October 23, 2019, 02:31:34 PM

Author Topic: Dare we say?  (Read 911 times)

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
Dare we say?
« on: September 14, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
JK Scott = Ray Guy?   Discuss.
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Dare we say?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
JK Scott = Ray Guy?   Discuss.

Ray Guy was vastly overrated IMO. Im not ready to put Scott in the same level until he gets more experience and does it over an extended period as Guy did.  Guys career average was 42 yards per punt.  Thats a pedestrian
punter today.  Hell Scott's rookie season was over 44 yards per kick.  Guy was a first round pick, I think ALOT of hype came with that every time he kicked on TV.  Youd think this guy kicked 60 yards every kick the way he was hyped.  It just wasnt the case.  Guy was good but vastly overhyped by Al Davis, Madden and the networks IMO. 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:27:32 PM by The GM »

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
Reggie Roby, high booming kicks and plant foot on the ground.

Offline PackerPete

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
In my best Blazing Saddles voice. "DARE!!!! DARE!!!"

Offline PackerPete

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
To GM

Ray Guy may have been slightly overrated: however, for HIS time he was a game changer because he could consistently get a lot of yardage with the all important element of hang time to go with it. He was also the best directional punter in the league and was excellent at killing the ball inside the 5 yard line when required.

My impression with nothing to back it up because I am too lazy at the moment is, early in his career most teams routinely had two returners back to field punts because a lot of punters used to line drive their kicks to get distance and relied on the funny bounce principle to delay the fielding/return. NFL players on average now are also much faster, which has led to the punters having to set up even deeper behind center to avoid blocks. The Raiders were already doing this because they could afford to with Ray Guy punting.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
To GM

Ray Guy may have been slightly overrated: however, for HIS time he was a game changer because he could consistently get a lot of yardage with the all important element of hang time to go with it. He was also the best directional punter in the league and was excellent at killing the ball inside the 5 yard line when required.

My impression with nothing to back it up because I am too lazy at the moment is, early in his career most teams routinely had two returners back to field punts because a lot of punters used to line drive their kicks to get distance and relied on the funny bounce principle to delay the fielding/return. NFL players on average now are also much faster, which has led to the punters having to set up even deeper behind center to avoid blocks. The Raiders were already doing this because they could afford to with Ray Guy punting.

I get what you are saying PP,  but in yards per kick Ray Guy ranks near #80 all time.    The Raiders emphasis on outside speed certainly could have handled Guy kicking it further.   Hang time is great but if its a short kick, hang time loses its emphasis.   

Ray Guy was also a All Conference Safety in college, he wanted to play some safety for the Raiders as well.  When he got to the Raiders during one of his first practices, he lined up at safety and John Madden said "what are you doing?", Guy says, "the General Manager told me when I signed, I could play some safety too".  Madden told him "Ron Wolf lied to you, get off the field"               

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:46 AM »
To GM

I get what you are saying PP,  but in yards per kick Ray Guy ranks near #80 all time.    The Raiders emphasis on outside speed certainly could have handled Guy kicking it further.   Hang time is great but if its a short kick, hang time loses its emphasis.   

Ray Guy was also a All Conference Safety in college, he wanted to play some safety for the Raiders as well.  When he got to the Raiders during one of his first practices, he lined up at safety and John Madden said "what are you doing?", Guy says, "the General Manager told me when I signed, I could play some safety too".  Madden told him "Ron Wolf lied to you, get off the field"             

I thought he was their emergency QB?
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
To GM

I thought he was their emergency QB?

He had a strong arm, and was a baseball pitcher in college.  He was a pretty good athlete, thats probably why he was named the Emergency QB
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:06:16 PM by The GM »