June 16, 2019, 11:32:09 AM

Author Topic: Josh Jones wants to be Traded?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Josh Jones wants to be Traded?
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
According to Demofsky, Jones is skipping the vol OTAs and is working out in Florida and hopes to be traded.  Have to keep an eye on this one. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:56:34 AM by The GM »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Josh Jones wants to be Traded?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
If he could grab a starting position, there are many teams that would look at him: Jacksonville, Dallas, and maybe even the Colts. As of right now.....hasn't proven he can start and play a solid position.
Sort of feel sorry for him. He's either getting bad advise or ignoring good advise. This isn't college anymore, it's a business. And if you want to play, you need to prove it.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Wow, if that's true that's really amazing.  Hard to even imagine a dumber decision than that.  Really bizarre. 

Who knows.  I don't understand the intricacies, or what coaches tell guys off-season.  I know in baseball, many teams will have a post-season consult/analysis, particularly with developmental minor leaguers, and let them know how they should prepare to be used, and what aspects of their game they need to work on and improve.  NFL has a different culture, so maybe no such thing.  But maybe they have, and he doesn't feel fit for whatever plans or usage they envision for him? 

When Pettine was hired, there was also considerable talk about how he and his system values smart guys.  I wonder if maybe Pettine just doesn't think Jones has the decision-making smarts to ever be a good player in the system?  And maybe Jones sees that and knows it too? 

Given how shallow the safety group is, and how VERY think the ILB group is, it seems like the Packers roster should be full of opportunity for Jones, perhaps more opportunity here than he might be likely to find anywhere else. 

So just seems like an incredibly bizarre choice to make.  Really weird.   

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:59:29 AM »
Maybe he's not buying into the hybrid thing or being a situational player?  Drafting Savage probably didnt help him.  Have to wait and see how this plays out.

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
Sort of feel sorry for him. He's either getting bad advise or ignoring good advise. This isn't college anymore, it's a business. And if you want to play, you need to prove it.

You can't prove anything buried on the depth chart. His team just acquired two long-term starters. He's unlikely to see much playing time over the final two years of his contract regardless of how far his game progresses. He'll be hitting free agency with scant production over his entire rookie contract and would be looking at a minimal deal at a time when he should be getting the biggest contract of his career.

Considering that few teams have a pair of starters as talented as Amos and Savage, Jones likely has a better chance to start on almost any other team. Forcing a trade or getting himself cut is the only way he's going to get that chance. There's a bit of risk in his approach. No team seems likely to trade for him, so he'll likely be cut/claimed and could well end up in a similar situation, buried on another teams depth chart behind some quality starters, like he is in GB. Its a chance he's obviously willing to take.

It shouldn't surprise anyone when players attempt to maximize their earning potential. Jones has correctly estimated that there's better opportunity for playing time and a bigger payday elsewhere. From that perspective, his attempt to get out of GB makes perfect sense.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
I don't agree, Yakker.  Players can play.  There are lots of scenarios where the Packers would use 3 safeties, *IF* they thought they had 3 good ones.  It's the National INjury League:  Amos and Savage are possibly going to hurt and miss lots of games and snaps.  Savage is a rookie; is Jones thinks he's good, he's got an excellent opportunity to win a starting job out of camp.  There's the ILB end of the continuum; other than Martinez, if the competition is Burks and Summers and UDFA, then *IF* Jones was a playmaker, he could win a lot of snaps. 

I think there are tons of opportunities in GB for Jones to play a lot, contribute a lot, and position himself for a solid 2nd contract.  I don't think the question is opportunity; I think the question is whether Jones is good enough seize any of them.  IMO. 

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
Agreed. He needs to show up and prove he can contribute. There were several times last year when the ball was in the air and Jones was in position to make a play. He seemed to either not know or unwilling to make the play.  I really thought based on the pick and the sales job he would be a huge part of this defense.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
If Jones is indeed hoping to be traded, then he has that right. He's been with the Packers for two years, and has seen and experienced enough to understand what his chances are of being an important part of the defense. His wanting to go elsewhere is because he believes he will have a better chance to start. And, who knows, maybe he believes the coaching will be better on another team. As Sonny said to Michael in "The Godfather", "It's not personal, it's business." Some on here seem to be taking this as a slight/insult to the Packers. No, Jones is making a business decision, betting on himself, and believing he'll have a better chance elsewhere. But, all that typed, Jones really has no viable options if the Packers refuse to let him go. Good luck to him

An article with a reaction to the Jones "demand":

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/will-the-packers-grant-josh-jones-request-for-a-trade-241
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:23:08 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
I posted this earlier before this thread existed:

As a player in his first contract this is the closest thing to power. It is important to note that he is skipping voluntary OTA's - not holding out or missing mandatory mini-camp or practices.

I hope the Packers do not blink. Once management cracks open the door, other players under contract will see this as an effective way to force trades or releases. At worst Josh Jones is a valuable special teams player and depth at safety and nickel and dime MLB.

An unfortunate development early in a new coaching staffs reign.
[/i]

Possibly if the right price was offered. A release would need to include a return of change short of $610,000 in signing bonus dollars. But like I wrote earlier the Packers should be cautious about potentially opening Pandora's box.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ETphonehome

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
Maybe the browns want to replace jabrill with him and have both our safety mistakes. Come on Duke Johnson

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »
Yeah, guys can ask for whatever they want, and they are under no obligation to attend OTA. 

I think it's incredibly dumb, though. 
1.  If this is effectively a request to be released, the Packers shouldn't and presumably won't do that.
2.  If this is actually intended to be a request for a trade, I don't believe anybody will give any value, maybe a conditional 7th or something relatively worthless like that.  So the Packers shouldn't and presumably won't accede. 
3.  If he's concerned about his 2nd contract, endearing himself to the coaching staff, mastering the defense, and putting good football on tape is the best way to do that.  Sitting out isn't going to win him snaps.  And sitting on the bench during the season isn't going to enrich his second contract. 

Just seems like a really self-defeating business decision. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:10:41 PM by craig »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
I posted this earlier before this thread existed:

As a player in his first contract this is the closest thing to power. It is important to note that he is skipping voluntary OTA's - not holding out or missing mandatory mini-camp or practices.

I hope the Packers do not blink. Once management cracks open the door, other players under contract will see this as an effective way to force trades or releases. At worst Josh Jones is a valuable special teams player and depth at safety and nickel and dime MLB.

An unfortunate development early in a new coaching staffs reign.
[/i]

Possibly if the right price was offered. A release would need to include a return of change short of $610,000 in signing bonus dollars. But like I wrote earlier the Packers should be cautious about potentially opening Pandora's box.

I don't buy your argument. So, one player is apparently disgruntled and wants to be traded. If the team accomodates him, somehow this will lead to (A trickle? Stampede? Mass exodus?) more players demanding to be traded? Who and why? This is one individual, and not a very important player. An underperforming, very minor cog who has not shown any growth in ability or understanding. He had a year under Capers and a year under Pettine. And seemed to regress in Pettine's scheme. He has shown himself to be a coverage liabilty, and couldn't even outplay the recently departed Kentrell Brice. The Packers add a FA safety and draft another in the first round (after trading up, effectively sending three draft picks to get one guy), and Jones is supposed to believe he'll be given a bigger role in the defense? Let him go. Get something for him and call it a day. Jones was another mistake in a draft filled with under/nonperformers.

Here are the 10 picks the Packers made in the 2017 draft:
Round 2, pick 33: Kevin King, CB, Washington.
Round 2, pick 61: Josh Jones, S, NC State.
Round 3, pick 93: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn.
Round 4, pick 108: Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin.
Round 4, pick 134: Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU.
Round 5, pick 175: Deangelo Yancey, WR, Purdue.

This was a bad draft. King often injured; Jones an apparent bust; Adams hanging on by a thread; Biegel and Yancey gone. Williams is the only reliable contributor in this group.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 03:57:17 PM »
I agree craig... but Josh is hardly alone in employing this tactic. And frankly, as a young player in a first contract he does not have many other feathers in his quiver to use.

I am sure it was a blow to watch the team make a Big free agency move and a trade to move up in the first round to grab a couple of safeties that will come in immediately passing him on the depth chart.

I am old school. You channel that frustration into getting better and competing. It makes me wonder who he is listening to? Is Drew Rosenhaus still his agent? 

It also brings to question the teaching going on in Green Bay. almost all NFL draft experts and analysts projected Josh projected to be a second round pick. He was ranked the third best strong safety prospect available in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com, was ranked the sixth best safety by ESPN and Sports Illustrated. He has all the impressive size and speed. Until now he seemed to be willing to put in the work on and off the field for the Packers.

I remember all to well how quickly fans wanted to give up on Darren Sharper and Nick Collins. Josh may never turn into the player we hoped for, but year three seems way to early to be giving up on a guy with his physical attributes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:20:11 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »
ricky, teams are full of players who want more opportunity. Once you start allowing players to believe this is all it takes it to get out of a contract it can open all kinds of problems.

I know fans are mostly fixed on the top of the roster, but championship teams build quality on special teams and depth.

FYI, despite Josh Jones disappointing 2018 he was 5th on the team in tackles. More than Kentrell Brice, Josh Jackson, Kyler Fackrell, Clay Matthews...

releasing him also comes with a CAP hit

ALSO for the record, I think this ends badly with at best a conditional trade and at worst a outright release. I was simply expressing my opinion on how the Packers should handle situations like this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:21:56 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
ALSO for the record, I think this ends badly with at best a conditional trade and at worst a outright release. I was simply expressing my opinion on how the Packers should handle situations like this.

I was also giving my opinion. We just happen to disagree on the importance of this particular scenario. We simply see things differently. No offense meant, and hopefully none taken. And I agree that Jones will not have much value. It's up to the Packers. Jones can ask for anything he wants, but he is contractually obligated to the Packers for two more years.