are exceptions but this is mostly the rule.