September 18, 2019, 09:37:14 PM

Author Topic: Supplemental draft  (Read 1040 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Supplemental draft
« on: July 08, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
The NFL has their supplemental draft on Wednesday and the Packers just might be players this year.

The Packers have been sitting at 89 players on the roster since the release of Bibbs, could they have been keeping a spot open for Washington State safety Jalen Thompson?

Reported by Tony Pauline that twenty-six teams were on hand for Thompson’s workout including the director of scouting for the Houston Texans.  He measured 5103 and 186 pounds with hands at 8 3/8 inches and an arm length of 31 ¼ inches.

Thompson hit 33.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet-4-inches in the broad jump and completed 11 reps on the bench press.  As I reported on twitter, his initial forty time came in around 4.47 seconds with his second clocking 4.56 seconds.

The other marks included 11.68 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle, 4.16 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.98 seconds in the three cone. The position drills were run primarily by the Atlanta Falcons, though other teams stepped in and requested specific drills.

Thompson is meeting with the Green Bay Packers this afternoon as the team has shown a lot of interest in the safety.  Other teams lining up for Thompson included the New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams, Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals.

Stamped as a fourth-round prospect by several scouts this spring, the feeling is Thompson will get drafted somewhere in the later rounds during Wednesday’s supplemental draft, which begins at 1PM.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Supplemental draft
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
The somewhat intriguing question is whether any team will offer a higher draft pick (I've read a second rounder is possible- no link, because I read that a while ago). As always, the worth of the player is in the eye of the beholder.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
The Packers seem very serious about possibly taking Thompson with a pick, if that happens I would expect a move of Josh Jones in the next day or two after that. It would be a fire sale of Jones, guessing a player for player deal for another teams underachiever. The next few days might be interesting to watch play out.

Tony Pauline

Follow @TonyPauline

More
Can confirm; the Green Bay Packers flew Jalen Thompson/S to their facility after yesterday's workout for medicals and interviews in preparation for tomorrow's supplemental draft.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
I’ve got no problem with that line of thinking (player for player).

Would be nice if they could get another TE for him, but that’s just me wishing on a star.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
The somewhat intriguing question is whether any team will offer a higher draft pick (I've read a second rounder is possible- no link, because I read that a while ago). As always, the worth of the player is in the eye of the beholder.

Stranger things have happened, but I dont see Gute taking him unless he falls into the late rounds. I think the Packers would be much more secretive if they were seriously interested.  This sounds like a "We are leaving no stone unturned" statement.  Guess well find out tomorrow how interested they are.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
If Jalen is taken, I believe that will be 3 players taken in the supplemental drafts in the last 12 years. Total. Not a lot of action in the supplementals.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:19:09 AM »
Where would you expect him to be taken ? Fourth, fifth round pick maybe ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 06:42:35 AM »
If Jalen is taken, I believe that will be 3 players taken in the supplemental drafts in the last 12 years. Total. Not a lot of action in the supplementals.

Actually a few more than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_supplemental_draft_picks

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »

Hoping the Packers won't spend higher than a 4th. If someone ahead of them in the draft order is also a good likelihood of taking him, they may feel the need to use a 3rd if they are that high on him. Kind of like the Giants and Sam Beal last season.  Personally hope someone else takes him, if the pick is going to be that high.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »

Some good insight from Tony Pauline here.

draftanalyst.com/supplemental-draft-latest-word-around-league

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
Some good insight from Tony Pauline here.

draftanalyst.com/supplemental-draft-latest-word-around-league

Aha, my instincts (4th to 5th round talent) were supported by Pauline, though he adds that despite his value, he may go one or even two rounds later, as teams don't like to use up the following years picks. If you lose a 6th or 7th rounder though, no big deal.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »
The Packers own the 10th pick in each round of the supplemental draft today and also the 21st pick in the 7th round if they should chose to use any of them. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
Round 1 is completed and no player was selected, as was expected.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
Bad info, no picks in the 2nd.

Tom Pelissero

Verified account

@TomPelissero
 4m
4 minutes ago

More
Round 2 over. No picks.