July 19, 2019, 06:52:10 PM

Author Topic: Position look: FB/TE  (Read 1994 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: FB/TE
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
Well that was fun well it lasted, the Packers waived TE Michael Roberts following a failed physical.

Back to 89 on the current roster.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
Yeah, however I find it very encouraging that they're taking serious there's search for answers at tight end. It should not be a settled position at this point. The opportunity to bring in potential talent to compete ought to be pursued whenever possible in my humble opinion.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »
I agree B. I think they will be watching the waiver wire for TE's up to, and into, camp.

Too bad on Roberts. I liked him coming out in the draft. Going to DET under the previous coaching regime didn't help his development, and, obviously, Patricia didn't feel very strongly about his development as well.

There's going to be other TE's that become available. I wouldn't be surprised to see another one brought in at some point.

Finding a combo TE  with some upside to develop could lower the draft need for that spot in next years draft.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 04:06:30 AM »
I think they will keep 4 TE's:
Graham
Lewis
Sternberger
Tonyan

1) I agree that Graham is as close to a lock at TE as there is on this team. The 2018 season did not sit well with Graham, he's said as much. I look for his effort to be much higher than last year and look for multiple ways MLF can use him to make him much more effective in 2019.
2) I also think Lewis is very likely to make this team. He is, undoubtedly, the best blocking TE that is on the team and this new offnese needs a reliable run blocking TE.
3) Being a 3rd round pick, Sternberger is all but guaranteed a spot on the 53 man roster.
4) IMO, Tonyan stays as well. He showed too much upside last year and has been extremely dedicated this off-season to becoming a much better TE. He's been working out with George Kittle (SF), and the reviews have been positive. Next year the Packers will likely move on from both Lewis and Graham. Continuing to develop Tonyan is a long term plan than makes sense, rather than keep just one TE (Sternberger) to carry into 2020. Tonyan's price tag is friendly as well.

And they will also keep 1 FB/HB:
Vitale

Vitale is an extremely versatile player that can play FB, HB, and TE (he played all those spots at Northwestern). MLF could be planning to use him in much the same manner that Shanahan uses Kyle Juszcsyk at San Fran. His strengths are his route running and he has great hands. He could line up in the backfield, in the slot, inline as a TE, and he can split out. MLF covets versatile players that can be used in multiple roles. Vitale fits that mold

I've brought up Vitale before and there seems to be a bit of a buzz about him as MLF's intentions on offense become more and more revealed.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/sky-is-the-limit-for-vitale-fullbacks-in-packers-new-offense-242

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/25/packers-fb-danny-vitale-excited-for-opportunities-in-new-offense/

https://www.packers.com/news/danny-vitale-looks-to-show-he-s-more-than-just-a-fullback

Vitale will be in a camp battle with Malcom Johnson for the FB, even though Johnson is listed as a RB. Both these players were hybrid players at their respective universities and fit the profile of what MLF looks for in a FB in his offense.

We should watch for how significant a role the FB will play in this new offense.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:53 AM »
Seems to be a wide range of opinions on Vitale.

Aaron Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler
Follow
Follow @AaronNagler

More
Aaron Nagler Retweeted Cheesehead TV

I'll actually be surprised if Vitale makes the Final 53...

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
Curious that both Nagler and Zach Johnson (who wrote one of the articles I linked) would have such opppsite views of Vitale, since they both are contributors to CheeseheadTV

It will be even more interesting to watch how this plays out now.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 08:14:18 AM »
Nice piece on Tonyan in case you misses it:

https://www.packers.com/news/robert-tonyan-continues-to-flash-potential-at-tight-end

And here is another:

Cheese Curds, 7/1: Packers are looking for big things from Robert Tonyan
Large Robert looks like someone who will be a key part of the Packers’ offense in the fall.

By Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern  Jul 1, 2019, 8:35am CDT

There’s no sure thing in the NFL, particularly for a tight end entering his second season who caught just four passes as a rookie. But Green Bay Packers tight end Robert Tonyan spent much of his time in this year’s spring practices running with the starters, a big step forward from where he was most of the season a year ago.

As primarily a special teams player in 2018, Tonyan saw just 67 snaps on offense. He did provide one great highlight — a 54-yard touchdown reception that landed in third place on our top plays countdown — but for the most part he was an afterthought in the rotation. His nice training camp, however, provided glimpses of his abilities, and this year he will be looking to impress even further.

In addition, Tonyan’s blocking will be an important factor in whether he plays more on offense. With two of the team’s other tight ends — Jimmy Graham and Jace Sternberger — suited more for a “move” tight end position, Tonyan could earn a share of the in-line snaps with veteran Marcedes Lewis by demonstrating good blocking ability.

It’s now up to him to show out when he arrives for training camp in a little over three weeks. But Big Bob has a big opportunity ahead of him.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:21:04 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
This is not going to be the same offense that we have been seeing in Green Bay since 2006.

It's going to be interesting to see what number of players they keep at WR (5?, 6?), RB (3?, 4?), FB (1?, 2?), and TE (3?, 4?).

TE's play a key role in MLF's offense, but then so do the FB's, and especially so if MLF patterns this offense more towards a Shanahan style as opposed to McVay style.

It will be very interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
This is not going to be the same offense that we have been seeing in Green Bay since 2006.
 It's going to be interesting to see what number of players they keep at WR (5?, 6?), RB (3?, 4?), FB (1?, 2?), and TE (3?, 4?).

TE's play a key role in MLF's offense, but then so do the FB's, and especially so if MLF patterns this offense more towards a Shanahan style as opposed to McVay style....

Will be very interesting.  Both to see how many players they keep at different positions.  But also just to see how the actual Packers offense, with the Packers coach and the Packers actual players, functions. 

Following the great success that Bill Walsh and the 49ers had with his West Coast offense, there were a whole lot of coaches who branched out, but no version of the offense ever looked quite like the original. 

MLF and the Packers are going to have concepts that relate to McVay and Shanahan, but MLF will have his own variations. 

I wouldn't assume that Vitale or other UDFA fullbacks the Packers have access to will either make the roster at all, or be used the way that Shanahan used his.  I'm not sure that UDFA Tonyan or slow ancient Lewis are going to be catching passes or getting used the way that Kittles or the other TE's have that Shanahan has had access to.   

Different players and abilities.  Different Offensive line, different QB, different receivers and backs.  This is going to be a different spinoff. 

A cliche is "it's the players, not the plays".  I think that's simplistic to some degree, but their is truth to it also.  Just as none of the multiple Walsh spinoffs quite recreated the 49ers original, so the MLF/Packers spinoff is going to have a different look, and a different level of efficiency. 

I'd also note that the McVay offense didn't look that hot in the Super Bowl, right?  Not sure what point to take from that.  Perhaps "it's the players" cliche, and by that point with injuries and stuff, and Goff, that offense and the scheme really weren't as good as the reputation?  But just as McVay maybe didn't have the personnel by Super-Bowl time to make his concepts work, it's at least hypothetically possible that the Packers don't either, just as the Titans didn't for MLF last season?  Perhaps also a case where Belichek had both a good defensive concept for constraining the offensive scheme, AND the personnel to execute the defensive concepts?  So I'm kind of wondering whether defenses are perhaps coming to better understand how to contain the offensive style of the  McVay/Shanahan trees?  And that as there are growing more branches off those trees, that defenses are likely to be getting increasingly able to understand and counter those concepts? 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:54 AM »

TE's play a key role in MLF's offense, but then so do the FB's, and especially so if MLF patterns this offense more towards a Shanahan style as opposed to McVay style....

Will be very interesting.  Both to see how many players they keep at different positions.  But also just to see how the actual Packers offense, with the Packers coach and the Packers actual players, functions. 

Following the great success that Bill Walsh and the 49ers had with his West Coast offense, there were a whole lot of coaches who branched out, but no version of the offense ever looked quite like the original. 

MLF and the Packers are going to have concepts that relate to McVay and Shanahan, but MLF will have his own variations. 

I wouldn't assume that Vitale or other UDFA fullbacks the Packers have access to will either make the roster at all, or be used the way that Shanahan used his.  I'm not sure that UDFA Tonyan or slow ancient Lewis are going to be catching passes or getting used the way that Kittles or the other TE's have that Shanahan has had access to.   

Different players and abilities.  Different Offensive line, different QB, different receivers and backs.  This is going to be a different spinoff. 

A cliche is "it's the players, not the plays".  I think that's simplistic to some degree, but their is truth to it also.  Just as none of the multiple Walsh spinoffs quite recreated the 49ers original, so the MLF/Packers spinoff is going to have a different look, and a different level of efficiency. 

I'd also note that the McVay offense didn't look that hot in the Super Bowl, right?  Not sure what point to take from that.  Perhaps "it's the players" cliche, and by that point with injuries and stuff, and Goff, that offense and the scheme really weren't as good as the reputation?  But just as McVay maybe didn't have the personnel by Super-Bowl time to make his concepts work, it's at least hypothetically possible that the Packers don't either, just as the Titans didn't for MLF last season?  Perhaps also a case where Belichek had both a good defensive concept for constraining the offensive scheme, AND the personnel to execute the defensive concepts?  So I'm kind of wondering whether defenses are perhaps coming to better understand how to contain the offensive style of the  McVay/Shanahan trees?  And that as there are growing more branches off those trees, that defenses are likely to be getting increasingly able to understand and counter those concepts?

I thought the SB was too big for Goff. He wasn't accurate, nor was he making any attempt at extending plays. I know McVay said he was out-coached, but in watching the game I really thought Goff wasn't ready to play. McVay may have just taken the bullet for Goff by saying he was out-coached. We will see this year if Goff comes back strong.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
Agree,  Goff didn't look good at all.  Neither did their star running back. 

And all of the plays they spent running, which didn't get much yardage or earn many first downs, didn't seem to exactly set up the pass, either. 

I don't know anything, so I hope it's different for the Packers.  That Jones is great, that Rodgers is excellent; that our o-line is great, etc.; and that we face a lot of defenses less prepared than Belichek's was. 

But just a reminder that all of the McVay/Shanahan run-game scheming, as brilliant as it may possibly be, won't really work if the players don't really execute well.