September 14, 2019, 10:29:15 PM

Author Topic: The 53 Game  (Read 3860 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The 53 Game
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
This is my 'gettin' the cart ahead of the horse with much yet to be determined' 53.

QB - (3) Aaron Rodgers, Tim Boyle, DeShone Kizer
(I wonder if they roll with just 2 QB's on the 53? Can Boyle still be stashed on PS along with Wilkins?)

RB - (3) Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Dexter Williams
(With the hammy issues for Jones & Williams, I can see a 4th RB)

FB - (1) Danny Vitale
(Rumors circulating that MLF might want 2 FB's...…….very active position in this offense)

WR - (6) Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis, Geronimo Allison
(Can't see Moore on the 53, and unless he gets healthy fast, Davis is in trouble too...…...not hard to imagine only keeping 5 WR's as well)

TE - (3) Jace Sternberger, Jimmy Graham, Robert Tonyan
(Makes sense)

OL - (10) David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Corey Linsley, Elgton Jenkins, Cole Madison, Lane Taylor, Alex Light, Billy Turner, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman
(I see only 9 OL. Nijman goes to PS)

DL - (6) Kenny Clark, Montravius Adams, Dean Lowry, Kingley Keke, Tyler Lancaster, James Looney
(makes sense)

EDGE - (5) Rashan Gary, Kyler Fackrell, Greg Roberts (PUP), Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith
(makes sense, but would like to find a way for Gilbert to stick, but if Roberts >Gilbert cool)

ILB - (4) Blake Martinez, Oren Burks, Ty Summers, Curtis Bolton
(makes sense, also comment of Burks to IR)

CB - (7) Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Ka'Dar Hollman, Kabion Ento, Tramon Williams, Tony Brown
(makes sense, unless they want to go 6 deep. King's health scares me)

S - (4) Darnell Savage, Raven Greene, Adrian Amos, Ibraheim Campbell (PUP)
(makes sense, but gotta cross your fingers on waiting 6 weeks for Campbell)

K - (1) Mason Crosby
(yep)

P - (1) JK Scott
(yep)

LS - (1) Hunter Bradley
(yep)

Yes that is 55, but Roberts and Campbell start the season on the PUP. Burks probably makes the original 53 and then is placed on IR with Crawford signed back to the 53 to replace him.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
This is my 'gettin' the cart ahead of the horse with much yet to be determined' 53.

QB - (3) Aaron Rodgers, Tim Boyle, DeShone Kizer
(I wonder if they roll with just 2 QB's on the 53? Can Boyle still be stashed on PS along with Wilkins?)

RB - (3) Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Dexter Williams
(With the hammy issues for Jones & Williams, I can see a 4th RB)

FB - (1) Danny Vitale
(Rumors circulating that MLF might want 2 FB's...…….very active position in this offense)

WR - (6) Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis, Geronimo Allison
(Can't see Moore on the 53, and unless he gets healthy fast, Davis is in trouble too...…...not hard to imagine only keeping 5 WR's as well)

TE - (3) Jace Sternberger, Jimmy Graham, Robert Tonyan
(Makes sense)

OL - (10) David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Corey Linsley, Elgton Jenkins, Cole Madison, Lane Taylor, Alex Light, Billy Turner, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman
(I see only 9 OL. Nijman goes to PS)

DL - (6) Kenny Clark, Montravius Adams, Dean Lowry, Kingley Keke, Tyler Lancaster, James Looney
(makes sense)

EDGE - (5) Rashan Gary, Kyler Fackrell, Greg Roberts (PUP), Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith
(makes sense, but would like to find a way for Gilbert to stick, but if Roberts >Gilbert cool)

ILB - (4) Blake Martinez, Oren Burks, Ty Summers, Curtis Bolton
(makes sense, also comment of Burks to IR)

CB - (7) Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Ka'Dar Hollman, Kabion Ento, Tramon Williams, Tony Brown
(makes sense, unless they want to go 6 deep. King's health scares me)

S - (4) Darnell Savage, Raven Greene, Adrian Amos, Ibraheim Campbell (PUP)
(makes sense, but gotta cross your fingers on waiting 6 weeks for Campbell)

K - (1) Mason Crosby
(yep)

P - (1) JK Scott
(yep)

LS - (1) Hunter Bradley
(yep)

Yes that is 55, but Roberts and Campbell start the season on the PUP. Burks probably makes the original 53 and then is placed on IR with Crawford signed back to the 53 to replace him.

OC Hackett had some interesting things to say about Lazard and Shepherd.

https://www.packers.com/video/hackett-on-jones-he-can-stretch-the-defense

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
the before the third pre-season game edition~!

Offense (26):

QB:  Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle
RB:  Jones, J. Williams, D. Williams
FB:  Vitale
WR:  Adams, MVS, Allison, Kumerow, St. Brown, Davis
TE:  Graham, Lewis, Tonyan, Sternberger
OL:  Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Jenkins, Light, Madison, Patrick

---

Defense (24):

DL:  Clark, Lowry, Adams, Keke, Lancaster
OLB:  Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Fackrell
ILB:  Martinez, Burks, Bolton, Summers
CB:  Alexander, King, T. Williams, Brown, Jackson, Holloman
S:  Savage, Amos, Greene, Jones, Campbell

---

Special Teams (3):
K:  Crosby
P:  Scott
LS:  Bradley

---

Practice Squad:  Shepard (WR), Lazard (WR), Nijman (OL), Looney (DL), Sullivan (CB), Ento (CB), Jamerson (S), Brown (DL), some FB, some RB

---

Thoughts:
  • I've seen a lot of people predict that the Packers will only keep two QBs--Rodgers and Kizer--but given Rodgers' injury history the last few seasons, that seems like a very risky proposition, especially since Kizer hasn't shown much improvement during his tenure. I guess the Packers could always try to sneak Boyle onto the practice squad; I doubt he'd have the appeal of, say, a Taysum Hill. Ideally, the Packers would go and get a vet at QB (I've said they should have signed Kaep for the past few seasons), but my guess is that Gutey goes with all three or with Kizer with the hopes of stashing Boyle.
  • WR is once again the most intriguing position in training camp. Adams, MVS, Allison, and Kumerow feel like the only locks at this stage. After that, I have no clue what will happen. I really like St. Brown's potential, and per the beat, Davis finally looks like he can contribute on offense and not just on special teams. Shepard and Lizard have played really well, both in practice and in pre-season games, and each offers something different and desirable: Shepard is the only true slot receiver, and he's flashed on special teams, which could make Davis expendable; Lizard has great size. It'll be really interesting to see how this shakes out. I will say that I don't see any place for Moore despite all of the other exciting attributes he possesses: the guy just can't catch the ball consistently.
  • I'm not entirely confident with my TE selections. Graham and Tonyan are locks, but Lewis could get cut if Tonyan proves he can be a worthy blocker. Sternberger continues to miss time, and while I suspect he'll return soon, he might end up on IR for a redshirt year.
  • The back end of the OL will be interesting. I think there's a slight chance Taylor is cut if Jenkins earns the starting job, but I'd be against such a move, as it doesn't take much to imagine a scenario in which Bulaga gets hurt, Turner kicks out to RT, and Jenkins jumps in at RG. Ultimately, I think Madison, McCray, and Patrick (and maybe Pankey) are battling for the final two spots. Madison has the most upside, and of those guys, he seems the most likely to get claimed on waivers. McCray is more versatile than Patrick, and as such, he's getting the nod in a lot of roster mocks. I think Patrick is the better player, however, so I went with him.
  • I initially had Gilbert on the 53, but I ended up cutting him, which is to say: I think there's a chance he still makes this team. Going with only four OLBs in a 3-4, especially when two of them (Z. Smith and Gary) can kick inside, might be insufficient.
  • At ILB, the only two I feel confident will be on the 53 to start the season are Martinez and Bolton. While I'm pleased that Burks' injury might not be season ending, it might land him on the IR nonetheless if they think he won't be ready until the second-ish half of the season. Summers is an interesting prospect with incredible athleticism, but he sure forgets to wrap up and thus misses a lot of tackles. If Burks is on IR, I could see Crawford making the team--and he might regardless ahead of Summers given the former's special teams aptitude.
  • S could result in a few different configurations. I have Jones making the team, but he's still...sick? I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before the season starts, as others have suggested. I sure would like to see him get a chance as an ILB or a box nickel safety, though. Like many, I have fond memories of his game against the Bengals from his rookie year. Campbell is also a question mark. I assume he's going to be on the team eventually, and Pettine really likes him, but as of now, he still hasn't returned from the torn ACL.
  • I'm not sure if everyone I've projected onto the practice squad is actually eligible. I reserved the last two spots for a fullback and a running back; it seems likely they'll have one of each on the PS given the style of offense LaFleur wants to run coupled with the collective health concerns for the players they currently have in those positions.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:22:04 PM by big ror »
"cram it up your cramhole, lafleur."

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 02:42:31 AM »
Just a few random thoughts................Lazard will never make it to the practice squad if he is cut. With the lack of depth @ ILB, how could Josh Jones being the hybrid athlete that he is, not make the 53?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 04:33:17 AM »
QB Rodgers, Boyle
RB A.Jones, J.Williams, D.Williams, late addition post cutdown
FB Lazard
WR D.Adams, MVS, G.Allison, J.Kumerow, T.Davis, ESB
TE J.Graham, R.Tonyan, M.Lewis, J.Sternberger
OL D.Bakhtiari, L.Taylor, C.Linsley, B.Turner, B.Bulaga, E.Jenkins, A.Light, J.McCray, L.Patrick
=26

DL K.Clark, D.Lowry, M.Adams, K.Keke, T.Lancaster
OLB Z.Smith, P.Smith, K.Fackrell, R.Gary, R.Ramsey
ILB B.Martinez, C.Bolton, J.Crawford, T.Summers
CB J.Alexander, K.King, T.Brown, T.Williams, K.Hollman, J.Jackson
 S  A.Amos, D.Savage, R.Greene, I.Campbell
=24

Crosby, Scott, Bradley
=3

IR O.Burks. I believe he has to be on the final 53 to go to IR, so Summers is on PS for a week, then OB goes to IR and Summers is brought back.
released/traded J.Jones

Many 53's are likely to look similar, but it is always those last one or two spots that are so hard to get right.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:57:38 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
Not sure I understand the Lazard @ FB logic?

Also, I’m getting the feeling that Sternberger goes to IR. Somebody needs to take out Lonnie Johnson’s kneecaps.

Plus Ibrahim Campbell will start season on PUP, IMO.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 07:13:47 AM »
QB -Rodgers, Boyle
RB - Jones, Williams, Ford
FB - Vitale, Bohanon
TE - Graham, Tonyan, Lewis
WR - Adams, MVS, Allison, ESB, Lazard, Shepherd, Davis
OL - Bak, BB, Taylor, Turner, Linsley, Jenkins, Light, Madison
Offense=25

OLB - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Fackrell, Ramsey
ILB - Martinez, Bolton, Crawford, Summer
DL - Clark, Lowry, Adams, Keke, Lancaster, Brown
CB - Tramon, Alexander, Brown, Jackson, Ento, Sullivan
S - Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones
Defense = 25

K - Crosby
P - Scott
LS - Bradley
ST’s =3

PUP - Campbell, Roberts
IR - Sternberger

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
It is becoming an annual thing, Packers fans and their over estimation of the WR's on the 90 man roster. The chatter of Darius Shepherd and Allen Lazard has gone from feel good underdog stories to over the top roster locks hyperbole. Barring injuries to others they are still very much longshots to make the opening day 53 roster. Shepherd seems to be the ideal PS player for this season.

And no Lazard isn't going to magically become a FB overnight, if he makes the roster it will be as a 6th or 7th WR only.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

Also, I’m getting the feeling that Sternberger goes to IR. Somebody needs to take out Lonnie Johnson’s kneecaps.

Sternberger back and practicing today, plans to play against the Raiders.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

Yep. Just saw that.

First peep I’ve heard about Sternberger since he got earholed by Johnson

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »

1) Oops ! That was meant to be Vitale. Well done for picking it up.............it proves you read through it !
2) You are probably right on Ibrahim as well, I'm hoping he can be ready, but my including him is more about me seeing him in the longer term plans (ie through the majority of the season).
3) Sternberger to IR. Another good call that would free up another spot as I doubt he would be anything other than an inactive through this season if he was on the roster. Of course, like Oren Burks, he would have to be on the roster to start with, to then go on IR.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »

Yep. Just saw that.

First peep I’ve heard about Sternberger since he got earholed by Johnson

MLF has other plans for Sternberger.

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky

LaFleur said Sternberger will be held out Thursday vs. Oakland.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
Now I'm curious about Sternberger.

He hasn't participated in camp since August 5th.

Based on such little info coming out about him, until today, it could be anyones guess as to whether or not he's going to be any kind of an asset on the 53 this year.
Going with 4 TE's and one of them doing nothing all season isn't something I'm really comfortable thinking about.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »
Now I'm curious about Sternberger.

He hasn't participated in camp since August 5th.

Based on such little info coming out about him, until today, it could be anyones guess as to whether or not he's going to be any kind of an asset on the 53 this year.
Going with 4 TE's and one of them doing nothing all season isn't something I'm really comfortable thinking about.

But it's totally in line with what the Packers have done in recent years, especially with young and developing players. Last year, for instance, the Packers allowed Moore, Tonyan, and Light to eat up roster spots even though none of them made a significant contribution.

Moreover, I'm not sure Sternberger's injury matters much in terms of the depth chart: most assumed he would receive negligible snaps this year as he adjusted to the game both mentally and physically. I know I didn't expect Sternberger to contribute much of anything in year one given the TEs already on the roster.
"cram it up your cramhole, lafleur."

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 11:54:47 PM »
There are 8 game-day-inactives every week.  No problem stashing red-shirts there. 

The notion that either Lazard or Shepherd will get picked up seems remote to me.  Both seem like nice PS candidates to me. 

RT, I don't see carrying 10 OL.  Only 7 game-day-active anyway.  Not sure we want to use 3 of the game-day-inactives on depth-linemen, especially for ones who aren't develpmental prospects.