October 14, 2019, 09:18:36 PM

Author Topic: NFL Depth Charts  (Read 646 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
NFL Depth Charts
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
When scanning through other teams depth charts, it is hard to not notice all the players who started with the Packers out of college. What got me digging a little deeper was looking at the Patriots depth chart and 2 former Packers are their listed starting DT's. Lawrence Guy who was a 7th round pick of the Packers in 2011 and Mike Pennel who was an UDFA in 2014. Add Ringo in Cincinnati and Price in Cleveland as players adding depth for their teams on the DL.

It is hard to believe that the Packers needed to go out and spend money in FA on a safety when you look at the quality of players that they had in their training camps and let them go. Randall, Burnett and Whitehead are the top 3 safeties on a very good Cleveland defense. Hyde is playing at a Pro Bowl level in Buffalo. Brice in TB and Clinton-Dix in Chicago are both listed as starters, plus Banjo in NO just got a big contract there as a ST ace. CB Hayward is another player that can be added to the secondary departures. That is a lot of safety talent in the last 3 to 4 years to turn around and hand out big money in FA for a player who is probably a lesser player than some of the players let go.

Most all positions are represented around the league with former Packers players. QB Hill in NO and OL Tretter in Cleveland would of both looked nice on the Packers depth chart and Tretter would of probably saved the Packers from overspending and signing Turner in FA.

I counted 24 players that started their careers in GB out of college and that does not count all the players that spent time in GB and moved onto careers elsewhere or players like Perry who are probably waiting on an injury somewhere before signing with someone. The narrative the last 5 or so years is that the Packers were short on talent, but oddly enough other teams have had no problem adding that talent to their rosters. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: NFL Depth Charts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
So the Packers are poor at player evaluation, and other teams take advantage of the Packers lack of acumen and snatch up "diamonds in the rough" who blossom elsewhere. Or is your argument that the Packers should never cut a player because they might be of use at some point? Some of the players you point out are contributors/starters. But just because someone is pencilled in as a starter for this season in OTA's doesn't really mean much. Sure, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde and even the overrated Taysom Hill can be seen as axceptions. But most of these guys are journeymen. And they are journeymen that can be replaced by cheaper, younger options every year. All part of the process.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
When scanning through other teams depth charts, it is hard to not notice all the players who started with the Packers out of college. What got me digging a little deeper was looking at the Patriots depth chart and 2 former Packers are their listed starting DT's. Lawrence Guy who was a 7th round pick of the Packers in 2011 and Mike Pennel who was an UDFA in 2014. Add Ringo in Cincinnati and Price in Cleveland as players adding depth for their teams on the DL.

It is hard to believe that the Packers needed to go out and spend money in FA on a safety when you look at the quality of players that they had in their training camps and let them go. Randall, Burnett and Whitehead are the top 3 safeties on a very good Cleveland defense. Hyde is playing at a Pro Bowl level in Buffalo. Brice in TB and Clinton-Dix in Chicago are both listed as starters, plus Banjo in NO just got a big contract there as a ST ace. CB Hayward is another player that can be added to the secondary departures. That is a lot of safety talent in the last 3 to 4 years to turn around and hand out big money in FA for a player who is probably a lesser player than some of the players let go.

Most all positions are represented around the league with former Packers players. QB Hill in NO and OL Tretter in Cleveland would of both looked nice on the Packers depth chart and Tretter would of probably saved the Packers from overspending and signing Turner in FA.

I counted 24 players that started their careers in GB out of college and that does not count all the players that spent time in GB and moved onto careers elsewhere or players like Perry who are probably waiting on an injury somewhere before signing with someone. The narrative the last 5 or so years is that the Packers were short on talent, but oddly enough other teams have had no problem adding that talent to their rosters.

I'm struggling to understand the gist of you post RT.

Are there numerous former Packers, who are playing (and some playing well)? Yes.
But the reasons for some of them maybe aren't just cut and dried simple, at least IMO.

Guy Lawrence - Guy spent his rookie season on IR with GB. The Packers tried to stash him on the PS the next season, but the Colts signed him off the practice squad. The Colts waived him the next year and he signed with the Chargers and played all that season until they waived him 3 weeks into the next season. Then the Ravens signed him and he played 2 1/2 seasons  with them, became a FA and signed with NE. Packers would have been waiting almost 5 years to get any production out of him.

Brian Price went from GB, to DAL, to OAK, before winding up in CLEV.

Mike Pennel was suspended twice in the same season (4 games each time) for violating the substance abuse program. GB stood with him on the first one. He made his own bed with the second offense.

Christian Ringo was a victim of Dom Capers incapability. A little light in the britches, but cat quick off the snap. If Pettine had been here then, he may have found a home in GB. But regardless, after GB released him he went to Cincy, then DET, then DAL, and now back to Cincy.

I agree that letting Micah Hyde go was not a good thing, but the contract he got from BUF was way over what GB had him valued at. Did TT misjudge his value? Maybe. But that is something that could be debated for days with no one winning the debate.

Same with Casey Hayward. Capers didn't know how to use him, and TT undervalued him. He signed a very team friendly contract with the Chargers and became all -pro that same season.

HHCD gave up on his team. He needed to be gone. At least they got a draft pick for him, and that draft pick was part of the deal that brought Darnell Savage in the draft. I'm ok with that.

They thought they had Burnett's replacement. But they were wrong. Or, were they? Is he still playing in PITT?

Randall, like HHCD and Whitehead, was deemed to be a person who compromised team chemistry and therefore didn't fit. A good player who was asked to play a position that wasn't where he was supposed to play. That's on TT-MM-DC, and in the past.

Whitehead was a Hothead, or at least for one game (NE) it seems. Getting ejected for smacking another player on the head got him ejected. Was he an "issue" at practice/camp? Like HHCD, keeping him may have set a bad example for what could be tolerated. Servicable/versatile "depth" player, but he had some serious shortcomings.

Chris Banjo was a good guy. He was another Jarrett Bush type guy. You didn't want him starting, but he could fill in once in a while, and was great on ST's. He would be a nice piece to still have for depth and ST's

Kentrell Brice was a liability in GB. Packers let him walk as a FA because they thought they could find better talent. We'll see in training camp, but they think it was the right move.

Hill was another PS guy that got sniped away (see Guy Lawrence). Sean Peyton get's way more out of him that MM could ever dream of. Would MLF find a role for him? Undoubtedly, Yes.

Tretter was another guy that TT didn't figure his market value, similar to Micah Hyde. They both left the same year, and BTW, that was TT's last year of being GM. So knowing what we know now about TT's health. Does it surprise me that he made mistakes on them.

Ultimately, all of this is water under the bridge.

Turner is being spoken highly of by Rodgers and others.
Amos is one of the better Safety's in the league. He's a major upgrade over HHCD, especially since he can play both Safety spots very well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:51:00 PM by dannobanano »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Danno and ricky, I think you are both looking too hard for a hidden meaning to my post and I really don't think there is one. Just pointing out that their are a lot of former Packers still employed around the league and it is a bit of a shame the timing wasn't different with a few of them. Of the 24 I don't believe the Packers made the wrong decision at the time on any of them. It is sad to see all the safeties that are working out for other teams that for different reasons didn't work out in GB. Such is life in the NFL.

I guess maybe the hidden meaning is that the Packers weren't as bad at gathering talent as many want everyone to believe. I did the exercise of reviewing the Packers drafts in December and of the 34 players drafted by the Packers from 2014-2017, 27 of them were on an NFL roster. That is 79.4%, that is a very high percentage.

As for Turner and Rodgers speaking highly of him, they are in OTA's and he is an OL and they cannot block and tackle yet, so just what is he speaking highly about. Maybe his really cool manbun. I also don't agree with the idea that Amos is one of the better safeties in the league, IMO he is a very average player. Tretter and Hyde are far better players then Turner and Amos, but the timing was not right for the Packers to keep those two that is all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:59:51 PM by RT »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 04:20:35 AM »
I'll give you Turner, since they haven't put on the pads yet.

But I'll politely disagree on Amos. He is a terrific fit in Pettine's defense and was one of the better FA acquisitions in March.