August 24, 2019, 04:05:52 AM

Author Topic: Position look: CB/S  (Read 1525 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Position look: CB/S
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
I errantly typed "WR" when I meant secondary; Hollman has seemingly a pretty thin competition at the back of the cornerback crowd. 

But as for Davis, what was wrong with his approach?  Are you talking something attitudinal, like lazy or cocky or something?  Or technique-wise? 

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:23 AM »
Interesting assesment :o craig. Holman, who has outstanding athletic ability, has impressed in shorts - which is noteworthy good news. However, I totally disagree with your assertion that there is pretty thin competition at the back of the cornerback crowd. 

Tony Brown, who played in 11 games last season as a rookie out of Alabama, has equally impressive athleticism.

Will Redmon was an early 2016 3rd round pic (No. 68 overall) is finally healthy after starting his career with a serious knee injury.

Natrell Jamerson, fifth round (2018 No. 164 overall)  out of the University of Wisconsin played in 10 games as a rookie.

Chandon Sullivan spent his rookie season on the Eagles’ practice squad and active roster, appearing in five games with one start. Sullivan recorded 11 tackles (seven solo) and a pass defensed.

IMO that is a pretty deep and talented back end of a position headed up by Alexander, King, Jackson  and Williams, and that is without even considering any of this year's undrafted free agent possibilities
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:09:49 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 06:14:07 AM »
Trying to get a bead on the final 53 is very difficult this early in the process. A week or two of training camp and a published depth chart would help to clarify things. I'll try it anyway.

To try and get a handle on the makeup of the CB/S numbers, I'm projecting this year will be a 25/25 split (ie 25 on offense, 25 on defense), plus 3 on ST to make up the 53. They might go an extra guy on either offense or defense for a more unbalanced look, but it's unlikely to be more than a 26/24 split.

So, 25 on defense. It would be reasonable to suppose that there would be about 11 guys between DL and Edge. I'd guess at Clark, Daniels, Lowry, M.Adams, Lancaster, Keke, Z.Smith, P.Smith, Fackrell, Gary, + one other. (Total 11).

At ILB, maybe Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Summers. (Total 4).

That leaves 10 for CB/S. I had Amos/Savage/Greene/J.Jones as the four safeties. The six CBs were King, Alexander, J.Jackson, T.Williams, T.Brown, K.Hollman. There is always some potential crossover between S and CB, but at this early stage it looks like a possible roster.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
I agree 1265, my point was that there is some pretty high quality athleticism, talent and competition at the back end of the cornerback position.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
I agree 1265, my point was that there is some pretty high quality athleticism, talent and competition at the back end of the cornerback position.

No argument from me there. All that investiture in the backfield over many years (and in fact, in the defense in general), coupled with the team commitment to high RAS players everywhere, aided by a high-quality DC, means I am much more enthusiastic about their prospect of them being a top quality defense for the next several years. Even if T.Williams is right at the very end of his career, most of the CB/S room is young talent. I'm pretty happy with what the Packers have there, at this time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:46:19 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
Hopefully not the kiss of death.

Zach Heilprin

WR Davante Adams likes rookie safety Darnell Savage:

"He’s going to be that guy. I can tell. We got a steal."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »
B, I think there may be several spots available between that crowd.  So, I'd think even if some of those other guys do well, our own 6th rounder has the job to lose.  Particularly if the coordinator is talking up his coverage skills. 

I admit I have a ton of respect for NFL management teams, others as well as our own.  I also know released guys often get 2nd chances and sometimes make it back into the league. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »
Green Bay hasn't been strong up the middle for years. Now they will be and I don't see any relief along the edge. This defense will have some issues with youth mistakes and position alignments. By the middle or even by the 2nd qtr of the season, the Packers defense could be playing like a top five defense dictating what offenses can do. At least that's what I see.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
Like sands through the hourglass,

Field Yates

Verified account

@FieldYates
Follow
Follow @FieldYates

More
Packers first round S Darnell Savage has been placed on the non-football illness list to begin training camp.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 02:36:34 PM »

Well isn't this just great, they draft a guy because he is a heady defensive safety and right before TC he has his wisdom removed. Just the Packers luck!

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky Retweeted Field Yates
Just had his wisdom teeth taken out, I’m told. No football concerns here.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »

Well isn't this just great, they draft a guy because he is a heady defensive safety and right before TC he has his wisdom removed. Just the Packers luck!

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky Retweeted Field Yates
Just had his wisdom teeth taken out, I’m told. No football concerns here.

From what I've seen of this guy, I'm more concerned about his opponent's teeth than his.