August 20, 2019, 01:11:00 PM

Author Topic: Position look: RB  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Position look: RB
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »
I've looked at some film, but not a lot, because I wanted to see what Dexter Williams was all about. I'm not crazy, but I think before the end of the year Dexter Williams will be a starter in the backfield. His movement skills are great and he has good balance. He's bigger than most backs but isn't slow. I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of when he ran the ball...it was Terrell Davis from the Broncos. They both have that one-cut and take off ability. They both were effective in the passing game.
You can call me crazy, but there is something about that kid and the offense they plan to run that just goes together.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
I can see that.

But IMO, his posture when he makes his cuts reminds me of Frank Gore.

Offline RT

• HOF Member

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »
Interesting take on the position by the writer.

Not sure I agree on not keeping a FB, but it depends on how other things shake out.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »

Not sure I agree on not keeping a FB, but it depends on how other things shake out.

I know, it seems the FB/HB will be essential to the new offense. Can't see how they will work it w/o a blocker in the backfield.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »

I know, it seems the FB/HB will be essential to the new offense. Can't see how they will work it w/o a blocker in the backfield.

People use the 49er's as an example and their use of the FB, but I don't believe the Titans or Rams either one carried a FB last season. The Titans had an H-Back on the roster to line up in the backfield, but no true FB. Looking at the Redskins roster and do not see a FB there either.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Thanks a lot, RT.  That's what I'd thought, too, that I hadn't recalled seeing FB play on most of those teams; but sounds like you've thought and checked that out more thoroughly.   Appreciate the info.     

Obviously each coach will use and choose personnel differently from other coaches within the tree.  But your research does not seem to necessitate the presumption that MLF will use a FB in a lot of the offensive snaps.  If at all.  I'm sure it depends on the specific individuals available; so perhaps many of the other coaches haven't had a talent like Vitale available, and would have kept him and used him heavily if they had, who knows? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
Thanks a lot, RT.  That's what I'd thought, too, that I hadn't recalled seeing FB play on most of those teams; but sounds like you've thought and checked that out more thoroughly.   Appreciate the info.     

Obviously each coach will use and choose personnel differently from other coaches within the tree.  But your research does not seem to necessitate the presumption that MLF will use a FB in a lot of the offensive snaps.  If at all.  I'm sure it depends on the specific individuals available; so perhaps many of the other coaches haven't had a talent like Vitale available, and would have kept him and used him heavily if they had, who knows?

I think that should be what it comes down to, talent. A coaching staff should be flexible enough to design a game plan that maximizes the strengths of the most talented 53 players. If Vitale is one of the best 53 he makes it, if not he doesn't and his position title shouldn't matter in the decision making process.

It might be the number one thing that Belichick does that always seems to keep him one step ahead of his competition. He has spoken many times about putting players in position to do the things they do well, rather than asking them to do the things they don't do well. For years teams have been chasing the Patriot way, when all it is keeping his best players and playing to their strengths. Belichick is a chameleon and most others are far to anal and rigid in their thinking.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
Yes, yes, and yes. 

Go with talent, and figure out how to use to it's max. 

One tangent on Belicheck.  He's not only good at chameleon-ing to his own players strengths.  But he's also good at chamelioning to his opponents. Their run/pass ratio is only slight above league normal; but from one individual game to the next, those can be widely variant.     

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
A little stat for the 'Aaron Jones needs to rush the ball 20 times a game' crowd.

Warren Sharp

Verified account

Follow @SharpFootball

More
RBs with over 15 rush att. in 10+ games:

2018: 1
2017: 4
2016: 9
2015: 3
2014: 6
2013: 9
2012: 11
2011: 8
2010: 10
2009: 7
2008: 12
2007: 13
2006: 17
2005: 12
2004: 12
2003: 14
2002: 15
2001: 11
2000: 16

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 05:27:59 PM »
Hall is no slouch as a rb. Liked him before the draft. A big guy, rather run over guys verses dodging them.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »
Hall is no slouch as a rb. Liked him before the draft. A big guy, rather run over guys verses dodging them.

Agree with you Hands. Thought that Hall was one of the top RB's to go undrafted and was a priority UDFA for anyone looking to add to their backfield. A big back worth watching during training camp.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
The Packers have waived Corey Grant just 13 days after giving him a 60K signing bonus. Not a good look for Gutes and his staff.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »
Like buying a horse at auction and then selling it at the same auction the next week....people tent to shy away from any financial commitment.