August 23, 2019, 01:06:38 PM

Author Topic: Position look: FB/TE  (Read 3133 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: FB/TE
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »
Looks like Tonyan getting ready to take a big step forward.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/07/packers-seeing-flashes-in-young-te-robert-tonyan/

[Green Bay Packers tight ends coach Justin Outten admitted there was limited tape for him to view on young tight end Robert Tonyan, but he’s still seeing all the same flashes Tonyan delivered at times in 2018 during his first offseason in Green Bay.
Now, it’s about helping Tonyan put it all together.
“The video was minimal, but you got to see flashes of some things that got you excited. And then working with him this offseason, you can see those flashes coming out,” Outten said.
Tonyan, a converted college receiver and former undrafted free agent, made the 53-man roster last summer after a terrific preseason and then played in all 16 regular season games for the Packers in 2018, catching four passes for 77 yards and a score. His highlight play was a 55-yard touchdown catch on a crazy play by Aaron Rodgers in Seattle.
It’s hard to beat that for a flash play.
But Tonyan’s size, speed and flashes of receiving ability could make him a potential weapon in the passing game in 2019 and beyond. Learning how to do everything asked of a tight end is the next step.
“It’s going to be a rep thing with him,” Outten said. “Obviously, he’s still learning the tight end position as far of putting your hand in the ground and the run game part of it. The great thing about him is he’s so eager and willing and asks questions all the time and wants to be good at it. If you’re willing and able, you have a chance. He’s been really, really good at watching video and understanding the practice notes I’m sending him and asking questions.”
Tonyan spent the offseason working out with Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle, gaining size and advancing his education in the workings of the position. Classes continued in Green Bay during the offseason workout program.
Veterans Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis have been assisting Outten in developing both Tonyan and rookie Jace Sternberger, a third-round pick from Texas A&M.
“The impressive part is seeing Marcedes and Jimmy talk to the younger guys on the side at practice, in the meeting room, and they’re going to give their two cents on things that may have given them an issue earlier in their career. They’ve been really willing to help those guys,” Outten said.
Together, the four – Tonyan, Graham, Lewis and Sternberger – could form a strong tight end group, especially if Tonyan can fast-track the often difficult process of turning flashes of greatness into legitimate on-field consistency. That’s the job awaiting the Packers’ first-year tight ends coach in 2019.]

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »
Fun to read, danno.  Hope it works out. 

One thing good coaches do is use the talent they have.  We can talk about what Shanahan did, and what MLF "wants" in a TE.  But he's got what he's got, and if he's got 3 good receivers and it turns out Lewis is washed up even as a blocker, so be it.  I hope he's able to put the pass-catching abilities of Graham, tonyan, and Jace to good use this year.  And assuming Lewis is gone next year and maybe Graham too, it will be great if Tonyan and Sternberger are really good together.  If both emerge as good players, it would be nice to use draft picks in other directions next year, rather than having TE be an urgent-need spot again next draft....

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 07:14:59 AM »
One FB and another tight end that can be used as a H-back will make the roster. If your one FB gets hurt (this is Green Bay after all) you can't throw out your playbook because you don't have the right players. I don't know if that H-back is on the roster now or not. So I don't think Gutsey is even close to finishing this position. I look for him to add possible candidates regularly as possible until TC.

This is a position that does feel like it is incomplete. I agree that we will probably see a player or two added to the roster during training camp. Gute tipped his hand a little when he dropped a claim for Jordon Leggett, if he was comfortable with the group of TE's I don't believe he makes that claim attempt. A minor trade for an H-Back type would not be a surprise at all.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
One FB and another tight end that can be used as a H-back will make the roster. If your one FB gets hurt (this is Green Bay after all) you can't throw out your playbook because you don't have the right players. I don't know if that H-back is on the roster now or not. So I don't think Gutsey is even close to finishing this position. I look for him to add possible candidates regularly as possible until TC.

This is a position that does feel like it is incomplete. I agree that we will probably see a player or two added to the roster during training camp. Gute tipped his hand a little when he dropped a claim for Jordon Leggett, if he was comfortable with the group of TE's I don't believe he makes that claim attempt. A minor trade for an H-Back type would not be a surprise at all.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, either.

Current Packers RB, Malcolm Johnson (6-2/231) is a 3rd yr player out of Miss St, where he played TE. So they may view him as an H-Back type player.

Former JAX FB, Tommy Bohanon (6-1/246), who Hackett coached, is still an available free agent as well and who might fit a similar role.

Having more than one of this type of player on the roster makes a lot of sense.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky Retweeted Mike McCartney
With the signing of third-round pick Jace Sternberger; the Packers have their entire draft class signed.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
Packers have claimed former Jaguars TE Pharoah McKever off waivers. He brings the Packers roster back to 90 after TE Davis Koppenhaver retired from football at the end of May.

Now how long will it take for someone to start another thread to just announce a waiver claim for a camp body, that is the real mystery to watch now.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
6-6/260#

As you said, they are going to continue to tweak this position group.

This may continue, even into training camp.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
A little Pharoah McKever info.

- Signed last season as a UDFA by the Steelers after the draft, was cut by them and has spent time with the Browns and lately the Jaguars. The Packers will be his 4th team in the past year.

– One-year starter at FIU after transferring there from NC State.

– Career: 28 catches, 383 yards 4 TDs (27/301/3 line at FIU)

– Ran a 4.79, jumped 31.5 inches in vert, 9’11” broad, 7.26 three cone at Pro Day

– Began career as a defensive end, pulled double-duty sophomore season, two career sacks and one pick six, has one career blocked punt.

– Came to school as a WR before moving to DL before moving to TE.

Add the note that he was a teammate of Josh Jones at NC State.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:47:46 PM by RT »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »
MVS was another NC State teammate. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »
MVS was another NC State teammate.

Good catch craig. They all 3 overlap NC State in 2014.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
The Packers have claimed tight end Michael Roberts off waivers from the Detroit Lions.

Roberts might be a good pick up here, he could be the younger blocking TE they seem to be searching for. Could this be the beginning of the end for Marcedes Lewis? Of course he needs to pass his physical first.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
Dumb Q here: 
Q1:  The mechanics are, you place the claim first (as happened here), then you do the physical next? 

Q2:  How does a claim like this get publicized?  It gets placed with the league office, and they daily announce any such?  Weekly announce?  Instantly announce?  Or is it the claiming team who publicizes it? 
*The reason I'm asking is, if it depends on the team, maybe I wouldn't announce until after a guy had passed his physical?  Rather than claiming guys-released-based-on-physical-issues, reporting each claim, then releasing the "failed-his-physical" announcement as well? 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
The Packers have claimed tight end Michael Roberts off waivers from the Detroit Lions.

Roberts might be a good pick up here, he could be the younger blocking TE they seem to be searching for. Could this be the beginning of the end for Marcedes Lewis? Of course he needs to pass his physical first.

Roberts was a D+D guy who didn't develop or produce.  Then released by Detroit; failed-his-physical New England; went unclaimed by the dozen teams with rights ahead of Packers; and didn't draw more than a conditional late-7th round pick from New England in trade even prior to failing physical.  So pretty much a fringe-90 guy with health questions besides. 

Always fun to take a look at a guy, once in a while you find somebody useful that was hurt but recovered, or couldn't make somebody else's 90 but is good enough for your 53.  So I appreciate the "take a look" approach. 

But probably not very relevant to our 53-man roster speculations. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Dumb Q here: 
Q1:  The mechanics are, you place the claim first (as happened here), then you do the physical next? 

Q2:  How does a claim like this get publicized?  It gets placed with the league office, and they daily announce any such?  Weekly announce?  Instantly announce?  Or is it the claiming team who publicizes it? 
*The reason I'm asking is, if it depends on the team, maybe I wouldn't announce until after a guy had passed his physical?  Rather than claiming guys-released-based-on-physical-issues, reporting each claim, then releasing the "failed-his-physical" announcement as well?

Claim first followed by the physical, just not possible for every team interested in a player to give a physical before dropping a claim.

The NFL has a transaction log and they are the ones who first release the transaction information and that is done daily. The Packers probably will not announce the claim until after the physical is passed.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
Thanks! League having daily transaction log makes really good sense.  As does team announcement subsequent to passing a physical.