September 22, 2019, 11:23:52 AM

Author Topic: 2019 Preseason Game 3 vs Raiders  (Read 808 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: 2019 Preseason Game 3 vs Raiders
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
In looking at the highlights, is there really any excuse for that?

The NFL did not know the problems with the Canadian field? They didn't send up anyone in advance to check?

When you bench almost every starter, why would anyone come?  But further, how can you tell what you have?

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 05:42:27 AM »
The NFL’s experience in Mexico City went so well last year that they figured there was no need to check things out first.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have already played 5 home games on that field without any issues. Just more drama from the Packers poor upper management.

Scott Bair

Verified account

@BairNBCS
Follow
Follow @BairNBCS

More
Jon Gruden: “I’m not going to make a big deal about the field. We like the field. We thought the field was perfectly ready to roll. You’d have to ask Green Bay about that."

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
There it is!!   After almost a day everyone get to take a drink

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »

Is Gruden a hypocrite?

Gruden didn't want to make a big deal about the field....you'll have to ask Green Bay...but....

Oakland didn't play starters including quarterback Derek Carr or receiver Antonio Brown.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur decided to sit 33 players, including star quarterback Aaron Rodgers and running back Aaron Jones.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
It's not as if the NFL hasn't had this problem before. Remember the cancelled Hall of Fame game? This was supposed to be a premiere, "kick off the season" celebration that turned into a debacle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000681448/article/hall-of-fame-game-canceled-due-to-field-

Personally, I give the Packers major kudos for not letting their probable 53 candidates play under those conditions. Why risk losing a player in a meaningless game, when they're practically guaranteed a roster spot? And shame on Gruden for acting like he thought the field was fine. If so, why didn't he put any of his best players on the field?

Just read this at CheeseheadTV. It sounds like the field conditions may have caused some real problems:

Rashan Gary, Curtis Bolton and Equanimeous St. Brown all left with what appeared to be more significant injuries.  Football is a game of attrition but the Packers could suddenly find themselves quite thin at linebacker if both Bolton and Gary are out for an extended period of time.  Gary's agent tweeted that Gary was well after the game.  Bolton was using crutches and had a brace on his leg.  St. Brown was also on crutches and had a walking boot on his left ankle
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:08:21 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 06:30:14 AM »
Wasn't Bolton competing for the Burks position?

And St. Brown was probably going to be a rotational player.

This hurts.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
Wasn't Bolton competing for the Burks position?

And St. Brown was probably going to be a rotational player.

This hurts.

Bolton was indeed seen as Burks' replacement. Now apparently it's up to Summers, and dannobanano mentioned Brady Sheldon as having a good game. Problem of course is that you'e getting further and further down the list of players. Perhaps signing someone in the next week would be a good decision.

https://lombardiave.com/2019/08/23/packers-linebacker-injuries-burks-bolton/

As far as ESB goes, there is a lot of depth at WR. At worst, this will mean a delay in cutting a guy you wanted to keep around, and then trying to stash him on the PS later, when rosters are more settled. Though the problem would be if the guy showed he could play, it would become more doubtful he'd clear waivers.

This is the same problem the team faced when Burks went down. No one was happy to see that happen, but you always have to trust that the "next man up" will be able to perform well enough to not hurt the team. The exception, of course, if Rodgers. If he's hurt for an extended period, say farewell to the season.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
Don't guess that ESB was more than 5th or 6th on the usage chart anyway, so don't think he'll be missed, other than some marginal decline in ST perhaps. 

ILB, I have no idea.  I kind of imagine Pettine may often just play an extra safety instead of a second ILB, and we may just not see tons of 2-ILB sets?  Maybe you use Gary in the middle on some sets; or Fackrell; or Raven Greene? 

Not to go back and beat the dead horse, but this situation just makes Jones such a bizarre landscape.  He and some of our posters here obviously think he's really good.  But to me it seems like he's an iffy bubble-guy who should WANT to put himself into a position where he'd get snaps and playing opportunity.  So here's a deal where one of the starting safeties is going to be a rookie, and both of the backup safeties are UDFA inexperienced unproven guys, right?  Pettine often wants to play 3 safeties, so there is lots of safety opportunity.  And with unproven Burks as the coverage ILB, and now the competition behind him vanishing too, tons of coverage-ILB opportunity.  Just seems like so, so, so very much opportunity for Jones to have won snaps and playing time here.  I can't image there being an easier landscape with more opportunity for him to have competed for and won snaps.  Really strange that he thought the grass would be greener elsewhere.