August 23, 2019, 01:04:29 PM

Author Topic: Position look: DL  (Read 1547 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: DL
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Jerry Montgomery has made it quite clear that he is excited about having the talent to rotate fresh players who can give 100% non stop. He also has expressed excitement about working closely with Mike Smith and applying pressure from multiple places.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »
I think the depth and volume of playable guys to rotate is really important. Both for rotating within a game; But also to have other options when a guy could otherwise be playing hurt.  I think Daniels, for example, has played a lot of snaps both playing tired AND playing hurt.  I know they are warriors and want to play and contribute even when hurt.  But I am so convinced that playing hurt can be doubly-hurtful... to the team.  First, guys playing hurt often can't play as effectively.  2nd, guys playing hurt often can never heal and never approach the effectiveness they could have *IF* they were able to heal.  But if you've got 10 very legit DL/OLB in the group, if one guy has a sore ankle or whatever, you can let him rest it for a week

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 06:58:55 AM »
...Adams is a gifted player with a skillset that not a whole lot of DL have, but was guilty of believing he was still on scholarship his first few years. He was lucky because of his draft status that he got away with that attitude,....

RT, what do you see as the unique and asset skillset for Adams?  The early draft profile/projection, as I recall, was as a quickness guy with unusually strong pass-rush potential for a DL, right?  He got 1.5 sacks last year, so it's not clear yet that pass-rush is really going to be his signature? But the hypothetical potential for pass-rush penetration remains, relative to cats like Lowry and Lancaster, for example?  I imagine the hope is that he can be an all-around guy.  Quick enough to pick up some sacks and lots more pressures; quick enough and strong enough to compress the front of the pocket even when pressures and sacks don't record; but strong enough to play the run well too.  And quickness and penetration that help in pass can also be really effective in run as well, to deform a line, to TFL, to force a back to go a different direction. 

I do admit I always have concerns with guys with attitude issues, which you allude to, and perhaps with diagnostic-speed, decision-making questions.   

Sorry that I was so slow to respond craig.

Adams explosiveness off the ball is rare and he is a guy that has pass-rush moves that get the other teams attention. As I stated earlier it sometimes takes players a few years to put it all together. I'm sure their will be those that point to the lack of production on the stat sheet and claim that he sucks because of that. But I will go back to his rookie training camp for some players quotes to hopefully get a view of the untapped potential.

“His pass-rush moves are ridiculous,” veteran defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois said. “I thought it would take him a while to adjust to the NFL and have to change from college moves to NFL moves, but I think he already adjusted.
“It’s just sad that he got hurt and he’s got to sit out a lot.”

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to be a great player in this league,” said nose tackle Kenny Clark, a first-round pick in 2016. “The main thing I can say about ‘Mon’ is that he’s explosive. When he gets off the ball and does it right, there’s nobody who can stop him off the ball.

“Just the first two days of practice, his explosiveness, how he gets upfield, he looked real good.”
Jean Francois went even further in his evaluation of Adams. He said before the injury, he was convinced the rookie was going to be on the field rushing the passer in the Sept. 10 season opener against Seattle.
“He’s a pretty special kid,” Jean Francois said. “When third down comes up, I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on that field. If he’s on that field, I’m betting money on him getting to that quarterback first.
“He has pass-rush moves. I just wish he could have developed his game a lot more.”

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »
Yeah, I recall the Francois buzz after the two days of practice.  Not sure I've heard any such since....  Hopefully we'll hear some and see some this year. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Some good stuff from PFF on Kenny Clark.

0-1-technique – Kenny Clark

A few years ago this would have hands down been Damon Harrison. However, the rise of the passing game has forced even nose tackles to up their game in the pass-rush, and no one affects the pass better between the guards than the Packers nose tackle. Last season, Clark’s 91.5 pass-rush grade from 0- or 1-technique was the tops of any player in the NFL. Oh, and he wasn’t too shabby against the run either, as his 90.8 run-defense grade trailed only Big Snacks. As a 20-year-old at UCLA, Clark earned the most bull-rush pressures of any interior player in the nation. Now only 23(!), Clark is doing the same against grown men at the highest level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-prototypical-defensive-linemen-for-each-dl-technique-heading-into-2019

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
The more they talk about the Packers potential pass rush the more I get excited to see what they can do with the pads on.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/05/zadarius-smith-could-make-packers-defense-nasty-on-third-down/

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 07:16:10 AM »
Being strong in the middle goes a long way in helping the pass rush. It stops the run game and makes teams play more one-on-one with the pass rushers. The defense will be fun to watch.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 01:44:25 PM »
With the release of Mike Daniels the door swings wide open for Fadol Brown to impress and make the 53. Two months ago I would of given him a slim chance to make the roster, but not today.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Lions needed help.

Flowers is on PUP I believe and “Snacks” is on non-football injury list.

I wonder what kind of pay cut he took?

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »
Montravius Adams received first-team reps next to Dean Lowry and Kenny Clark.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
This will maybe sound dumb, but  think it's fun to be back in a D+D mode.  Absolutely it was fun to sign Smith and Smith, and Amos and Butler.  But FA is always something of an undesirable contingency alternative when your D+D hasn't produced enough guys who are worth 2nd contracts and hasn't produced enough guys to deserve all of the cap.

As a fan, I love to see young guys emerging and improving. 

D+D was always the way during the good years, but some draft non-successes had kind of slumped that for a while.  I feel like they are back in a better position with a better volume of young guys, many of whom may be ready to emerge.  For me as a fan, I love to watch that. 

Obviously as a contender, giving D+D guys opportunities is not the same as having them play them at a championship level. 

Lots of guys will have opportunity to emerge as good players; the question is how many of them will actually play like guys who should be snaps guys on a Super Bowl roster.  Should be fun to see; hopefully a lot of them will emerge.