October 14, 2019, 09:06:43 PM

Author Topic: Matt LaFleur did not have final say on hiring assistants  (Read 2133 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Matt LaFleur did not have final say on hiring assistants
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »
B,  clap) hysterical hatsoff) popcorn)

Nice riposte. But if this affects the team, it is important. If it doesn't, it's not. Also, this is the "lull time" for everyone, including beat writers. Staying in the entertainment realm, as Nick Carlton (William Hurt) said in "The Big Chill". "Just trying to keep the conversation lively!"

OK, just read this at CheeseheadTV, and it's not optimistic. It talks about patience. Well, Rodgers is 35, and unless he can play as well as Brady, and stay as healthy until he's 42, then the window for winning is closing rapidly. It seems the team has done everything it can to maximize the chances of a quick turnaround from the past few seasons. Time to set a new standard for first year coaches in GB, and, at minimum, make a strong drive for the SB.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/matt-lafleur-and-new-staff-need-patience-704
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:13:06 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
It was interesting after after the first minicamp, how much Rodgers and Adams and the veterans on offense talked about "new system".  Having worked under the single MM system for all of their careers, will be interesting to see how quickly they can adapt.  Obviously we're all hoping it will benefit them greatly and they'll love it.  Perhaps it will have some challenges.  Certainly it will give the offense an excuse to struggle! 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:55 AM »
It was interesting after after the first minicamp, how much Rodgers and Adams and the veterans on offense talked about "new system".  Having worked under the single MM system for all of their careers, will be interesting to see how quickly they can adapt.  Obviously we're all hoping it will benefit them greatly and they'll love it.  Perhaps it will have some challenges.  Certainly it will give the offense an excuse to struggle!

Gotta expect some growing pains on both sides of the ball.  A new head coach and offense and a lot of new faces and rookies on defense.  Hoping it all comes together but its probably asking a lot.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
Growing pains? Yes absolutely!
Excuses? Absolutely NOT!

The first is inevitability and essential in the growing process individually as players and collectively as a team.
The second is a barrier to growth and development.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »
Rodgers is 35, and unless he can play as well as Brady, and stay as healthy until he's 42, then the window for winning is closing rapidly.

Brady gets rid of the ball quick and doesn't put himself in jeopardy. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I bet Rodgers has taken at least double the sacks Brady has. Also Brady is perfectly happy to march down the field 7 yards at a time. He doesn't push his arm like Rodgers does.

Rodgers apparently eats really well and stretches and works out, but I'm not at all confident that's enough to keep him playing until he's 42.

** I looked it up, and the stats are not so compelling. Brady averages 26 sacks a year, Rodgers 32.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:17:45 PM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Rodgers is 35, and unless he can play as well as Brady, and stay as healthy until he's 42, then the window for winning is closing rapidly.

Brady gets rid of the ball quick and doesn't put himself in jeopardy. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I bet Rodgers has taken at least double the sacks Brady has. Also Brady is perfectly happy to march down the field 7 yards at a time. He doesn't push his arm like Rodgers does.

Rodgers apparently eats really well and stretches and works out, but I'm not at all confident that's enough to keep him playing until he's 42.

** I looked it up, and the stats are not so compelling. Brady averages 26 sacks a year, Rodgers 32.

What also helps is Bradys surrounding cast.  His contract helps provide that surrounding cast.  Brady has the lowest salary of any starting QB not on a rookie deal.  Think about that for a minute.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

What also helps is Bradys surrounding cast.  His contract helps provide that surrounding cast.  Brady has the lowest salary of any starting QB not on a rookie deal.  Think about that for a minute.

Brady plays the game for the love of it, and the rings. He don’t need no steenking money!

His wife’s net worth is north of $400M and going up by the minute!

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 05:37:36 PM »
Rest assured, even as Brady helps his team with cap space he has made bank. Brady shot past $200 million in career earnings in 2018.

Yes, he loves the game, but he has NOT exactly been playing for free.

1   Eli Manning Career Earnings   
Eli Manning
QUARTERBACK   $235,280,004

2   Drew Brees Career Earnings   
Drew Brees
QUARTERBACK   $221,710,422

3   Tom Brady Career Earnings   
Tom Brady
QUARTERBACK   $212,166,804

4   Aaron Rodgers Career Earnings   
Aaron Rodgers
QUARTERBACK   $204,044,529

5   Philip Rivers Career Earnings   
Philip Rivers
QUARTERBACK   $202,917,656

6   Ben Roethlisberger Career Earnings   
Ben Roethlisberger
QUARTERBACK   $187,286,864

7   Matt Ryan Career Earnings   
Matt Ryan
QUARTERBACK   $178,707,925

8   Matthew Stafford Career Earnings   
Matthew Stafford
QUARTERBACK   $178,278,969

9   Larry Fitzgerald Career Earnings   
Larry Fitzgerald
WIDE RECEIVER   $163,296,387

10   Joe Flacco Career Earnings   
Joe Flacco
QUARTERBACK   $147,800,000

11   Alex Smith Career Earnings   
Alex Smith
QUARTERBACK   $146,475,0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:42:42 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 06:27:55 AM »
Rest assured, even as Brady helps his team with cap space he has made bank. Brady shot past $200 million in career earnings in 2018.

Yes, he loves the game, but he has NOT exactly been playing for free.

1   Eli Manning Career Earnings   
Eli Manning
QUARTERBACK   $235,280,004

2   Drew Brees Career Earnings   
Drew Brees
QUARTERBACK   $221,710,422

3   Tom Brady Career Earnings   
Tom Brady
QUARTERBACK   $212,166,804

4   Aaron Rodgers Career Earnings   
Aaron Rodgers
QUARTERBACK   $204,044,529

5   Philip Rivers Career Earnings   
Philip Rivers
QUARTERBACK   $202,917,656

6   Ben Roethlisberger Career Earnings   
Ben Roethlisberger
QUARTERBACK   $187,286,864

7   Matt Ryan Career Earnings   
Matt Ryan
QUARTERBACK   $178,707,925

8   Matthew Stafford Career Earnings   
Matthew Stafford
QUARTERBACK   $178,278,969

9   Larry Fitzgerald Career Earnings   
Larry Fitzgerald
WIDE RECEIVER   $163,296,387

10   Joe Flacco Career Earnings   
Joe Flacco
QUARTERBACK   $147,800,000

11   Alex Smith Career Earnings   
Alex Smith
QUARTERBACK   $146,475,0

Which of course does not even begin to touch the various commercial and endorsement contract that Tom has collected upon, likely followed closely by Drew and Aaron.

The Tom plays purely for the love of the game has been a great marketing ploy, which has resulted in every penny he has left on the table through contract restructuring being returned 10 fold in other dollars.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:08:24 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:42 PM »
That said, Bruce, I kinda wish Rodgers used a ploy like that, and freed up a bunch of millions of cap money for the team to use!  :):):)  Commercial income doesn't count against the cap.  Brady is 6+ years (and 5 SB wins) older than Rodgers, but is only $8 ahead.  Having an extra $6M in cap money for the team to use every year, that can be kinda helpful I'd think in assembling a surrounding cast.  I think Brady leaving a bunch of cap money on the table has made it a little easier for the Patriots to keep fielding super bowl teams.  O well, that was a unique decision that has served Brady and the Patriots very well. 

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
That is more a result of where and when they started

In 2001, the year he won his first Super Bowl - Tom Brady was paid $314,000. He was a 6th round pick and that was the salary number for his 6th round slot that year - all well and good -  the Patriots got a bargain.

2005 Rodgers’ rookie deal -  Five years, $7.65 million, his slide in the first round cost him millions. Alex Smith, No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, signed a six-year, $49.5 million deal with the San Francisco 49ers.

Brady restructuring his yearly contract is not him giving it away, it is simply changing when and how he receives it.

Different organizations handle CAP management differently. Frankly New England and Green Bay while very different, both are viewed as managing it very well.

Frankly, I think they are all overpaid
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:44:34 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
Michael Lombardi - May 16th podcast,

“Packers dysfunction is because Mark Murphy has taken the team and said, “I’m the king of all kings, everything must go through me,” Oliver North invented this term “plausible deniability” – Murphy can sit there and say ‘Oh I have nothing to do with it.’

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »
There is no doubt that Michael Lombardi was extremely disappointed that he didn't get the GM job. He doesn't like Murphy and I'm sure would love to see him fall on his face. I know he and others who were passed over are the source of this sudden dysfunction buzz/ Bottom line though is that Mark Murphy is the boss, and until he isn't anymore he will put in place the organizational structure that is he sees fit.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »
There is no doubt that Michael Lombardi was extremely disappointed that he didn't get the GM job. He doesn't like Murphy and I'm sure would love to see him fall on his face. I know he and others who were passed over are the source of this sudden dysfunction buzz/ Bottom line though is that Mark Murphy is the boss, and until he isn't anymore he will put in place the organizational structure that is he sees fit.

Michael Lombardi was never in anyone's minds about possibly being the Packers next GM, not even in Michael Lombardi's mind.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 05:14:47 AM »
The "other" MM says Bullshit!

Coach LaFleur had complete control over the hiring of his coaching staff,” Murphy said. “The report was the result of an article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel based on interviews with 20 anonymous sources. I told the author that Coach LaFleur had complete control to hire his assistants, but he included comments to the contrary from an anonymous source. The editors said they wanted to present a “balanced” view of the hiring process. Interestingly, they never asked Coach LaFleur if he was able to hire his assistants, something he would have confirmed. … Hiring assistant coaches is one of the most important in in the success of a head coach, and I’ve always felt it is foolish to restrict them in any way.”

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:19:30 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi