August 20, 2019, 01:55:51 PM

Author Topic: Position look: FB/TE  (Read 3090 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: FB/TE
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 04:53:39 PM »
Thanks for posting that great quote, Danno.  I had listened to the interview where Rogers made those comments and liked it, and seeing the exact wording in print it's even better.  What struck me was his observation about the blocking, that it's more "movement stuff", and that he's "great" at that.  The distinction between movement blocking and point-of-attack, I thought that is very helpful.  My simplistic take has been that Tonyan and Jace are both really interesting receiving prospects, but with their lanky frames that they don't project well as blockers.  But if Tonyan is "great" as a "movement" blocker, maybe he doesn't need to be Bubba Franks to be a functionally not-bad blocker for the Packers?  And perhaps in future the same might go for Jace, too? 

The "fantastic hands" is also encouraging.  That's invaluable, if it's actually true; and it's also really helpful if your QB sees it that way and trusts that you can catch it if he throws it decently your way? 

Of course, Rodgers is a king of hyperbole, trying to be an encouraging leader, etc..  So maybe the "fantastic" and "great" hands and movement blocking aren't quite that good.... 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
I think we have a new cult hero in GB. Whitewater Jesus is so yesterday news.

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Danny Vitale looked like a receiver — not a 239-pound fullback — on an outstretched catch down the sideline against a linebacker. He’s going to be a factor in this offense.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
– Danny Vitale is the real deal. He not only lead blocks and pass protects, but he really is a skilled route runner and natural receiver out of the backfield. He caught several checkdowns underneath and then produced the play of the day when he made a contested catch

As discussed last week, I thought the reference to his blocking and protecting was striking.  I realize it said he did those thing, not that he did them well!  But hopefully he's improving enough in his blocking and protecting that he can be professional and effective, even if not pan-cakey battering-ram overpowering.  To be competent and smart in those areas, plus being a cool tool in the passing game, that would be really fun. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »
– Danny Vitale is the real deal. He not only lead blocks and pass protects, but he really is a skilled route runner and natural receiver out of the backfield. He caught several checkdowns underneath and then produced the play of the day when he made a contested catch

As discussed last week, I thought the reference to his blocking and protecting was striking.  I realize it said he did those thing, not that he did them well!  But hopefully he's improving enough in his blocking and protecting that he can be professional and effective, even if not pan-cakey battering-ram overpowering.  To be competent and smart in those areas, plus being a cool tool in the passing game, that would be really fun.

Like all people in all walks of life, if someone strives to be better and works hard enough at it they can most times achieve their goals. It would be wonderful if Vitale has become all thing great for the Packers, will be fun to watch play out.