July 19, 2019, 06:27:33 PM

Author Topic: Supplemental draft  (Read 542 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Supplemental draft
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »
No picks in the 4th. It should get interesting now.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 10:54:32 AM »
The Cardinals select Thompson in the 5th round, 6 picks ahead of the Packers. End of the Thompson to the Packers hopes/drama.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

Tom Pelissero

Verified account

@TomPelissero
Follow
Follow @TomPelissero

More
The NFL supplemental draft has ended with just one player picked: Washington State DB Jalen Thompson to #Cardinals in Round 5.

West Virginia WR Marcus Simms, Syracuse LB Shyheim Cullen, Northland CC TE Devonaire Clarington and St. Francis DB Bryant Perry are now free agents.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
This may not be the end. After all, he is only on the 90 man roster. Will he make the cut to 53? And if he doesn't, the Packers could have another chance to pick him up on the waiver wire. And if not this season, next year presents new opportunities. But then again, there will be a new draft class, new FA's, and quite possibly some of the guys on the roster could take that proverbial "next step".
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »
It’s possible that the Ibrahim Campbell talk gets louder now. He played for Pettine in Cleveland and had18 tackles in 3 games for the Packers last year before his ACL went kaflooie.
He’s an unsigned FA, so GB could sign him as soon as he can pass a physical.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »
If Jalen is taken, I believe that will be 3 players taken in the supplemental drafts in the last 12 years. Total. Not a lot of action in the supplementals.

Actually a few more than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_supplemental_draft_picks

Well, we could have a discussion about how many of those guys are "players," but you're right, it was 10, not three.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
If Jalen is taken, I believe that will be 3 players taken in the supplemental drafts in the last 12 years. Total. Not a lot of action in the supplementals.

Actually a few more than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_supplemental_draft_picks

Well, we could have a discussion about how many of those guys are "players," but you're right, it was 10, not three.

Kosar was probably the most sought after of the bunch.  He had 3 or 4 teams clamoring and trading up for the pick.  Cleveland ended up trading quite a bit to Buffalo for the pick.  Pete Rozelle had to get involved because Kosars eligibility for the supplemental draft was all jacked up and teams had made trades thinking he was coming out. Rozelle basically told Kosar it was up to him if he wanted to come out or stay for the next draft.  Kosar came out, and was drafted by the Browns.  There were a lot of moving parts to that sup draft.  I dont think theres been anything like it since.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:51:50 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
Some final word information from Tony Pauline's mailbag.

Tony, you wrote an article the night before the supplemental draft and said three teams were targeting Jalen Thompson; the Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, and Arizona Cardinals.  You were right on the mark with Arizona.  Any word on how close the other two were to bidding on Thompson?

I was told the night before Wednesday’s draft that the Packers decided not to use a pick on Thompson during the supplemental draft despite the fact they liked him.  Their game plan was to go hard if Thompson was not selected in the draft and offer him a big free agent contract.  I was informed the Texans put in a fifth-round bid for Thompson but it was too late as the Cardinals got to him first.

Were there any other teams interested in Thompson?  Were you hearing of any late interest?

The Minnesota Viking were doing a lot of digging deep and the belief was they had put in a late round bid (6th/7th) for him. However, this is only what I’ve heard so there is no confirmation. The New York Jets also had a lot of interest in Thompson but like the Packers, they were not going to use a draft pick on him. Rather, they were looking to outbid everyone else with a free agent offer.  They did the same thing in last year’s supplemental draft with Brandon Bryant, who is still on the roster.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks RT. Nice insight from Tony.

I read yesterday that Natrell Jamerson is being groomed to play that same position as Thompson would have been pegged for. The player that is the starter at that spot is Darnell Savage.

There is still talk that Ibrahiem Campbell may be brought back at some point as well, as he is versed in Pettine's defense and played well in the 3 games he played last year.
Still recovering from ACL surgery, so he might be a backup plan in case someone goes down during the season.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »
I have revisited the Campbell re-sign thought a few times this off season and IMHO I think Campbell and Mo Wilkerson both are emergency signing if the Packers have an injury at their positions only. I base that on nothing more than my gut feeling, but I don't believe the Packers cut a young player with potential just to carry a damaged goods veteran for depth only purposes.